wife and I rode Harleys...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, finally did it Saturday: I rode a Harley. Dealer had an open house, wife was curious, so we went. She wanted to try one, the dealer invited me to ride one. I wound up on a Sportster, largely by default...most of the other people wanted to ride the big touring bikes. Well, worth a try, I suppose. It was a black 2013 with 3300 miles, and I put about 25 miles on it...it's a standard (1200 Custom, I think) model with the regular height seat, black cast wheels...had a solo seat with backrest (the "Signature" seat), a windshield, soft saddlebags, aftermarket foam grips, and Screaming Eagle slip-ons. Impressions follow...

First, the single most notable feature: the noise. The racket the pipes made was absolutely obnoxious, right from idle. It was far and away the loudest of the dozen or so bikes (one 883 Super Low and ~10 big twins), most of which had aftermarket pipes. (Even the others seemed surprised how loud it was at idle, one suggesting that whoever put the pipes on it punched out the baffles.)

Handling was better than I expected, though I didn't push an unfamiliar bike much. Ride wasn't anything impressive. One odd thing: a bump the front swallowed often sent a jolt through the back. (Rear travel is WAY too short.) Might have been the tires on this particular bike, but it seemed to like to follow grooves.

Brakes were...not bad. I was never in danger of doing a "stoppie", but also never felt any urge to pull a Fred Flintstone. (I do not recall if it had ABS.) I'm still not happy with a single front rotor (especially on a 550+lb bike), but it seemed adequate for the weight.

Power I'm honestly not sure about. Around-town was fine, but I didn't go much past 1/3 throttle, because that was about where the racket went from obnoxious to intolerable. (I honestly felt bad for anyone behind me.) Engine shook like it had Parkinson's, though it wasn't bad through the bars.

Controls were lousy. Mostly: forward controls. Don't understand the appeal, don't like them at all! (The only mid-control bike available had ape hangers.) Also, the forward controls had my knee and the air cleaner trying to occupy the same real estate pretty much the whole ride. Bars were OK, though I wished for a small (~2") pullback. Wind protection was pretty good, though I suspect weather protection in rain would be nil below the waist.

Heat from the engine was very noticeable; anytime I stopped, I was bathed in it. Not a problem when moving, but would be brutal in traffic!

now you understand why those bikes demand a premium!

lol.gif

Great review.
Just like my agent tried to sell me a falling down waterfront property. I told him I already had one. Oh yeah he says.... where?

I told him my toilet faces my bathtub and I fill up the tub and sit on the toilet and enjoy the view.... Nuff said
smile.gif

I read somewhere (think R1 or gixxer forum) that Harley is the most efficient machine at converting fuel into noise with out the side effect of horsepower. I later learned that it was not a joke. I pull in the clutch on long downgrades to recover my sanity from all that noise. My wind shield came off as it direct all of the air INTO my forehead unless I hunch over enough.

But at over 50 mpg and insurance at under 7 bucks a month, it's a perfect commuter.

Last edited:
My wife rode a big tourer, I think a Road King. She thought it was an ungainly, overweight, top-heavy pig with bad handling, a lousy gearbox, and (in her words) "scary" brakes.

I truly think the Sportster would have been fine without the Squealing Weasel pipes. Honestly...aside from that, side cases, engune guards with highway pegs, and mid controls, I'm not sure it would need much else.

I wouldn't own a Twin Cam if you gave it to me.

Last edited:
The Sportster rear suspension bottoming out is a common problem and one HD has all-but-refused to fix for many years. If I wanted a new throwback bike a 2016 Triumph twin would probably be it as they weigh less, make more power, have better brakes and better suspension than the Sportsters at a comparible price point.

The Sporty - well the owner is an idiot for putting loud pipes on it. I have a 1200 with factory pipes and it's not loud at all. That's just an ego thing and all wrong, but you can't teach some of these folks anything ...

