BMW R1150RT - 5W40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted this in error in motorcycle UOA.

2003 BMW R1150RT owned since new. 3.7 qt. oil supply and factory oil cooler with oil temp gauge. Dry clutch,Air/oil cooled with separate trans/clutch with their own oil. I usually have several big bikes in addition to the Beemer so it has less than 18K on the odometer or roughly 1500 miles yearly in Central Texas typically solo and 10 miles per ride. Has had Mobil 1 15W50 almost since new with oil changes usually at under 2K with filter every other time.
I have 9 qts. of Pennzoil 5W40 Ultra Euro left over from my Mercedes Bluetec 350turbo diesel. This stuff was expensive and I would like to run it in this bike. It is the Ferrari/Maserati approved version (I'm a sucker for advertising!)and this was one of the few lubes I could find that carried the mandatory MB 229.5 rating required under warranty. Here are the ratings: API SM/CF ACEAA3/B3/B4 BMW LL-01 Chrysler MS-10725 MB 229.3 MB 229.5 VW 502 00/503 01/505 Porsche A40 Ferrari Maserati Fiat 9.5535 Z2
So with all these approvals it seems to me that this oil would be good enough for a 90 horsepower motorbike. What say all you oil gurus............

I feel certain that BMW would support use of that oil up to a certain ambient temperature. I've used 5W40 in a much older BMW motorcycle for years. One difference is that I'm in a much more moderate climate than Texas although perhaps your oil cooler compensates for that. I'd base your decision on the oil temperatures you experience. If it doesn't exceed 100 Deg C I'd use the 5W40 without any hesitation.

I have an '02RT, since new. I have always used 15W/50 Mobil 1. Part of the attraction is the ZDDP levels in this grade of oil, and that BMW recommended XXW/50.

This is an air/oil cooled engine, not water cooled, and oil recommendations should account for this

That said, these engines do not seem to be hard on their oil, so you can likely use what you have, without an issue. If it rattles......Change it out to something with a "50" on the right side.

Thanks guys. I found a VOA on this oil. I should also state that I don't mind changing this oil at 1000 to 1500 mile intervals to be certain that it has hopefully sheared a very small amount.
Boron 74
Barium 0.1
Calcium 2462
Magnesium 14
Molybdenum 1.1
Sodium 4.0
Phosphorus 822
Sulfur 2096
Zinc 1139
Visc@40°C 87.4
Visc@100°C 14.54
Oxidation --- ---
TAN 2.14
TBN 10.4

Should be fine for crankcase. I wouldn't use it in the trans', even with a dry clutch. You probably already know that.

Should be fine for crankcase. I wouldn't use it in the trans', even with a dry clutch. API "SM" says all I need to know. I'm guessing an 03 air head spec's API "SG" or maybe "SL" and "SM" exceeds both.. You probably already know that.

I run Redline Shockproof in the trans and some other super-duper syn in the rear end.

I rode a 2004 R1150RT for many years and I only ran 15W50 and 20W50 in it.... well, one oil change I did use Rotella T 15W40.
You can probably get by with the oil you ask about during the cold months, but I would not use it
in that bike during the warm/hot months. My two cents

Thanks

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back