My new tire buying method is working well

Status
Not open for further replies.
About a year or so ago I decided to change the way I buy tires. I put roughly 30K miles on my car a year, so I go through a lot of tires. I used to buy 80K mile rated tires, but I could never keep all 4 tires for the duration of the mileage rating. At least one tire would always go bad and I'd have to end up replacing it, then I'd end up with a mix of old and new tires.

I decided to start buying the least expensive tires I could get, which are almost always 40K mile rated. Knowing this, I also knew I'd be replacing these tires more often, which means new rubber more often, and nicer riding, quieter tires (because new tires are softer). Today I noticed a nail stuck in the tread of one of my tires, so I took my car into Discount Tire, which is the place I always deal with. They replaced the tire with a new one, and because they pro-rate all of their tires, it only cost me $10. Gotta love discount tire.

Overall, I would say I prefer buying the cheaper tires and replacing them more often compared to buying higher mileage tires and running them longer. I usually get the rated mileage out of whatever tires I use, but the 80K mile rated tires tend to get noisy and start losing their grip over the last 20K of their life. I haven't noticed that with any of the 40K mile tires. To me, the extra tire changes are worth having new tires more often.

I'm kind of thinking the same way about gas grills.

But back to tires, I think if you don't drive a lot , thats ok. Otheriwse some cheap tires really suck after the 1/2 point and are terrible on water, not worth it to me. I tried kumho kr21 tires once on the olds, they were fine to 20k then the would spin, lockup and the sidwalls were all whimpy, even though there was enough tread left. Never again.

So far i'm liking the Falken Sincera sn211 80k tire, not that expensive and rides well on the oldsmobile.
The Michelins on my wife's elantra are doing great also.

I have General Grabbers on the truck love them.

I don't remember whats on the saturns.

Last edited:
Easy to see the attraction with buying cheap tires. The way they handle in rainy weather, or winter conditions is what puts me off. I prefer a 60,000 mile or so tire and usually replace them at 45,000-50,000 miles. Sell the old ones and can usually get $100-$150 for all 4.

My luxury cars get the good stuff because even the cheap stuff is not cheap.

My performance cars get the good stuff because I don't feel like losing performance and destroying the only purpose of the vehicle.

Trucks and trailers get Michelin LTX. I beat the ever loving tar out of them, and they last forever anyway.

Not - I have had more Michelin's ozone crack and blow out unexpectedly that and other in the last ten years. Buddy lost two off his motor home. They do not last forever ...

I need to find a nice, long wearing car tire for the Fiesta in my signature. Firestone FR710s are almost toast at only 14,000. I figure they'll be replaced by the time they hit 20,000.

I just put Goodyear Eagle RS-A on the 2012 Taurus at 38K miles. That was the same tire it had on it when I got it at 19K miles, I'm not sure whether it had new tires on it then or not though... Guess I'll see if it eats through the Goodyears in 20K this time.

Best tire I've ever experienced is the Michelin LTX A/T2 on my trucks. I get 50,000 out of every set of them with no issues, NEVER had a flat in one either. LTX A/T2 is going on the F-150 next round for sure.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I'm kind of thinking the same way about gas grills.

But back to tires, I think if you don't drive a lot , thats ok. Otheriwse some cheap tires really suck after the 1/2 point and are terrible on water, not worth it to me. I tried kumho kr21 tires once on the olds, they were fine to 20k then the would spin, lockup and the sidwalls were all whimpy, even though there was enough tread left. Never again.

So far i'm liking the Falken Sincera sn211 80k tire, not that expensive and rides well on the oldsmobile.
The Michelins on my wife's elantra are doing great also.

I have General Grabbers on the truck love them.

I don't remember whats on the saturns.

My experience has been just the opposite. I've had no negative issues with the cheap tires at all, even when the tread starts to get thin, but I've always had problems with high mileage rated tires after they start wearing...I think it's because I never have the cheap tires long enough for the rubber to start hardening (which the rubber does as it ages), which is why I believe the higher mileage tires start performing poorly...

I generally don't look at the cheapest of cheap but the tier above that. The Mastercrafts/Coopers/Kelly etc. I have had a great luck with these over the years.

