Rural King 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone used rural king 5w20 conventional oil? my rural king has it for 8.49 5qt, i been using the 5w30 in my older cars, but i wonder how the 5w20 would hold up in a 2003 focus spi motor.

It appears to be an API certified conventional oil made by Warren.

Probably good for severe service intervals.

I think the everyday price at Rural King is $1.79 a quart.

Do some research on Warren Oil Company, Dunn NC. I've been told that the private label formulas they make for Rural King are identical to their own Warren brands.

I looked into buying a SPI engine Focus a few months ago. Use a good oil, of course, but the Focus SPI engine is a ticking time bomb. The best thing you can do to help its longevity is replace the cylinder head with good new aftermarket one with improved valve seats.

Was 5W-20 ever specified for this motor? If not, then stick with 5W-30. Would Rural King not have the same deal for the 5W-30 version?

Rural King oil is made by Warren, good product. It meets API SN, ILSAC GF-5, etc. It's a good oil. Used the 5W-30 Conventional in a buddy's '87 F-150 300-6 a while back, no issues there.

I did some research on RK oil, looks good to me. Warren Oil, (not Warren Distributing, which makes ST) with good specs. Full syn for $2.79@qt is hard to beat. Right now I have 0w20 syn in my 2013 altima that has 26000 miles on the clock, and the 5w30 syn in my PT Cruiser w/ 49000 miles. Neither have blown up yet, and I can't tell any difference between RK and any other known name brand oil.
I'm smart enough (I know, but just barely) to know that corners have to be cut to sell a syn for less than a dino, but from the looks of the specs, it's a slightly less robust add pack, and a boat load less hype and advertising. I mean it doest make all the claims some of the more heavily advertised oils do, but I'm guessing it gets the job done. I trust it enough for two to three oil changes a year in the altima, which gets roughly 8k a year.
I'd love to hear opinions on it, cause I can't see any downside to using it. For 2.79 @ qt it's a steal.

Last edited:
I know a lot of folks turn their noses up at house brand oils, but I'm not convinceded that they're not a sleeper deal. I've said several times, if an oil is "enough" protection, then what is gained by more protection? I also tend to believe that a lot of the price in name brand oil is in the advertising and promotions that they use to market them. Don't get me wrong, I know PPPP, M1 etc. are great oils, and piece of mind is worth something, but I've yet to hear of engines failing from house brand oil. Todays oils are so good (at least in my estimation) that we tend to get hung up on minute details of good, better, best,...ultra, ultimate, super, platinum, etc.,... moly, boron, titanium, etc., that we miss the point that were talking some really good oil in even the lowly house brands.

Last edited:
I may have not been clear, but I do not consider ST inferior at all. Warren Dist.'s oils are all very good, no matter what "house" name is on them. I have used, and like ST oil, it's just that RK is also good oil, and is somewhat cheaper. I think you could use any "name" (insert your favorite brand) oil, and ST or RK, and not be able to tell the difference, at least, not over the first 150k or so miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bchannell
I did some research on RK oil, looks good to me. Warren Oil, (not Warren Distributing, which makes ST) with good specs. Full syn for $2.79@qt is hard to beat. Right now I have 0w20 syn in my 2013 altima that has 26000 miles on the clock, and the 5w30 syn in my PT Cruiser w/ 49000 miles. Neither have blown up yet, and I can't tell any difference between RK and any other known name brand oil.
I'm smart enough (I know, but just barely) to know that corners have to be cut to sell a syn for less than a dino, but from the looks of the specs, it's a slightly less robust add pack, and a boat load less hype and advertising. I mean it doest make all the claims some of the more heavily advertised oils do, but I'm guessing it gets the job done. I trust it enough for two to three oil changes a year in the altima, which gets roughly 8k a year.
I'd love to hear opinions on it, cause I can't see any downside to using it. For 2.79 @ qt it's a steal.

Not only is $2.79 a great everyday price, but every winter they run a 12% off sale. Time to stock up when it's down to $2.46 a quart. I'm using the RK full syn 0w-20 in my Outback, and it seems fine to me. Warren Oil is no Johnny come lately outfit--it's been around awhile. I believe they took over a former Pennzoil blending facility in western PA some years ago.

just went to Rural King this past weekend, 8.49 is now 7.99 for all their dino weights, i got 3 jugs of 5w30 and 3 of 5w20, can't beat that at wally world, i think for 3000 miles this oil is a great value for my focus, ranger, and corolla.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back