New VW Oil Spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder which "specific engines." Supposedly no change to OCi...

Quote:
"This oil is already supplied as first fill for specific engines of Volkswagen Group vehicles, allowing them to deliver 10,000 miles, or one year, of driving before an oil change is needed."

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Low viscosity? I don't like the sound of that!

+1

Instead of improving IC engine...CAFE is compromising engine wear with thinner and thinner oils...

Ironically it's for Europe only at the moment so no need to mention CAFE. There are other fuel economy drivers in the world outside of USA.

The ODI doesn't need to change in Europe due to the fuel. Also this new oil is for the new engines only. It is NOT backwards compatible.

Specification is. 508 00 / 509 00

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Ironically it's for Europe only at the moment so no need to mention CAFE. There are other fuel economy drivers in the world outside of USA.

The ODI doesn't need to change in Europe due to the fuel. Also this new oil is for the new engines only. It is NOT backwards compatible.

Specification is. 508 00 / 509 00

I think they are going with it because it will be harder to meet Euro emission standards in the future with heavier oils.
It is not only VW, BMW is also in this trend, however, I see in EU it is still recommended LL-01 or LL-04, while in the U.S. they are recommending for new engines LL-01 FE, LL-12 and LL-14.
Consequence of American love for slow speed and travel with planes.

Its nothing new to Europe, all OEMs have moved / are moving to thinner oils in combination with new engine platforms. On a global scale VW are about 15years behind Honda and Toyota.

Europe has low sulphur fuel and more diesels so Mid SAPs makes sense, hence the application of new specifications with 0.8% Ash or lower requirements. USA needs high saps in gasoline cause of the 70ppm Sulphur fuel.

For BMW, Europe has no need for LL-14 as LL-12 FE is fine with the low sulphur fuel. LL-12FE is available.

LL12 FE should not be used in USA

CO2 figures in Europe dictate tax levels, 'fuel consumption' and company car fleet choice. Lower CO2 numbers are as much for differentiation from other vehicles as a legislation issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
Its nothing new to Europe, all OEMs have moved / are moving to thinner oils in combination with new engine platforms. On a global scale VW are about 15years behind Honda and Toyota.

Europe has low sulphur fuel and more diesels so Mid SAPs makes sense, hence the application of new specifications with 0.8% Ash or lower requirements. USA needs high saps in gasoline cause of the 70ppm Sulphur fuel.

For BMW, Europe has no need for LL-14 as LL-12 FE is fine with the low sulphur fuel. LL-12FE is available.

LL12 FE should not be used in USA

CO2 figures in Europe dictate tax levels, 'fuel consumption' and company car fleet choice. Lower CO2 numbers are as much for differentiation from other vehicles as a legislation issue.

Currently mandated sulfur level Federally in the US is 30 ppm. Going to 10 ppm next year.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I wonder which "specific engines." Supposedly no change to OCi...

Quote:
"This oil is already supplied as first fill for specific engines of Volkswagen Group vehicles, allowing them to deliver 10,000 miles, or one year, of driving before an oil change is needed."

1.4L or the hybrid engine or something new?
I don't see VW moving from 40 grade oil for the 1.8T or 2.0T to 0W20.....but I could be wrong????

the biggest change, aside from meeting the latest and greatest Euro emissions spec.

this time around, HTHS spec is now less than 3.5.... for greater fuel economy.

It's not the first VW spec to have less than 3.5 HTHS. VW 506.01/506.00/503.00 was spec'd for less than the usual 3.5, and it was a 0w30 as well.

I wonder if it will go backward compatible once the whole U.S. gets the same quality fuel.

I think automakers have done enough emissions innovation trying to meet goals with subpar gasoline available, it's time the other involved party(it's) in that game be required to make investments in their scope of the overall.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobFout

Currently mandated sulfur level Federally in the US is 30 ppm. Going to 10 ppm next year.

What is it in Europe currently?

Originally Posted By: harrydog

10 ppm.

10 ppm.

I heard about that, are you 100% sure?

Originally Posted By: edyvw

10 ppm.

I heard about that, are you 100% sure?

It's what I gather from these.

http://transportpolicy.net/index.php?title=EU:_Fuels:_Diesel_and_Gasoline

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32003L0017&from=EN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back