V-Power Nitro+ Nitrogen gives HP gains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read on the previous formulations of "Shell premium Gasohol" known as V-Power. Now it's NITRO+

Is it just as good as the older formulation?

How are they able to get mpg gains(up to 5hp gains/mpg gains) with just additives?

That is amazing, how much more gains a add pack can do.

I've seen the best gains(mpg) with Phllips66 and Shell. I've tried Marathon(with STP additive) and BP. However I did not get the same effect.

Any comments on Shell NITRO+? Is it the best formulation on the market right now? (if not, tell me so I can try other brands)

Last edited:
It should give you 5hp as it costs 38 cents/gal MORE than other top tier premium in my town.

But it doesn't, so for me? NO SALE

Last edited:
I wouldn't be sure about the horsepower claims but it certainly has the most potent add pack as far as top tier gas goes. If you used nothing but Shell premium you'd never need any cleaner for the fuel system.

A guy at work had a P0420 with his 2.4 2007 Honda Accord and it just wouldn't go away. I told him to run a few tanks of Shell 93 and voila the code went away.

V-Power premium (with nitrogen) is the only ethanol-free gas in Canada. I don't know if it gives extra HP, but it's the best gas for non-flex fuel cars (if 91 required, or recommended though).

Shell V-Power is the pretty much the only fuel that my Escape has ever had (minus the tank that I drove off the lot with from the dealership.)

I don't know about the difference between the "old" formulation Vpower and the "nitroplus" but they have always worked well for me. I haven't seen any horsepower gains, but I suppose this could be possible if you compared it to a bottom of the barrel bunker fuel.

I have seen increases in the mileage though. Many here will scoff but you may want to do a hard count. The numbers just may surprise you!

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I wouldn't be sure about the horsepower claims but it certainly has the most potent add pack as far as top tier gas goes. If you used nothing but Shell premium you'd never need any cleaner for the fuel system.

I would gather that if there are HP gains, they are being a bit optimistic and are probably comparing to fuels with fewer or no friction modifiers than the V-Power Nitro+.

Originally Posted By: dgunay
V-Power premium (with nitrogen) is the only ethanol-free gas in Canada. I don't know if it gives extra HP, but it's the best gas for non-flex fuel cars (if 91 required, or recommended though).

Esso premium, Petro-Canada premium, and Co-op premium are also ethanol free. The Husky/Mohawk second highest octane premium is also ethanol free, with their highest octane rating premium having ethanol.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
I always thought nitrogen was the dead part of combustion, it's not air or fuel right? is it beneficial or just cheap filler?

It won't be elemental nitrogen. It will be part of an amine.

Originally Posted By: Garak

I would gather that if there are HP gains, they are being a bit optimistic and are probably comparing to fuels with fewer or no friction modifiers than the V-Power Nitro+.

Do fuels have friction modifiers?

I know UCL effect is the rationale for adding a bit of 2-stroke oil on a...um...self medication basis, but I didn't think any pump fuels came with UCL already in.

In Quebec, for having contacted each of the following brand's customer service,
I was told 91 premium is ethanol-free at these gas stations:

Crevier, Ultramar, Esso, Shell
perhaps more but these are local to me.

additional infos : http://www.pure-gas.org/

Originally Posted By: Garak
I know the Shell fuel has friction modifiers, and some other gasolines do. Whether all gasolines have friction modifiers, I do not know.

Interesting, I was not aware that there were UCL's in Shell fuels... surely it's better than adding MMO!

There are news articles online that talk about the OLD formulation, and how it produced 5hp gains, 2nd was BP Invigorate. Now I did not run V-Power at that time.

Originally Posted By: mlatour

In Quebec, for having contacted each of the following brand's customer service,
I was told 91 premium is ethanol-free at these gas stations:

Crevier, Ultramar, Esso, Shell
perhaps more but these are local to me.

additional infos : http://www.pure-gas.org/

I saw that web site before. How do I know people posting to that web site are posting accurate information?

"Ontario: Costco 91; Canadian Tire 91; Ultramar 91"

Costco and Canadian Tire? I'm kinda skeptical.

As far as I know Shell is the only gas station that advertises their 91 to be ethanol free at the pump.

Last edited:
That's why I contacted each brand's customer service to confirm.
Also local to me, Petro-Canada, Petro-T & Pétroles Bélisles (Quebec only chains?) all specified their 91 is blended with ethanol.

As mentionned in my previous post, the other brand's CS reached confirmed their 91 was ethanol-free in Qc.

Some Ultramar stations will advertise on the pump:
87 / may contain 10% ethanol
89 / may contain 5% ethanol
91 / does not contain ethanol

but most pumps don't state specific % content,
just a 'may contain ethanol' on the 87 and 89 selectors
but, no mention on the 91 selector button.

Petro-Canada Ultra 94 is also blended with ethanol here in Qc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Interesting, I was not aware that there were UCL's in Shell fuels... surely it's better than adding MMO!

Well, we'll need a formulator in this thread to make sure we got the functions of these components right. Shell advertises friction modification and corrosion inhibition. There certainly might be UCL, but one never knows.

camrydriver111: mlatour is definitely right about Esso, and I can confirm the ones I mentioned. And you are very correct about the puregas website. It's only as good as what people submit to it, which could be a load of manure. We don't get Petro-Canada 94 here, only the 91, which is ethanol free. Our only 94 is Husky/Mohawk, which is ethanol blended, whereas their 91 is E0.

Considering there are so few refineries in Canada left, it would make sense that all 91s are ethanol free. I know here in London, there is only one bulk gasoline distribution centre and that all our stations are supplied from there. The specific brand formulas are then mixed afterwards. 91 should be straight gas, 89 is 50% 91 and 50% 87 (which is 10% ethanol) to make 5% ethanol and 87 is 10%.

Yes, that does make sense. If Husky/Mohawk's own 91 is ethanol free, and they've been doing ethanol blends for decades, it makes perfect sense to me. Their 94 octane is an ethanol blend, all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back