CANNOT find this part

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Working on putting new front brake lines on a 1999 GMC K1500 Suburban SLT 5.7 and CANNOT find the passenger side preformed in regular metal. The only thing I can find that includes the passenger side is a full stainless set, which is $300 and which I do not need. RockAuto has "Front Forward" but it only shows the driver side in the picture. No passenger side. I have searched EVERYWHERE.

Grandpa doesn't want to form them himself. Thanks

Do you need #21 or #4, or both?

dRUia2g.jpg

#4 is readily available, part # 15711830, and lists for $50. It's $30 on Amazon.

GM specifies bulk 3/16" tubing for #21. Even on much newer vehicles, sometimes sections of the brake lines will only be sold as bulk. We recently had to use bulk 3/16" tubing from GM and GM tube nuts at work to complete a warranty repair on I think a 2014 Malibu.

Ford is the same way, on a lot of applications there is no service part for brake tubing. You can tell because instead of a base number on the illustration there will be a blue star.

You can try from Classic Tube. I got a complete brake line set from them for my 1995 Mustang.

The front lines on these are super easy to do and even easier with NiCopp line. The PITA line is the one going to the rear.
Cut the fitting off with a pair of side cutters and remove them with a 6pt socket,mark their location, remove the lines from their clips and your good to go.

Advance has NiCopp and the fittings in stock just take the fitting in to match them, the line can easily be bent into shape by hand just follow the old ones as a guide and add an inch on each end for the cut off fittings.
Put the correct fitting on the line, flair and install it, bleed. Its an easy DIY job on this one.

If GM tells the size of the fittings and tube that is awesome. Ford doesn't give us any info on the parts end. I just tell people to cut the fittings off the old lines and match them up at a jobber brake parts house.

Unbolt line #21 and take it to a brake shop for matching up. Find a real brake shop, not one of those corporate chain stores. Big Rig shops are usually the best. Located next to the main freeway.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
If GM tells the size of the fittings and tube that is awesome. Ford doesn't give us any info on the parts end. I just tell people to cut the fittings off the old lines and match them up at a jobber brake parts house.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Unfortunately, the catalog didn't give the size for fitting #20. GM's catalog descriptions range from very specific size information to "BOLT."

There was a part number for #20. I'll get it tomorrow.

Is this it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-99-CHEVY-GMC-TAHOE-YUKON-SUBURBAN-1500-4X4-FRONT-BRAKE-LINE-KIT-STEEL-/252196530249?hash=item3ab815a849:i:252196530249&vxp=mtr

Originally Posted By: splinter
Have you tried LMC truck parts?

I've had good luck sourcing 'NLA' hardware from them. Always received good service, too!

----> www.lmctruck.com

As great as LMC's selection is, I think they only have hard line sets for GMT800 trucks. The Suburban the OP is working on is a GMT400.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

IIRC It is 1/4" line with 5/16 double flair fittings.

Your right the front is smaller diameter, I have a roll of 1/4 here that I bought for one of these but it was for the ABS to rear T connector.

Most brake and A/C lines for older cars are discontinued but the brake and A/C shops have the tools to make or repair those lines.

Always use a good brake wrench and never a regular wrench not to damage the brake lines. Japanese make really good brake wrenches but they are hard to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back