2016 Ugly Prius got crushed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overall car sale of May 2016 goes down substantial, pickup truck and SUV/CUV sale are up, few stand out and one of them was the ugly 2016 Prius. It sold only 12,517, down 36% from May 2015 and down 53% from May 2014, even its MPG is better than previous models.

Only few cars sale went up, one of them was Civic up 2.7% last month and up 22% year to date. Civic may surpass Camry as best selling car for 2016.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/06/01/toyota-motor-co-may-2015-sales/85231632/

https://www.cars.com/articles/top-10-best-selling-cars-may-2016-1420684694786/

I'm not in the market but the ***** Prius actually it is growing on me in certain colors. I don't mind it and if I needed a car I'd buy it.
The world survived the Pacer.......... So I think we can handle the new Prius....

Also Toyota may have been ripping people on the new Prius and they went elsewhere????? Too many $$$$$$$

Saw several on the 405 today sporting manufacturer license plates near Western in Torrance. Toyota's soon-to-be erstwhile HQ btw.
smile.gif

New 'styling' iteration is reminiscent of another Asian Aztek aka Subaru XT. Looks like a bad hangover from a bygone era.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
The only good looking Prius is a Gen 1 ...

I secretly like Prii, or plural Prius. They have serious rear leg room in the wagon form, if you can call it a wagon or an illongated van kind of car, and I was a passenger in either a 2010 or a 2012 and it was in Sport mode. Pretty fast and good visibility and felt like it was ready for any thing thrown at it.

Would I buy one is a different story, but that backseat was more comfortable than I would care to admit.

Possible good limo car.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Only few cars sale went up, one of them was Civic up 2.7% last month and up 22% year to date. Civic may surpass Camry as best selling car for 2016.

People must be blind. I've seen quite a few of the new Civics and they are God Awful Ugly. As ***** as the Crosstour was.

The Civic isn't as ugly as the 2016 Prius. The ones with larger wheels and the 2 doors are palatable.

Cheap gas is bad for Prius sales too... and gas has been relatively cheap of late.

Temporary low gas prices drastically affect hybrid car sales. When gas prices spike huge numbers of American consumers run out to "save" money by purchasing brand new hybrids.

Originally Posted By: cashmoney
Temporary low gas prices drastically affect hybrid car sales. When gas prices spike huge numbers of American consumers run out to "save" money by purchasing brand new hybrids.

When gas prices go back up, it will be about the time I will be on the market for a used 3/4 or 1 ton truck to pull the Jeep around.

Back in 2008 when the gas prices really soared up , I was VERY close to buying a 3 or 4 year old suburban with the 8.1L engine for something ridiculous like $3500 or $4000. Low mileage but the person couldn't keep gas in it. I didn't drive much at the time.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Meanwhile, Subaru sales have been up over previous years every month of 2016.

http://media.subaru.com/pressrelease/961/1/subaru-america-inc-reports-record-may-sales

I like Subarus, but you just can't get one for a reasonable price around here
frown.gif
Wouldn't mind a Forester or Crosstrek.

Pacer....anybody see the Wheeler Dealer show that they actually bought one and fixed it up??? That was just too funny.

Prius sales have been slipping long before the redesign. Back into 2014, Prius sales were trending down because of cheap gas and the consumer shift to smaller SUVs.

May had the added pressure of the Japanese earthquakes that idled assembly plants in Japan (where the Prius is built) for a few weeks, as well as disrupted the overall Japanese supply chain. Even GM got caught out and had to idle assembly lines here in the States for XT5, Acadia, and Malibu due to part shortages.

I guess I should go try driving one. I didn't like the C that I drove, but if the full size has any good deals... it's not like my yearly mileage is going to go down any time soon.

Why do so many non-geezer Prius drivers always max accelerate off the line? Does getting up to speed ASAP with the electric motor pegged to peak torque save gasoline? I'm guessing so because I even notice soccer moms doing it. Or are they just imitating the latest commercial where the Prius is the getaway car for felons fleeing the scene of a violent crime? (an advertising theme I find odd, btw)

Why do so many non-geezer Prius drivers always max accelerate off the line? Does getting up to speed ASAP with the electric motor pegged to peak torque save gasoline? I'm guessing so because I even notice soccer moms doing it. Or are they just imitating the latest commercial where the Prius is the getaway car for felons fleeing the scene of a violent crime? (an advertising theme I find odd, btw)

Takes a Prius to catch a Prius LOL.

I just saw a new Honda Civic coupe this morning. BARF. So ugly. I actually like the looks of the 2006-2011 generation Civic.

More and more I find myself saying "ehh, it's not hideous" instead of saying cars look good.

Do non-Prius drivers flog it off the line in your area too? If so, then perhaps the Prius drivers are just acting like everyone else.

Alternatively: while I know the Prius is not a rocket it isn't quite as detrimental to mpg to do these rabbit starts. Ok, yes it is--but dropping from 45mpg to 40mpg is inconsequential for most people. If you had the choice of hypermiling and getting 50mpg, conservative driving and getting 45, or driving like everyone else and get 40, which would you do? Odds are, you'd still be spending less on gas than anyone else not driving a hybrid.

The only 4th gen Prii I see are sporting Uber or Lyft badges around here. My mom was about to get one, but she's torn between a Lexus LS460 and the Tesla 3 has been tempting.

The new Prius is supposed to have better driving dynamics. When the 2nd gen Prius came out its sales were also sketchy up until oil prices went through the roof. Once again they are not very good on oil market timing, but neither is blowhard T. Boon Pickens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back