I don't think there is a Sporty out there with stock rear suspension... They all get changed to lower, raise or improve the ride. I've had about 4 different rear suspensions on my Sporty. I'm on air ride now.

For your wife, she needs to chill a bit. You do not "ride" a big Harley, you "drive" it. More like a 1970's Cadillac
laugh.gif

Find the rhythm and let it run on an open road. Around town they can be a hand full. Out on a two-lane with miles to go, set back and enjoy the scenery
smile.gif

IF the ergonomics fit your body, it can be one of the most comfortable bikes you ever rode. I have done 11 hours in the saddle of a Glide with my wife on the back with breaks every few hours for potty and a soda, or fuel. And still walked away only tired at the end of the day. I can't say I have ever done that with any other motorcycle. And I've owned aver 40 in my life so far (road, dirt, race...), including BMW's.

In my case I can't get along with a "Wing". They drag as easily as a big Harley and they don't fit me at all - oh well...

And the handle on the Sporty you rode, get some Metzler's on the there and loose the factory rubber. The handle goes way up, the groove follow goes away completely and the confidence is doubled. Factory rubber sucks ...

Harleys are very customizable. Unlike a lot of modern bikes, they are a canvas to do what you want. Yeah a lot of riders want to be brash and annoying, but the bikes don't have to go that way at all. They have saddles, suspension, fairings, windshields, pipes, wheels, bags, luggage, brakes, you name it.

They are a throw-back to when we all had to build a bike we wanted, because they came less than stellar. They are a bike for the tinkerer and changer, not the bought it an rode it crowd... Although, there are some very nice factory Harley's, most need the personal touch to get them right for you
smile.gif

Oh, and that you did not get into it over 1/3 throttle - you missed a big smile there. A 1200 Sporty on a straight with the throttle open through the gears is a serious hang-on event
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Her biggest problem was the brakes. "Scary" was the exact word she used...said it just wouldn't stop! A close second was the fact it was just so ungainly and top-heavy. She isn't small (can flat-foot an 1150GS) and she said it took way too much effort to wrestle that pig in a parking lot. She also said for that much weight, she'd rather have a Kawasaki Concours.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Her biggest problem was the brakes. "Scary" was the exact word she used...said it just wouldn't stop! A close second was the fact it was just so ungainly and top-heavy. She isn't small (can flat-foot an 1150GS) and she said it took way too much effort to wrestle that pig in a parking lot. She also said for that much weight, she'd rather have a Kawasaki Concours.

Your wife likes sport touring bikes. My friend rides a concours and loves it. His wife hates riding on the back. He rides maybe up to 400 miles a day so we stop early for him. We normally do 550. Remember one is a sport tourer and the other is touring bike. Brakes work great on my limited.

Ha, guys owns a scooter and has the nerve to badmouth a Harley.I bet the Harley didn't get 100 miles to the gallon did it?. And it doesn't have a nifty center stand like your SCOOTER.,,,

Nor did it have weather protection, storage, the ability to get 55MPG on any grade of gas, 2 front brakes, liquid cooling, or even something as basic as a tachometer. (I honestly don't know if it has a center stand.)

No matter what - I enjoy my Softail and Ultra Classic. Different strokes for different folks.

Originally Posted By: dr2152
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Your wife likes sport touring bikes. My friend rides a concours and loves it. His wife hates riding on the back. He rides maybe up to 400 miles a day so we stop early for him. We normally do 550. Remember one is a sport tourer and the other is touring bike. Brakes work great on my limited.

No...she just likes lighter bikes. Her long-haul ride is a Honda Pacific Coast (she preferred it to the heavier Concours), and she'll put that up against any H-D ever built for long-distange touring!

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Oh, and that you did not get into it over 1/3 throttle - you missed a big smile there. A 1200 Sporty on a straight with the throttle open through the gears is a serious hang-on event
laugh.gif

Compared to what, a Cushman Eagle maybe?

Real men ride Harley! Remember it is not just a motorcycle it is a Harley !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back