The Critic Drives; 2016 Honda Civic EX

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend's wife has had this Civic as a loaner for over two months while her CRV sits waiting for safe airbags. I'm a Honda guy and like the new Civic from a look at it/sit in it point of view. I drove it and wanted to turn around pretty quickly. Any good qualities the Civic has are overshadowed by the absolutely ****ing awful CVT transmission. It rode well, handled well, stopped well, and the materials and layout are good. But this CVT seems to lessen the quality of just about all forms of driving, except sitting in traffic. And as I found out, it also gives the impression to non car people that there is something wrong with the car when you accelerate hard.

IT didn't feel like it was moving quickly while screaming steadily at 6000+ rpms. A regular AT would probably walk this CVT car. I realize that acceleration isn't everything but mannerisms are important and driving dynamics are too, more than the .4 mpg they probably saved vs a 6 speed auto. Having to explain what is going on to passengers when you go for passing gear is ridiculous. Subaru had enough common sense to build in the feeling of gears with their CVT. Honda ruined a great car with this transmission.

Have you driven any Nissan products with CVTs? That was my first experience with a CVT and it was awful. I recently drove a Civic with a CVT transmission - I rather liked it and would have no problem DDing it. Of course, it wouldn't be as fun as a manual and without the shift shock, it doesn't seem as fast.

I used to feel the same way but every transmission has its place. Our Corolla CVT is at home in everyday driving but does sound strained under hard acceleration. Nature of the beast. MPG has been stellar though.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Have you driven any Nissan products with CVTs? That was my first experience with a CVT and it was awful. I recently drove a Civic with a CVT transmission - I rather liked it and would have no problem DDing it. Of course, it wouldn't be as fun as a manual and without the shift shock, it doesn't seem as fast.

I drove one of the first Muranos with CVT, and a 2015 Subaru Outback. I don't remember the specifics of the murano because it was 11 years ago. But the Subaru behaved like a normal transmission for the most part.

Now, looking online at acceleration videos, I see the CVT in the 2.0 does not behave the same way as the 1.8. One is mimicking shifts and the other just screams along at WOT.

This is what I would much rather have happen:

I was wondering how the Honda CVT was going to do in the Civ. Thanks!

I am a fan of CVT when they are done well (Nissan-bad, Subaru - Good). If you are going to have something shift for you, it should be a CVT.

Stick it or leave it!

It might just be the little 1.8 doesn't have a ton of power to give.

Why would you want a CVT to "shift"? The whole point of it, is that it does not have specific, fixed gear ratios. Its a different type of transmission, so why try and constrain it to your old, typical auto? Makes no sense.

I had a 2015 Civic EX loaner for a day last year. Yea, the CVT was truly awful. It didn't know if it wanted to be a CVT or conventional automatic. Just trying to maintain spacing in traffic at 55 mph on rolling hills drove you crazy. Sometimes it would slide gently between ratios as expected, most of the time it would make discreet 1000 rpm multiple jumps. Every time you eased off the gas to maintain spacing it would immediately dive into the highest ratio. As you eased back into the throttle it would jump up 3000 rpm, 2000 rpm, or 1000, rpm. The tach was constantly jumping around like a frog on a hot sidewalk. Biggest POS I've ever driven. I wouldn't take a Civic with a CVT if they payed me to take it.

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett
Biggest POS I've ever driven. I wouldn't take a Civic with a CVT if they payed me to take it.

Ed

I would, because you can flip anything with an "H" badge in few days, no matter how POS-y it is, and buy something worthwhile.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: surfstar
Why would you want a CVT to "shift"? The whole point of it, is that it does not have specific, fixed gear ratios. Its a different type of transmission, so why try and constrain it to your old, typical auto? Makes no sense.

It's different, therefore we don't understand it, therefore it must be garbage. This logic thing is even more simple than a manual transmission. Which we should all be driving because we understand it. Everything else we don't understand, therefore it is garbage.

Clark

Like my 2014 Corolla with CVT . Great gas mileage , and I drive like a normal person . RPM`s at 70 on flat ground is 1900rpm. They baby the engine and get great mileage doing it . I have no pretense that my Corolla is a sport car . it drives nice and is fine on the highway . If I wanted a sports car I would have bought one .

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
Like my 2014 Corolla with CVT . Great gas mileage , and I drive like a normal person . RPM`s at 70 on flat ground is 1900rpm. They baby the engine and get great mileage doing it . I have no pretense that my Corolla is a sport car . it drives nice and is fine on the highway . If I wanted a sports car I would have bought one .

100% on the same page.

Coming from a snowmobile perspective, the constant rpm of a CVT at full throttle is a good thing. There's only one rpm that a motor has peak hp, so why not keep the engine there and accelerate the car as fast as you can?
Making the engine run above and below the HP peak to simulate gears seems dumb if your asking for max acceleration.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
CVT in the 2016 Accord is actually very nice, I have not driven the redesigned 2016 Civic.

I drove my daughter 2014 Accord LX 4-cyl with CVT some miles, it was okay for a medium 4-cyl engine for keeping up with the flow of traffic. But I like the 6-sp AT in the 2012-2013 Camry better.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
6 speed manual is best.

Yea-that's why 99.5% cars sold have some sort of automatics.....

Originally Posted By: JustinH
wait a minute you aren't the critic?

Everybody on here is "the critic". But only one has the screen name to go with it......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back