Why aren't diesel oils more widely used ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If diesel oils are so tough and heavy duty, why aren't half you guys using it in your gassers ? I'm gearing up for a new OCI and I'm seriously thinking about Delo synthetic blend 10W-30. It's the factory recommended viscosity, but I don't know what GM would say about using it in a Buick.
confused2.gif

From what i've read on here, a lot of people are using oils like rotella in their gassers. I used to run rotella t6 in a jetta 2.slow.

I'd read on here a long time ago that diesel oils "can" be abrasive to gas engines,something to do with the scrubbing effect of the soot removing additives. Urban legend maybe?

I used Rotella 15w40 when I had my motorcycle. UOA's were uneventful. If I ever went away from diesels, I wouldn't hesitate to use my Rotella 5w40 in a gasser.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd read on here a long time ago that diesel oils "can" be abrasive to gas engines,something to do with the scrubbing effect of the soot removing additives. Urban legend maybe?

You see, that's why people don't use them is because of myths like that.
There's also the myth about ruining your catalytic converter too.
We need to all come together and separate myths from facts.
Somebody should start a thread about this!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'm gearing up for a new OCI and I'm seriously thinking about Delo synthetic blend 10W-30.
confused2.gif

I think that would be a great idea to try during the summer where you live. O'Reilly's has the Delo 400 Severe Duty 15w30 on sale this month. I'd be curious how it did for you in that hot climate and if cold starts seemed harder.

The attributes provided by the diesel oils may not be of value in gas engines.

We overthink this sometimes.

A nice API SN is typically all you need in a gas application.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
A nice API SN is typically all you need in a gas application.

But is it tough enough ? That's the question.
21.gif

I have been using it for years during summer months to clean the rings in my Saturn. At 268,000 miles it has not destroyed my Cat. It is helping oil consumption. I cannot say that for any synthetic or conventional oil I used.

There may be Diesel specific friction modifiers in HDEOs.
Or no FMs at all, which may impact fuel economy.
What is high mileage engine oil, besides a watered down, additive challenged, friction modified HDEO?

Last edited:
If diesel oils are so tough and heavy duty, why aren't half you guys using it in your gassers ? I'm gearing up for a new OCI and I'm seriously thinking about Delo synthetic blend 10W-30. It's the factory recommended viscosity, but I don't know what GM would say about using it in a Buick.
confused2.gif

Technically speaking none of those are Diesel oils. They are Mixed fleet oils. A diesel oil wouldn't be rated for gasoline use.

I am probably one of the few here who uses Rotella T6 5W-40 in my specific application. I also probably make some cringe on here.

It is used in my 2009 Accord with a 4cyl. I used to consume approximately a quart of oil every 1,500 miles. With the T6, use a quart every 4,000 miles. Big improvement IMO. The K24 in my Accord now does fall under a warranty extension, and can be tested (measuring oil levels) to see if it qualifies for new pistons and rings, but it runs way too sweet for me to want someone to tear into it. For now I'll live with T6 and some consumption.

The T6 has had no ill effects and IMO the engine is smoother when blasted up to it's 7k redline, that of which the car is no stranger to under some more than spirited driving.

I absolutely love it.

confused2.gif

HDEO is thicker then most other oils of the same weight. Most cars are now calling for 0w20-5w20 to maximize MPG and you just don't see those weights in HDEO.

At least that's my assumption. I used Delo 400 10w30 in my Regal and it made the car tick for a good min or so every morning. My Regal is a weird one tho it prefers thinner oils. Every car I've had in the past always loved thicker oils but I've gotten 250k-370k out of all my recent vehicles so they probably had more wear.

Well, you'all know me, I'm an HDEO guy. Fleet oils are my preferred because they fit everything and offer good protection.

If you have a warranty issue, stay with teh book. But if out of warranty, who cares what the OEM's say. They say different things for different markets, same engine anyway ...

I say go for it and sleep well
laugh.gif

I use Delvac MX 15/40 in a 993cc 3-cyl Daihatsu. Original spec is 10/30 so its a bit over-specified.

Seems alright, but I don't have any data, so who knows?

I've seen it alleged that the diesel AW agents and detergents are optimised for higher temperatures and don't work well together in a petrol engine.

Last edited:
confused2.gif

Diesel only oils tend to be too thick, as most of them are 15w40. They often contain too much Zinc based additives for some exhaust systems.

Oddly enough if you use an 0w40 rather than a 15w40 it will save you fuel when the engine is warming up. That can be significant if you do a lot of short trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back