Muhammad Ali dead at 74

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Mike Tyson also calls himself Muslim. I like Mike.'

^ Yeah, but the ear biting and the face tat is kinda off putting.

Originally Posted By: gman2304

I'm not up on my history, but I heard Iron Mike's face tattoo was a cowardly move. He was supposed to fight in Japan (?) against some guy that was supposed to be so strong he'd put Mike in a coma. So the face tat DQ'd him.

The Holyfield "ear bite" seems downright tame to what NFL athletes do today, but yeah it happened when I was about 15 and IMHO set the tone for unsportsmanlike behavior, from a big tough bad man character. Again.. Ving Thames, "Undisputed." (The first one. Low budget movies tend to have DVD only sequels.)

The movie "Undisputed," I think Ving Rhames character of Ice Man was supposed to be based on Mike Tyson. If anyone has ever seen that movie, I think you would agree.

And Will Smith was Ali in film.. Never saw, but his passing brings this to mind.

I think MOST people would rank the three greatest boxers: Ali, Foreman, Tyson. Though, some like to take jabs at boxing itself. Supposedly, there are much much better means of self defense than boxing, which may not be the best thing to do in a real actual fight. Some form of Mixed Martial Arts would be that, as your stereotypical Jaoabese Karate (the Hi-Ya! kind, im sorry to say) is also not true self defense unless maybe if you are an absolute pro at it.

Now, Krav Maga technique mixed with some kind of kickbox/KenPo or other MMA? Oh man. Boxer, watch out..

Originally Posted By: Prune_Juice
Originally Posted By: gman2304

I'm not up on my history, but I heard Iron Mike's face tattoo was a cowardly move. He was supposed to fight in Japan (?) against some guy that was supposed to be so strong he'd put Mike in a coma. So the face tat DQ'd him.

The Holyfield "ear bite" seems downright tame to what NFL athletes do today, but yeah it happened when I was about 15 and IMHO set the tone for unsportsmanlike behavior, from a big tough bad man character. Again.. Ving Thames, "Undisputed." (The first one. Low budget movies tend to have DVD only sequels.)

The movie "Undisputed," I think Ving Rhames character of Ice Man was supposed to be based on Mike Tyson. If anyone has ever seen that movie, I think you would agree.

And Will Smith was Ali in film.. Never saw, but his passing brings this to mind.

I think MOST people would rank the three greatest boxers: Ali, Foreman, Tyson. Though, some like to take jabs at boxing itself. Supposedly, there are much much better means of self defense than boxing, which may not be the best thing to do in a real actual fight. Some form of Mixed Martial Arts would be that, as your stereotypical Jaoabese Karate (the Hi-Ya! kind, im sorry to say) is also not true self defense unless maybe if you are an absolute pro at it.

Now, Krav Maga technique mixed with some kind of kickbox/KenPo or other MMA? Oh man. Boxer, watch out..

If we're talking greatest of all time in any weight class, I'd say Sugar Ray Robinson was the greatest ever. Ali was probably the greatest heavy weight ever, though some could argue that Marciano or Louis was just as good or better. In my era, Sugar Ray Leonard was the best, and better than Ali (different weight class of course) in my book...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back