Air Compressor- Heavy Duty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking for a heavy duty air inflator for my home use. I bought a previous unit from Griots Garage but would like something with a little bit more quality.
Thanks in advance

I think even an oil free compressor is heavy duty compared to a 12V tire inflator. (looking at griots website, the only compressor they have is a 12V Viair compressor)

GGorman, are you looking for something to put air into tires, or something to run tools? If you don't have a heavy tool use, I would suggest getting a small oilless compressor like the ones listed above. In particular, I really like the California Air Tools models that are super quiet. It'll inflate tires much faster as well.

The biggest issue is that you'll start off with a small compressor, maybe get a nail gun and a blow gun for cleaning and you realize how useful air tools are.. and next thing you know, you're buying an 80 gallon compressor...

I 2nd the Makita Mac700. Bought mine in 2010 from Amazon. If I remember correctly, price in 2010 was only ~$10 less than the current price. It is a bit heavy, but it is also very quiet due to 1/2 speed motor - 1720rpm. Probably not the best practice, but mine stays plugged in all the time in my garage. when not in use, it probably kicks on for ~20 seconds about every other day due to small leaks in the air hose fittings.

Air inflator and heavy duty are an oxymoron. I have been using a small tire inflator for 20 or so years. I would not say it's heavy duty but it has filled all the tires I need to inflate including truck, trailer and Bobcat.

Heavy duty would be one that ran pneumatic tools several days per week.

Maybe I worded my question incorrect. The one I currently am using plugs into the 12v in my car. This unit is used solely for filling tires and various pool floats.

I would not need the compressor for my tools, though I would like something a little more durable than the Griots version. It actually started to fall apart after about a year of use.

Was it the Viair model?
https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/12+...pe=&from=fn

I'm actually a little surprised that it failed, I've heard good things about the Viair compressors.

I've owned a couple Master Flow branded air compressors and have had no issue (I had the MF-1040, MF-1030). I've heard of the MF-1040 blowing fuses, but that's not totally the compressor's fault. I actullay figured the Viair was a higher end model than the Master Flows.

Maybe the uprated MF-1050 will last for you?

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Flow-MF-105...p;keywords=mv50

This might be a matter of duty cycle for you. What's your typical use for the inflator? Top up tires? Inflating tires from a flat?

Last edited:
Ed
I was surprised as well, considering I bought a bunch of other items from Griots over the years and had good luck. During the summer I would use it constantly for pool related items.

Originally Posted By: GGorman04
Ed
I was surprised as well, considering I bought a bunch of other items from Griots over the years and had good luck. During the summer I would use it constantly for pool related items.

Any chance you can switch to an AC powered air compressor around the house? A thick extension cord and a long hose could get you to a lot of places, unless the 12V really is the only way.

Another vote here for the Makita mac 700. My neighbor has a DeWalt pancake oilless compressor and when his is running at the same time mine is I can here his over mine and his garage is 40' away.

Ed
Is that all I would need to switch, a thick extension cord and hose? I never used this type of air compressor

Depending on how far from an outlet you are, and how much air you need, I think you'll be very surprised at how versatile even the smallest shop air compressor will be. Thin extension cords can prevent the motor on some higher powered compressors from starting, but if you get a small 1/3hp to 1hp sized compressor, the issue should be minimized.

Another benefit is that you can plug in the compressor, let the tank fill up, then unplug it and take it to where you need to do your work. Depending on how much air you need, it might make it portable enough.

I think that most 12V inflators are really only good for occasional tire filling, very short duty cycles. Even the least expensive and smallest compressors should work better for your needs.

As your first real compressor, and knowing that you've gotten by with a tire inflator in the past, I would suggest getting an inexpensive bundle air compressor. Something around the 1hp range or less, with a tank in the 1-3 gallon size that includes the basic coiled hose and some fittings. Should be around $100.

Like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-gal-P...13HPD/202868804
http://www.lowes.com/pd_375114-1126-FP2048___?productId=3533376&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&Ntt=air+compressor

What do you usually use the inflator for?

btw, I am no expert on compressors, I just got my first one a few years ago, it is just a small 3 gallon compressor, but with it, I can air up tires much more easily, and have since picked up a 23ga pin nailer and brad nailer for some trim work at home.

Ed
Is that all I would need to switch, a thick extension cord and hose? I never used this type of air compressor

All you need is a good 12/3 extension cord. The mac 700 will outlive any of the ones mentioned by many years, its a oil lubed pump, low rpm and large CFM for its size meaning it pumps a lot air without working too hard.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-50-ft-1...50H31/205377752

Add an air hose and any attachments you want. It has a built in regulator and air fitting.

Think im going to head over to the depot after work and get the mac 700 thanks to this thread. Been wanting to try some air tools for a while

Man I really appreciate it. Soon it maybe time to add some tools in the garage for this also.

An air ratchet, 1/2" impact, nailers are all usable with the mac 700 as is a small touch up spray gun.
Air grinders, large spray guns, sanders and so on are not going to work well with it. The unit is very well suited to the DIY guy who wants more than a small inflator but needs the portability.

I have a large 80 gallon compressor and one of these, running 200ft of air hose up on the roof for example isn't realistic so for small jobs where I cant use the big one this really does the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back