Suggestions for new to me 92 Yukon 2 door. 350TBI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up this Beast today. 1 owner, bought new by a doctor and well kept for the most part, no accidents. It had a full set of matching Michelin tires, when I see that I know it was cared for. The interior is very clean and the paint is all there, suspension is tight and the trans was rebuilt at one point. It had just enough issues for me to get it for next to nothing. It's been sitting around for the past couple years and needs an oil change. Oil pressure is OK. My dad has a bunch of old Fram and AC filters for these engines, so I'll use that.

What does everyone like for the old 350 TBI? I'm not sure if these engines have any kind of "preferences." I was thinking Maxlife 5w40

[img:center]
27494263565_8c43507480_o.jpg

This thing is the opposite of the OJ Bronco.

The preference they have is which oil will not leak out the RMS if it hasn't been changed.
wink.gif
I'd do a shorter 2k or so run on regular old 5/10w-30 since it's been sitting for a while, then go with an HM or HM blend 5w-30. They will run on anything though from 20 to 50.

I had the same engine and ran 5W30 synthetic.

The biggest issue here is the in-tank fuel pump. Never run low on fuel especially in the summer.

If the fuel pump goes only use OEM. If it was not been done in many years expect the lines for the fuel sender assembly to be rusted and snap.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The biggest issue here is the in-tank fuel pump. Never run low on fuel especially in the summer. If the fuel pump goes only use OEM. If it was not been done in many years expect the lines for the fuel sender assembly to be rusted and snap.

Amen. Good advice. For oil, I think any 5W-30 will be fine, even SuperTech. If it ends up using oil, switch to MaxLife Blend.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
What is the mileage?

176,000. I negotiated down to $700 after a brake line popped when I pressed hard on the pedal.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
What is the mileage?

176,000. I negotiated down to $700 after a brake line popped when I pressed hard on the pedal.

Use copper-nickel for replacement brake line.

I think old 350 Chevy's like oil a bit on the thick side...a 10W-30/10W-40 HM oil would be great here, or a HDEO like 10W-30 or 5W-40.

Nice rig! Don't see them around here too much due to rust....

Do they make a 5W-40 MaxLife?....

I think you're onto the right idea with MaxLife though. 10W-40 sounds good to me. Pennzoil High Mileage is another solid choice.

Nice ride.

Originally Posted By: Branson304

I think you're onto the right idea with MaxLife though. 10W-40 sounds good to me. Pennzoil High Mileage is another solid choice.

Nice ride.

They do, but 10w40 would be even better.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
Originally Posted By: Branson304

Nice ride.

They do, but 10w40 would be even better.

It seems the 5W-40 MaxLife is full synthetic & only available in Europe. So you might as well count that out unless you guys are figuring on importing oil.

It's a Chevy 350, it'll run on any oil no problem.

My 96' Silverado 5.7L took 5 quarts. I always used Castrol GTX or MaxLife. 5w30 or 10w40, because I got the 10w40 for $0.33 per quart.

Its 215HP L05 is as reliable as an anvil. Early rendition 'swirl' heads keep the useful revs toward the bottom portion of the tach.

Got an easy 250,000+ with a revolving potpourri of cornucopia blends from my '92. Never seemed to make any difference.
That was back before my BITOG days, though.

Still consumed less than a quart between ~5000-mile OCIs when I donated it to an aspiring day laborer.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: lexus114
just curious, does the exhaust exit out the drivers side as well? i bet it sounds good if thats the case.
wink.gif

Just on that side, and no special muffler, newer cat. Messed around with it some tonight. Found two bad spark plug wires, one not clicked on the plug. I flipped the lid on the air breather, it sounds like an old quadrajet now. I've driven a handful of these 350 TBI's and this one seems to run hard. It feels geared, it will roast those back tires. I know 3.73s and 4.10's were an option that year.

Also picked up 10w40 Maxlife and got a Fram xtra guard air filter at walmart for $5, couldn't believe how cheap that was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back