Which StaBil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have several generators which are used very seldom. But I do run them at least once a month to hopefully keep the fuel fresh. And I buy fresh fuel often. A couple still experience running issues - not serious - but require some choke to maintain smoothness. I have no choice in my state and must buy ethanol gas. So which Stabil to use - Red, Yellow, Blue (Marine)?

I use the regular red stuff and it works fine. It has a strong formaldehyde smell which leads me to suspect that it's related to formaldehyde in some way. I've found the best price on it at O'Reilly Auto Parts. It's one ounce per 2.5 gallons.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Can you buy something like Tru Fuel?

+1. It's expensive but you'll never have to worry about ethanol issues. I use it in my lawn mower and weed eater.

I use the regular red Sta-Bil in all of my non-automotive gasoline. I've used E10 for decades and never had a fuel related problem. I have a couple of tractors that sit for months at a time and always fire up without an issue.

I use a 30 gallon fuel caddy and when I fill it up I simply add the Sta-Bil to it, that way I know everything that gets the fuel from the caddy-small engines, 2 stroke fuel, tractors, etc.

I also use the regular red Sta-Bil and my weed trimmer, lawnmower and leaf blower all start on the first/second pull every time after sitting during the winters. Zero issues.

I run the regular pinkish red Stabil in my generator. A card on mine says to run it every 14 days for 20 minutes if i dont follow the long storage procedure. I try to just run it once a month, but there is always stabil in it.

I run the blue stabil in everything I have, it says its made for ethanol and open fuel systems as these are. Works great.

I had been using blue stabil, but decided to try 360 performance this time.

Has anyone else tried stabil 360 performance? It says it has vapor technology to get areas where the fuel isn't touching and to use every fill up in small engines.

I'm not sure if doubling the dose will stabilize fuel out to two years like the regular red and blue marine stabil or not, but I went ahead and put a good amount extra in the generator.

How about use SeaFoam. I have not had any luck with Stabil , the red and the blue is crazy expensive. Now I admit I leave engines sit for years. I have only had luck with SeaFoam and the Startron. My problems have stopped once I started using only those two.

Originally Posted By: Digital2k2
I had been using blue stabil, but decided to try 360 performance this time.

Has anyone else tried stabil 360 performance? It says it has vapor technology to get areas where the fuel isn't touching and to use every fill up in small engines.

I'm not sure if doubling the dose will stabilize fuel out to two years like the regular red and blue marine stabil or not, but I went ahead and put a good amount extra in the generator.

Yes, Stabil changed their product line up a year or so ago. Both the Marine360 and 360 Performance claim the protective vapor action, while the Red does not.

Their sales information always has a few mysteries. Like you said, the 360 Performance does not indicate 24 month protection (at 2x rate) like the other two. The Marine Stabil claims to have more cleaner. Since ethanol is already a great cleaner, why would you need more? In their questions section, they claim Red is more for long term storage vs. everyday use of the 360 products.
21.gif

In the past, I spoke with a Stabil tech and he said both the Red and Marine were effective for ethanol gas and he recommended the marine as the best value (cost per gallon treated). I'm not sure if this still holds true and/or how does the new 360 protection product falls into the line up. It seems to be a marketing ploy, but it is confusing for us tech. geeks.

I sent them an email to see if they can clear up their product line use.

So I use both red and marine to make stored fuel last - but how long does the Stabil stuff last in the bottle ?
(Before it goes bad)

2 years after bottle is opened with a couple other stipulations is what is posted on the stabil(golden eagle) website:

from their FAQ section:
"WHAT IS THE SHELF LIFE OF STA-BIL® FUEL STABILIZER?
The shelf life of all STA-BIL® brand products is 2 years after the bottle has been opened, provided it has been tightly capped and stored in a cool, dry place. It will not harm anything if you use an old bottle of STA-BIL® brand, it just may not be as effective."

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/sta-bil-faqs

Last edited:
One of the more unique fuel stabilizers around is the Briggs 5n1 available online and most big box stores. It keeps fuel for 3 years and has unique ingredients compared to everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back