AVG MPG in a 2.0 Skyactiv

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 40 mile one way commute to work, which is 90% highway miles, I average 40-42.7 mpg driving 85 mph in 6th gear. I run Shell Vpower and am using M1 EP 0w20.

1)Which Mazda vehicle?
The 2.0 Skyavtiv is available in 4 different Mazda vehicles.

2)Is your car in 6th gear w/auto or manual?

3)And are you using ONLY the MPG readout in the car or are you also reading it yourself(handheld calculator) after a fillup?
A handheld calculator is more true due to there is no regulation on the inside the car MPG readout!

Last edited:
Buster, that's dang good for 85mph! Does the car have active grill shutters?

I'm amazed my wife get 32 ave in a FORESTER AWD with the 2.5L running M1 0w20 EP(thanks).
But,
She got 32 LTA also with the previous dealer installed Danica lube.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
* Peak "synthetic" 0w20

Last edited:
Why not 87 octane? V-Power is only offered in the highest octane, right? Around here, that's 93. If that thing calls for 87 AKI, what's the benefit of using multiple tiers higher?

I drive a 2015 Mazda3 sedan with the 2.0 and 6spd automatic.

The fuel economy screen shows up to 43 mpg on the highway if I keep my speed around 65 mph, and road conditions are perfect. Around 85 mph and the computer displays up to 32 mpg.

I know there are so many variables that come into play with fuel economy, but I sure wish I could get close to 40 mpg at 85 mph. I keep my tires at 38 psi all around.

Originally Posted By: buster
On my 40 mile one way commute to work, which is 90% highway miles, I average 40-42.7 mpg driving 85 mph in 6th gear. I run Shell Vpower and am using M1 EP 0w20.

With the wind downhill?
smile.gif

What's you tank average for running that fast? Near 40mpg?
My car gets into the 40-42 instantaneous mpg range at more like 60 mph and I get around 33-35mpg for a tank.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Why not 87 octane? V-Power is only offered in the highest octane, right? Around here, that's 93. If that thing calls for 87 AKI, what's the benefit of using multiple tiers higher?

This has been covered many times but modern engines, especial DI engines have the ability to control AF ratio in addition to timing based on octane. If you run premium in a skyactiv, it not only advances timing but leans out the AF ratio which improves MPGs and reduces fuel dilution in the oil.

When running 87 in such a high compression engine, the ECU has to run pig rich to keep the combustion chamber temps down and prevent detonation. It works fine but there are better options if you prefer.

Maybe that's why I'm able to still see 40 mpg + when driving 80+ mph?

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

This has been covered many times but modern engines, especial DI engines have the ability to control AF ratio in addition to timing based on octane. If you run premium in a skyactiv, it not only advances timing but leans out the AF ratio which improves MPGs and reduces fuel dilution in the oil.

When running 87 in such a high compression engine, the ECU has to run pig rich to keep the combustion chamber temps down and prevent detonation. It works fine but there are better options if you prefer.

doesn't it all depend on the engine management system. What about compression ratio, flow, valve overlap...? I was told most ECU's pull ignition timing and throttle position to stop knocking. ?

Originally Posted By: buster

doesn't it all depend on the engine management system. What about compression ratio, flow, valve overlap...? I was told most ECU's pull ignition timing and throttle position to stop knocking. ?

That is the old way. I believe the new methods started rolling out when they began flex fuel designs.

newer, high compression engines are going to be much more sophisticated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back