What do you think of the 'new' BBC Top Gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just... ugh. I like Matt LeBlanc, but I don't see the point of having him on this show. And the ginger Chris Evans is useless and annoying. The forced camaraderie between the two of them is downright painful to watch. Viewership for the second episode fell by 1.6 million, and I'm surprised it wasn't more.

This proves just how good Clarkson, May and Hammond were. I miss them.

tgsudfxwcvh424fieiwr.png

They're coming back in August, but only on Amazon.

Here's the cast "deciding" on a new name. I can't see Evans and LeBlanc doing anything as naturally silly/funny as this...

Last edited:
I didn't think the American version was as good either, but it grew on me. Cris Evans is pretty bad, but its really about the cars. The more car shows the better, so I'm still going to watch it.

Odd, where is the forced diversity in the new show?
There should be
one female, Asian, lezzy
One male, black, straight.
One shemale, native American, tranny.

Anything short of this just wouldn't be "fair"

Last edited:
First episode last week was sub-par at best.
I'm going to give them a season or two.
TG America was lame at first , but finally found it's grove with me.
Can't wait for old Top Gear crew's, new endeavor on Amazon Prime.
They're the only reason I renewed my Prime Membership this year.

Last edited:
I lasted about 2 minutes - too much yelling, and why have we got an American on Top Gear? Obviously gearing to the US market....more money.

Like OAB.................lol
Overactive bladder
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Odd, where is the forced diversity in the new show?
There should be
one female, Asian, lezzy
One male, black, straight.
One shemale, native American, tranny.

Anything short of this just wouldn't be "fair"

I like the American Top Gear, though it can't be compared to Clarkson, May & Hammond's shows. It's a different animal... more about being goofy than talking about cars.

I've always liked Adam Ferrara (back to The Job, and of course Rescue Me), and his personality meshes well with Rut Wood and Tanner Foust. The humor and rivalry they work so hard to present may seem artificial at times, but it's much appreciated when I look at the disaster they're giving us on the new BBC TG.

BBC Original Top Gear always had the cheeky Brit humour and accent, I liked Tiff Needell more than the others but the snark was unbelievable. And they always tried to place British cars (read: Jaguar) as the best best best. They had trouble making apologies for it when an XKR for whooped by a Corvette.

They even tried to make sarcastic cracks at the McLaren F1!

I think the shows are painfully scripted, that's probably because I am older now. I hope that Rutledge guy gets a career doing something other than TV..

Clarkson, Hammond and May (sounds like a law firm) were far and away the best.

Here's how to improve the new one: more Sabine Schmitz and put duct tape over Evans' mouth.

...or at least teach him to use his indoor voice.

I haven't seen it, but everyone I know hates it. Now go back and watch the first season of Top Gear with Clarkson, May, and not even Hammond and it was not the best.

As I've said here and elsewhere, look at early episodes of TGUK when Clarkson, May and Hammond were starting as a trio. They were not very good either.

Chemistry takes time.

I said the same about TGUS, it will take time. At first, they simply copied episodes of TGUK and they were not good at it. When they do things that are largely and uniquely TGUS, they put on a pretty good show. Their chemistry is coming along.

The same is likely true for the new cast of TGUK. Evans needs to stop trying to be Clarkson. Given the shoes they need to fill, the expectations that are so high and the large elephant in the room, they are doing BETTER than I thought they would do at this point.

They are having some fun with that elephant in the room. I'm glad to see that. They don't ignore the past. They acknowledge it, even when they are saying "stop, we don't do that anymore."

It may take a few seasons. Some feathers will be ruffled and some feelings hurt. But they'll put on a good show that, while it may not be Clarkson, May and Hammond, will still be infinitely better than Kardashians or any other "reality" tripe you might find on the dial.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I didn't think the American version was as good either, but it grew on me. Cris Evans is pretty bad, but its really about the cars. The more car shows the better, so I'm still going to watch it.

While yes the shows interaction with the new hosts isn't great if you ever watched Season 1 of Top Gear (after the remake) it was terrible too until they got May and went a different direction.

Give it some time its a car show it will get better once it gets into its groove but I agree Chris evens is meh and is no replacement for Clarkson.

Also as a McLaren F1 fan I'm sad for Epi 2 not running it for a lap even if its not "high enough to go over a bump" at least get a time they had the car already.

Though in extra gear they had said insurance wouldn't let them go faster than 70mph in the non longtail F1 so I wonder...

I have seen 2 episodes and i am not even going to bother to watch the rest.

I cant stand Chris evans with all his yelling and screaming..
Its not getting more funny just because you scream it out..

An amusing update... and man-drama! I don't know how reliable this is, but several sources are reporting it. I've already stopped watching the show, and I'd be surprised if it was renewed for season 2 in any case.

"Matt LeBlanc is allegedly planning to quit Top Gear if his co-host Chris Evans is not removed from the team first, sources have claimed.

The American presenter, 48, is said to be concerned about Evans’s rudeness towards other members of the team, with some suggesting he also is frustrating to film with.

It allegedly comes just months ahead of the start of filming for the second series, which is due to begin in September.

The rumours also emerged as the show’s bosses face a rapidly declining audience, with just 2.34 million people tuning into last week’s episode. The lowest audience posted by the show's former team, led by Jeremy Clarkson, was 2.36 million in June 2003.

A source told the Sun on Sunday: “The team does not gel and the atmosphere between the presenters is frosty.”

They added: “Matt’s indicated he won’t continue on any further series if Chris remains. He is far from the only one who is not happy.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/...c_id=sf29686696

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
There is new Top Gear? The old one, while it had its good moments, wasn't all that great to begin with.

I missed this one completely.

Can't say I'm disappointed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back