Clutch pedal softness

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is kind of a weird "issue" with my car; it's always had it to some degree. Mind you, It does have new Master and slave cylinders (That have been properly bled) with less than 10,000 miles and I don't have any issue with the clutch fully releasing, problems shifting into reverse etc. that might warrant further investigation into the hydraulics or even the clutch itself.

Occasionally, especially after doing a lot of driving, after the car sits and cools off for several hours, when I first push the pedal in, it will be soft for about the first 1/4 length of pedal travel. After a few times using the pedal, it will firm up. It feels like there is slop/play in the clutch itself, like the pressure plate isn't returning fully or the throwout bearing/release fork has some slop in it.

Has anyone ever experienced this in a car? Like I said, even with that soft pedal, I can immediately shift to reverse and feel there is still at least an inch of play at the bottom of the pedal before it starts engaging the clutch, so it is fully disengaging with the pedal all the way in. That is why I don't think it's a hydraulic issue. Car is a 1994 Corolla with 180,000 miles and still on the original clutch.

Thoughts??? Thanks!

Last edited:
The hydraulics are taking up the play in the mechanical parts most likely.

Sounds like there's still air in one of the cylinders. Or one of the seals in the slave is leaking pressure or warped.

Or all or none of the above. Its a 22 yr old furren econo-box. Just about anything could be making the take up wonky. What are your plans for this old Corolla? I would certainly consider a total DIY clutch job. 180K decently maintained miles is a good indication that there are plenty of miles left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back