Best ammo size for close quarter residential ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
These track houses we got here are only about 20 feet apart side by side if that. If a guy comes into my house and I shoot the guy, I don't want the bullet going through him and into my neighbor's house. What ammunition size would you guys recommend ?

Shotguns are always the best when you want limited penetration. Get BB shot. It's going to be close range. Don't listen to these .410 people that Iam sure that will chime in. .410 may look bad A. Not when 275 man is coming g at with a Bowie knife. Get a .12 gauge and relocate him to another zip code.

12ga bird shot. Or rock salt in the first one as a warning.
laugh.gif

You guys are mentioning rifle ammo. I was hoping there might be a hand gun ammo that won't go through a person. Would 9mm go through a person and into the next house ? How about .45 ACP ?

Depending on your recoil tolerance situation and your ability to follow up quickly....yes I would go with a 12 gauge with buckshot.
You may also take a look at DRT Terminal Shock or frangible handgun ammo.

The buckshot is very difficult for a surgeon to remove. I want to shoot the guy in the leg with one bullet that will stay in his leg. I just want to immobilize the person and not cause any fatal injuries. Can we forget about the shotgun ?

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Shotguns are always the best when you want limited penetration. Get BB shot. It's going to be close range. Don't listen to these .410 people that Iam sure that will chime in. .410 may look bad A. Not when 275 man is coming g at with a Bowie knife. Get a .12 gauge and relocate him to another zip code.

Agreed!
A 12 gauge pump is the ideal home defense weapon.
You don't even have to aim much. The pattern will catch and disable any intruder with malicious intent and you can always rack in another shell as needed.
Of course, for real home defense, a large and protective breed of dog is better than any firearm. Something like a Great Pyrenees would have either frightened any intruder off or have them on the ground long before you would have been awakened.
Trust me, you wouldn't persist in trying to get through a door with 130 lbs of Pyr trying to get through the other side to get at you.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The buckshot is very difficult for a surgeon to remove. I want to shoot the guy in the leg with one bullet that will stay in his leg. I just want to immobilize the person and not cause any fatal injuries. Can we forget about the shotgun ?

There's no polite way to say this, but that's just ridiculous. In a high stress situation that has caused you to present a weapon you'll be lucky to hit him at all much less purposely shoot him in the leg. Sorry but that's complete nonsense. You don't fire a weapon to immobilize, you shoot to stop the threat to your life. Stopping the threat might happen when the bad guy sees your weapon or it might happen when you've emptied it into him and his general area. If you choose to protect your life with deadly force you'd better be all in.

Dude just quit posting until your bad drugs wear off.

Unless that was trolling.
Trolling.gif

Originally Posted By: Rand
Dude just quit posting until your bad drugs wear off.

The drugs I take are Warfarin and Fluoxetine. Look them up; they're not exactly hallucinogenic drugs.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
12ga bird shot. Or rock salt in the first one as a warning.
laugh.gif

A warning for what?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
IMO a hand gun is not the best choice for home protection. A shotgun with #4,#6 or buckshot is best imo
Shot guns are too hard to use properly.

A regular power 9mm would be less likely to over penetrate, you will want to avoid full Metal Jacket ammo and look for hollow points or frangibles.

I like the Hornady critical defense 9mm ammo, although some will say it doesn't meet the FBI minimum penetration standards it's good enough for me and won't over penetrate

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

There's no polite way to say this, but that's just ridiculous. In a high stress situation that has caused you to present a weapon you'll be lucky to hit him at all much less purposely shoot him in the leg. Sorry but that's complete nonsense. You don't fire a weapon to immobilize, you shoot to stop the threat to your life. Stopping the threat might happen when the bad guy sees your weapon or it might happen when you've emptied it into him and his general area. If you choose to protect your life with deadly force you'd better be all in.
I agree 100%. and I bet every hand gun ammo will go through walls and such.

Originally Posted By: CT8
IMO a hand gun is not the best choice for home protection. A shotgun with #4,#6 or buckshot is best imo
Shot guns are too hard to use properly.
how so?

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Don't listen to these .410 people that Iam sure that will chime in. .410 may look bad A. Not when 275 man is coming g at with a Bowie knife.

The ever-vocal billt460 had no response; I'll pose the same question to you.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
You're better than being just another guy blovating on firearms, right?

Considering I've used the load in both a Bond Arms Derringer, as well as a long barreled Mossberg shotgun, and found in either case the penetration was all but non existent.... Yes.

Say I have a standard, home defense shotgun (18.5" pump).

From this, I can fire one round that'll deliver a slug (expansion @ 0.645") to 14.5", and two .35 caliber lead balls to 24" in ballistics gel.

These will both impact at groups of 1.5" @ 15ft, and 2.25" @ 20ft.

Is this considered "all but non existent" penetration under your standards?

I agree 100%. and I bet every hand gun ammo will go through walls and such.

But will they go through a wall after going through a body ?

What if I miss the body, will the bullet stop somewhere in my house before going into the house next door ?

If you're intending to shoot people in the leg, then you have no business with a firearm in your hand.

Educate yourself on the use of lethal force before you consider caliber or ammo.

Seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back