13 F150 Ecoboost, Magnatec 5/30, 9108 miles

116491 total miles.
White columns Magnatec
Yellow columns Syn-blend

Things are still looking good!

Last sample

80-img002_95217d1a0f215a13352f428431a7e85d6dd39e50.jpg

Last edited:
W/O TBN....not much use. Flashpoint (335)...is very low as well.

Why Magnatec? I would move to a stouter oil such as QSUD, PP or M-1 5w30......and pay a little extra for a TBN #, the next time you use Blackstone.

While the operation of the vehicle has much to do with how a UOA looks, this engine running the GTX and Magnetec are stellar as compared to other Ecos running syn oils.

He already did TBN twice on a similar run like this I'd see no reason to do it again either.

Excellent for a syn blend in an engine known for being tough on oil. I do think 9k is your ceiling though.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

Why Magnatec? I would move to a stouter oil such as QSUD, PP or M-1 5w30......and pay a little extra for a TBN #, the next time you use Blackstone.

Who cares what the TBN is if the wear numbers are good?

Iron is less than 1ppm/1000miles. Which is the Bitog gold standard for normal wear.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86

Because if your TBN is zero, wear increases rapidly. You want to catch hit before it gets to that point. As always, more than one quality should be looked at; TBN by itself means little - except if it is 0.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

Iron is less than 1ppm/1000miles. Which is the Bitog gold standard for normal wear.

If the TBN is too low it can result in long term deposits that will interfere with the oil flow around the block. The effects of those deposits will not show up in a UOA for some time, so it is possible to get a good UOA report from using an oil or OCI that is going to cause a long term black death problem.

It would be worth trying an injection system fuel additive to see if gum deposits are causing the fuel dillution.

Last edited:
Another nice Magnatec UOA, thank you for posting KJSmith.

Your last two UOA, same oil same car, had TBN included, so I can understand why you didn't feel the need to do it three times in a row. 9000 miles seems to be the correct distance.

It's hard to go past that Magnatec with such consistently low iron numbers.

Quote:
Why Magnatec?

Why not? Seems it has proven to be a great oil for this engine.
Quote:
I would move to a stouter oil such as QSUD, PP or M-1 5w30

Why? These are some great UOA's. Again, Magnatec has proven to be plenty stout enough for this application.

Last edited:
Magnatec puts up good numbers. In fact, all of the Castrol line is top notch these days IMO.

Thanks Guys, some good comments.

Your right... the question should be why are you not using Magnatec?

Everyone has their favorites... I am open to change... but I have not seen any UOA's better than mine... so I ain't changing.

As far as the TBN. I thought a lot of what we do is create a history/baseline. Do I really need the TBN? I checked the SYN-Blend twice when I was using it... I have checked the Magnatec twice now... it looks fine. All the wear #'s are the same or lower... don't think the TBN would have changed enough to worry about. But I will check it again at some point in the future.

The fuel was probably a little self induced. I let it idle to warm up the oil before the change. That will explain some of it.
All the other numbers looked good.

Thanks for the suggestion on the fuel system cleaner. It reminds me that I need to get back on the Top Tier fuel only kick. I have been pretty lax on that for a while.

BTW, Im interested in what grade of gas you usually buy? Theres a theory floting around that these dilute worse with regular gas compared to Premium.

87 octane.

Had not heard that theory... interesting.
I have heard they have more power and get better MPG's with premium.
Have heard the same about alcohol free also.

Mine seems to like Sunoco... but its not a Top Tier.

My lifetime MPG average dropped to 18.9 this winter.

Originally Posted By: KJSmith

Your right... the question should be why are you not using Magnatec?

I have been asking myself exactly that question recently.

I'm looking for a good 10W-30, and Castrol Magnatec 10W-30 is all over the place in Australia, so why am I not using it?

I better get me some.

Nice report!!

There used to be an attitude around here that "calcium only" oils weren't the best for turbo-charged engines. There was a group of people who wouldn't recommend M1 0w40 because it had 3000ppm of calcium in it. They claimed that this high level of calcium was contributing to deposits in the motor and turbo.

But from the older TEOST data...if I remember right, I think Castrol Edge 5w30 was the best performer, hands down.

Another stellar UOA on a Eco-Boost with no mods (that you've mentioned).

Magnatec certainly seems up to the task on these engines, in fact I cannot recall seeing a UOA on a F150 Eco-Boost with any oil that looks better than your's do.

Thanks.... no mods... all stock.

Spends a lot of time on cruise @65mph.

How is your doing?

Im using Castrol Extended Performance 5W30 in my Sonata Ltd and will leave it in full 15 000 miles. Maybe do a UOA afterward just to compare the results with Amsoil and the Caterham blend results I still have.
The Castrol synthetic oil seems to be real good.

Back