suggestions for a 5w40 full synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCD

i might be getting a Peugeot 106 1.4i Sport soon to use as my daily driver , it specs a full synthetic 5w40. I was thinking of using Total 9000 or Shell Hx7 , what would you run? i do around 9000 Km / year, the car will be used for 80% motorway driving

Since it is peugeot...I would choose total/elf brand!

Pleeeease dont overthink things here...and stop bombarding us with different viscosities (as in case of your Ford Capri car)!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
ACEA A3 and API SJ or higher

Shell Ultra 5w40 (Acea A3/B4) is probably cheaper as you are in Spain. M1 and Edge are normally more expensive in the EU, although I understand the prices are similar in the US.
Fleabay is often cheaper for oil than supermarkets or parts stores in the EU, so take a look at the major tyre dealers, as they often sell oil at a good price.

Shell HX7 is not a true GTL synthetic, it's a part synthetic.

Last edited:
Yeah don't worry i have already figured out what i will use in my Capri you won't see more posts...
I'm considering :
Total 9000
Shell Hx7
Mobil 1 0w40
I can get all of these locally

M1 0W40, Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 (stay away from HX7), Valvoline Maxlife 5W40.
Total 5W40 only if cheaper than SHU.

These engines are not harder on oil than your actual 1,1L and share many common parts so whatever your are currently using will be ok in fact.

Well i'm runninng my 1.1 on some super cheap 10w40 syn blend made by a company called Norauto which is one of the biggest parts stores in Spain ,a bit like Halfords in the UK, and i want to run something better than that...
I guess it's between Total and Shell helix then, i can get both for nearly the same price, the Shell is just a tad more expensive

i might be getting a Peugeot 106 1.4i Sport soon to use as my daily driver , it specs a full synthetic 5w40. I was thinking of using Total 9000 or Shell Hx7 , what would you run? i do around 9000 Km / year, the car will be used for 80% motorway driving

1.4i? Good Spanish olive oil!

The "sport" mention is confusing...is it the 1294 or the 1364cm3 ?

The second will do fine on almost anything. Total Quartz Energy 9000 5W40 over the "non energy" 9000, it is a bit thicker so maybe better for oil consumption after all.

The first one is an engine I'd like to ride again, fond memories with it!

PS: Norauto oil is probably made by Total/Elf or Motul, maybe not that bad
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Popsy
The "sport" mention is confusing...is it the 1294 or the 1364cm3 ?

The second will do fine on almost anything. Total Quartz Energy 9000 5W40 over the "non energy" 9000, it is a bit thicker so maybe better for oil consumption after all.

The first one is an engine I'd like to ride again, fond memories with it!

PS: Norauto oil is probably made by Total/Elf or Motul, maybe not that bad
wink.gif

My vote goes to Helix Ultra - based on personal experience, price and general quality.

Popsy, I believe this is late 1.4 Sport (75 hp) with GTI look (different wheels). Nice car for city driving.

OT; friend had a AX Sport, years ago, 1.3 , 2 Weber batteries. Cool little car, fast Ti about 80 kmh, and brakes existed only on paper.

Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 (stay away from HX7)

Hey Pops why the stay away from the HX7 Helix line of oils ??

What do you know that Shell doesn't ???

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn
What zeng said.

Okay, but why does he have to stay away from it?

a )Title by OP:suggestions for a 5w40 full synthetic

b )Opening thread by OP:

Ahha, sorry my bad. Geez I went back reading the thread and missed that part, plus totally missed the title of the entire thing.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Ahha, sorry my bad. Geez I went back reading the thread and missed that part, plus totally missed the title of the entire thing.

Cool it.
Besides you, others too are confused by OP ....
18.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back