Cerwin Vega AT-10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a pair that have been not used since we bought a new home theater system.
The foam surrounds are falling apart. I have found repair kits online.
We want to sell the speakers, should we sell as is or fix them and try for a higher orice?

There are plenty of Cerwin Vega fans out there. These aren't the floor standing D-series that handled around 100 watts or so and were rather famous in the 80s, are they?

I would imagine a potential buyer would like a repaired speaker, but I could be wrong.

Vegas have real good bass. I don't understand why some don't lie their sound. Sound is an individual taste, but it shaped how music should really sound for me. I have heard it called the West Coast or bass-heavy sound.

Is it one of these?
*n/m.. Those are D-series. D5 D7 D9 etc

Prune_Juice said:
There are plenty of Cerwin Vega fans out there. These aren't the floor standing D-series that handled around 100 watts or so and were rather famous in the 80s, are they?

I would imagine a potential buyer would like a repaired speaker, but I could be wrong.

Vegas have real good bass. I don't understand why some don't lie their sound. Sound is an individual taste, but it shaped how music should really sound for me. I have heard it called the West Coast or bass-heavy sound.

Is it one of these?
*n/m.. Those are D-series. D5 D7 D9 etc
[/quote
This is them.
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/200270-cerwinvega_at10/

Cerwin Vegas were one of the best commercially available rock speakers back when I was into home audio. Like chief said,they were famous for earthshaking bass. Who was it in the 80s that made those speakers called Earthmovers?

I would sell as is unless you just like working on stuff. Either way you aren't getting much for them.

I always liked the sound they put out. Not worth very much nowadays though. Not worth fixing just to sell IMHO. Sell as is.

As is. Let the new owner decide to DIY or have them refoamed. Not worth any more refoamed, (and maybe even less if not done correctly), to someone that knows and wants them.
CV's are bass heavy for sure. The polar opposite of my Klipsch KG-4.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I always liked the sound they put out. Not worth very much nowadays though. Not worth fixing just to sell IMHO. Sell as is.

Yeah, not worth the labor unless you enjoy it. Not a real difficult repair but it is involving.

I love my E312s. I just did the surround on one of them last year since owning them since 1998. It was probably my fault for using it in a car for a little while I didnt know better.

Just cannot find a receiver with decent, powerful, undistorted, good quality sound to be able to turn up the bass.

Noe they make some interesting stuff like a 18 or 21" self amplified subwoofer that has to be heavy.

I vote fix, then give to someone close like a family member or old friend whose ears could use some music.

OK, Thanks guys. I looked at a YouTube on how to repair. Looks like its not worth it to sell.

We bought a Yamaha home theater which takes up less room.

You can downsize speakers?

Is this like what Ford does? Instead of a healthy 6.2L V8 they put the EcoBoost 3.5V6 in there and call it good.

Does it work with food? Instead of eating a sirloin low in protein, eat a heavy prime rib and enjoy getting more for less.

I kid. What are your plans for this extra room? Maybe you should listen and make sure the sound doesn't worsen and have you regretting the decision/purchase.

Good luck KC

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

Is this like what Ford does? Instead of a healthy 6.2L V8 they put the EcoBoost 3.5V6 in there and call it good.

Does it work with food? Instead of eating a sirloin low in protein, eat a heavy prime rib and enjoy getting more for less.

I kid. What are your plans for this extra room? Maybe you should listen and make sure the sound doesn't worsen and have you regretting the decision/purchase.

Good luck KC

hehehe.

We did that. We got a Yamaha home theater with powered sub. It shakes the house...
plus the overall sound is great. Now for a new TV, that will be another thread.

I posted the speakers and the old JVC receiver on Let Go to see how that works.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1

hehehe.

We did that. We got a Yamaha home theater with powered sub. It shakes the house...

I have a pair of AT-15's. They shake both my neighbor's houses.

Still have a pair of AT-12s as my mains. One has been reconed (first hit of "Tom Sawyer" from an accidentally cranked M2A Basic killed it at less than two days old. Both have been refoamed at least 3-4 times. We had a Cerwin-Vega dealer/service shop in San Marcos TX for years that took care of us.

How do you properly power big floor speakers?

I rarely see a receiver go over 100 watts.

Some amps or pre amps seem to sometimes have power, but they are like $1000 on Crutchfield.

I want 200-250w X 2 to properly power mine......then may I be in peace awhile as I await getting a 15" sub in my pickup truck to soothe my jitters.

How do you properly power big floor speakers?

I rarely see a receiver go over 100 watts.

Some amps or pre amps seem to sometimes have power, but they are like $1000 on Crutchfield.

I want 200-250w X 2 to properly power mine......then may I be in peace awhile as I await getting a 15" sub in my pickup truck to soothe my jitters.

You use a separate amp with the required power output.

I got 2*120Wrms @ 6 ohms from a cheap micro hifi set. changed the speakers for a pair of pioneers though

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews7337.html

1268822616.jpeg

B000068NQH.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

something like these cerwins would've been great though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back