Do you have a fave Motorcycle Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZZman
What is it and why?

Brawndo 10w-50 year round, there is no substitute.
34.gif

LoneRanger said:
Spectro Platinum 4 15W50, a batch blended PAO and ester formulation that complies with API SL and JASO MA2.

Good oil, but no ester in it. Recent correspondence with Spectro confirmed 100% PAO.

Originally Posted By: JonfromCB
LoneRanger said:
Spectro Platinum 4 15W50, a batch blended PAO and ester formulation that complies with API SL and JASO MA2.

Good oil, but no ester in it. Recent correspondence with Spectro confirmed 100% PAO.

Seriously? They need to adjust their literature then.

http://www.spectro-oils.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Blueprint-Flier-1.12.pdf (note paragraph 5)

I was thinking probably ester was the additive carrier at the least, since PAO has poor solubility for additive elements. I wonder then if they have some Group II or even Group I as the carrier instead?

Yea, their presentation is pretty "iffy". In one place it says 100% PAO base stocks and in another place it says they use esters. My guess would be (like most oils) they use just enough ester to make seals swell as part of the "batch blended" additive package.

BTW, Liqui-Moly makes a 100% PAO MA2 oil with a higher TBN and viscosity index but it's probably too light for your Duk. Motul told me they are bringing their ester/ester
MA2 to the US in the next two months. There is also Maxima, but I'm not sure about
it's MA rating.

Last edited:
Im a castrol guy. They have been making oils for motorcycles forever. Always has been a fluid of choice for many european bikes. You can purchase it anywhere even Amazon and it has never let me down. Currently running the 20w-50 4T in all three of my harley's. To tell the truth whatever works for you is going to be the best, I have been playing this motorcycle oil game for over 50 years. Just make sure you use a motorcycle specific oil, change it when it needs to be changed and try to stick with the same for the life of the vehicle. My last bagger had 107k on it with original pistons and rings and showed very little carbon buildup. Stick with what works for you.

Morotcycle oils? For a shared sump bike?

If I were buying what's best (rather than considering price) based on UOAs I've read here, I might go to Motul 300V.

For bikes where it's appropriate Rotella T Triple Protection 15W40 seems to give a lot of bang for the buck, though I've been known to buy Mobil 1 4T or Red Line motorcycle oil in the appropriate grade on sale.

Based on UOAs I've read, the Rotella T seems to stay in grade better than many inexpensive oils, but I seem to remember the Motul 300V hardly shearing at all in a couple of UOAs. I seem to remember the same for Mobil 1 4T. If you have counter-examples, please post 'em.

For my non-shared sump, dry-clutch BMW, car oil all the way (mobil 1 15W50 so far). I know many people choose motorcycle oils for the engines of bikes that don't have shared sump or wet clutch. I'm genuinely curious why. Desire to spend more money? To meet some special manufacturer's spec?

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Whatever 10W-40 is on sale usually. My wife's PC usually gets Rotella 15W-40.

Your wifes personal computer uses oil? :)

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: Samzone
I just became aware of Mobil 1 10W-60, may be a good option for looser air cooled engines like my airheads.

Never seen any of that on American shelves, so it is not too common. I know it has been sold in Europe for a long time.

Of course Redline sells a motorycle 10w60.

Im possibly going to pull the trigger on Lquid Moly 10/60, meets ACEA A3/B4 which comes close enough in my mind for the Diesel Oil Harley Davidson wants you to use if not using their oil. It seems readly available here in the USA meets many BMW specs too made in Germany, looks good to me, $45 for 5 liters delivered, but you can find deals sometimes too.

I say possibly pull the trigger, right now the Mystik 15/50 is doing the job, should be sendng out a sample soon.

Last edited:
The Sportster likes 20W-50, so it gets Castrol GTX in that weight
smile.gif

No shared wet clutch or tranny which is full of Harley primary drive oil. Nothing else seems as smooth or as quiet, or easy to shift. Some maker branded oils are really good, just expensive ...

I have used Rotella T in my bikes forever. Last oil change in my Honda XR650R I used T5 blend, and in my old suzuki scooter I used T6 5w40 cause I rode a lot in the winter. Cheap and good and available literally everywhere.

My cousin has used 10w40 castrol GTX conventional since we were kids with zero issues.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
The Sportster likes 20W-50, so it gets Castrol GTX in that weight
smile.gif

No shared wet clutch or tranny which is full of Harley primary drive oil. Nothing else seems as smooth or as quiet, or easy to shift. Some maker branded oils are really good, just expensive ...

GTX 20/50 and old favorite of mine decades ago. I think about trying that at times again. I am sure I would be just as happy as you are with it.

Last edited:
Castrol products aren't what they used to be for the most part. BP ownership and its culture of cutting corners to lower costs and maximize profit has not been kind to the quality of many Castrol products.

That being said, I still love the old German Castrol (when I can find it locally) and their Multi Import ATF has been good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back