I guess if you wear them out fast enough it would work well. I've found at 4-5 years the cheaper 3 season tires turn to hockey pucks in the wet.
Some of the cheaper tires do run smooth too as they have single ply sidewalls, they don't handle very well but most people don't care. The difference in cornering between my BFG Comp2's and the Starfire's on a 270 deg on ramp is shocking though. Doesn't even feel like the same car through the steering wheel.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I guess if you wear them out fast enough it would work well. I've found at 4-5 years the cheaper 3 season tires turn to hockey pucks in the wet.
Some of the cheaper tires do run smooth too as they have single ply sidewalls, they don't handle very well but most people don't care. The difference in cornering between my BFG Comp2's and the Starfire's on a 270 deg on ramp is shocking though. Doesn't even feel like the same car through the steering wheel.

Maybe the reason I'm not having some of the issues others are having with the cheap tires is I always look for those with the most aggressive tread patterns...I look for lots of sipes, and if I have to go a step up to get them, I do...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Maybe the reason I'm not having some of the issues others are having with the cheap tires is I always look for those with the most aggressive tread patterns...I look for lots of sipes, and if I have to go a step up to get them, I do...

I had SF340's which have a normal amount of sipes and gaps in the tread for an all season tire, but the compound itself was hardening up and starting to chip off the tread block corners... No real hot highspeed running either. All my 3 season tires have done this eventually well before the wear bars. Uniroyal tiger paws, motomaster SE, cheapish Kumho somethings.

So I'm trying the comp2's which have no siping at all and come new at 9/32. But the wet grip for this first season atleast is very good. They have a AA wet traction rating and top testing results in their class at the tirerack as well, so they should impress. Not bad at autocross either but not as good as the competition tires, especially as they heat up a bit.
My previous best old tire in the wet was sumitomo HTR200 summer tires that were down to 3-4/32s and they were good unless it was deep water, so I thought Id try summer tires again.

No cheap tires here. I have already bought two sets this year.

Since we run our service vans so close to the GVWR we want the best tires, that's always a Michelin LTX in E rated flavor please.

Our pickups get them too, just in the LT flavor. My wife's new RAM experienced a huge improvement in NVH just by ditching the OEM Wranglers!

And a brief note about tread patterns. Buying tires by the tread pattern is a bit simplistic, you should see a Pilot Super Sport. Looks nearly slick, it actually has very little tread pattern at all. Yet it is by far the best tire in the wet I have ever driven on.

Those who knock them can buy whatever they want, we still buy Michelin...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
No cheap tires here. I have already bought two sets this year.

Since we run our service vans so close to the GVWR we want the best tires, that's always a Michelin LTX in E rated flavor please.

Our pickups get them too, just in the LT flavor. My wife's new RAM experienced a huge improvement in NVH just by ditching the OEM Wranglers!

And a brief note about tread patterns. Buying tires by the tread pattern is a bit simplistic, you should see a Pilot Super Sport. Looks nearly slick, it actually has very little tread pattern at all. Yet it is by far the best tire in the wet I have ever driven on.

Those who knock them can buy whatever they want, we still buy Michelin...

My picking out tires according to their tread pattern seems to work for me...I've yet to get any that are poor performers...sure, some have been better than others, but no lemons so far...

Grampi, I did much the same over the years, particularly when I was young and broke. In retrospect, I think it was a pretty good strategy. Usually something would happen to a tire before the lifespan was completely over, anyhow, and really long wearing tires wouldn't have been worth it. The taxis got middle of the road tires, too, pardon the pun. I think my next set will be a lower end one, too, at least one that isn't designed with the same high lifespan and high price tag.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Like fishing lures and Amsoil, tread pattern catches the most suckers.

You apparently didn't read my last post...or are you calling me a liar?

Not at all Gramps, you are not a liar, in fact I would never miss anything you wrote.
I especially enjoyed your posts about trucks "elephant racing" up hills and blocking passing lanes.
Is there "retired military"? I would say not. What say you?

Tires? I look at the tread first, then make my final choice based on construction and application.

Sir, you are correct, I did not read your post sir.

Signed; Private Joker

Originally Posted By: userfriendly

Is there "retired military"? I would say not. What say you?

Huh?
confused.gif

I don't really see the value in junk tires when you can buy a quality tire like a General, Kumho, Uniroyal or Kelly tire for what, $10 more a tire in a common sedan size? Or purchase them on rebate or whatever.

I've got 50k+ out of my General Altimax RTs (old model) and they are still providing excellent traction in the rain with 4.5/32nds on them. If I recall they were only $10-15 more expensive then the bottom barrel tires and still $50-$60 cheaper then Michelins. I bet I could get another 15k out of them but will likely replace before that. Not bad for $80 tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back