black coating for tires and volvo bumpers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
several older volvo 240's with big rubber coated bumpers, also many related tires. Would like to get a large jug of black coating for bumpers, also tire coating. Preferably the same product. Thoughts? what to get and where to get it? Thanks.

My experience is that those coatings, like "Back to Black" and others, really are only temporary. You used to be able to buy a product called "tire black" in a small paint-can. It was basically mineral spirits loaded with carbon black- think wood stain on steroids, jet black, and impossible to get out of anything you spilled it on. I'm sure it was an environmental abomination, but it actually worked decently on rubber and plastics. I even turned an old set of RWLs into blackwalls for one of my cars to play a copcar in a movie with it once.

Haven't tried it on tires, but boiled linseed oil is by far the best "back to black" I have found. Google it. it will last about a year on a vehicle sitting outside in the rain in the Pacific Northwest - that's pretty good (my dad's van).

Need to put it on a clean surface and allow to dry overnight in a dust-free environment (car port, garage).

Boiled linseed oil dries to an air tight layer. It dries very slowly. It is great for waterproofing nooks and crannies that catch water. i slathered on the inside of the frame rails on the Rat.

Can't attest to what boiled linseed oil does for tires or bumpers but back when I was a mason I used it on my Crick levels to keep the lime from drying out the wood. These levels are to expensive to not take care of them.

Also...since no one mentioned it, BLO (boiiled linseed oil) uses metallic dryers to cause it to cure. As those cure the BLO, it causes heat. Enough heat where you need to be very careful of any applicator you used to apply the BLO. It gets hot enough to ignite, so don't crumble up a rag soaked in BLO and throw it in the trash, you can end up with a fire. I always soak old rags in water and lay them out on a concrete surface flat to dry before tossing them.

Solution Finish or Valugard ETR may work. My understanding is that both of them act as a "dye" for faded trim. However, my experience with these type of products (and not those two in particular, because I have not used either) is that your results will really depend on "how far gone" the trim is. If the trim is closer to white than black, I would not expect a miracle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back