2006 Ford Taurus Shut Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son has the car in the title...well maintained with about 125,000 miles on it. Has the V-6 (not sure of the displacement) and and auto tranny. A few days ago he got stuck on a hot day in very heavy traffic near Philadelphia. After an hour of beep and creep, the car just shut down. He managed to roll over to the side of the road and after about 10 minutes, it started up and ran fine after that.

Does this car have some type of thermal sensor that cut off the engine? He got no warning lights and no other symptoms.

It'll have the ford fail-safe cooling, which will shut the engine down if it gets too hot, but before it does that, it will
Run the engine fan at full
Lockout the A/C
Limit the engine to 3 cylinders and 3000rpm
Light up the dashboard like a christmas tree.

Is there a pmh sensor in these engines?
I don't know the english term, but a sensor that detects when cylinder 1 (or 4/6) is at its highest point, so it can adjust ignition/injection accordingly.

On some european cars it has a habit of failing this way, when hot, so engine is shut down, and after like 10min cooling the sensor signal is back so the engine starts again, etc...

Usually a cheap sensor, but nobody thinks to check it since after some cooling its value are usually almost normal.

Just a thought.

Scan that car. Could be a crank or cam sensor or it could be something dumb like an ignition module overheating.

Wouldn't throw parts at it yet, unless you find *on a taurus forum* that, oh yeah, this is the pattern, and how it starts.

(If you had a 1990 ford I'd say it was your TFI ignition box.)

As far as what engine, it will most likely be 3.0, and probably the 3.0 duratec, but it could be the older vulcan engine(not sure if they still used the Vulcan that late, all though it was in production through 2008)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
It'll have the ford fail-safe cooling, which will shut the engine down if it gets too hot, but before it does that, it will
Run the engine fan at full
Lockout the A/C
Limit the engine to 3 cylinders and 3000rpm
Light up the dashboard like a christmas tree.

I think only the 4-cylinders cut down to 3
grin.gif

Zetecs definitely do that

Originally Posted By: earlyre
As far as what engine, it will most likely be 3.0, and probably the 3.0 duratec, but it could be the older vulcan engine(not sure if they still used the Vulcan that late, all though it was in production through 2008)

More likely the vulcan. They put it in the majority of Taurus's all the way through 2007. No lights on the dash? How high did the temp needle go?
Very robust engine but requires regular cooling system maintenance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back