When Is "Too Old" To Drive????

Status
Not open for further replies.
My loving grandmother is 89 years old & may have to give up her license. She failed the DMV driving test. She can take it again at least once but I fear she has no business driving. How to do you tell the elderly parent or loved one "enough is enough". You see elderly drivers on the news all the time.

Some people are healthy in their old age and some are all done in their 50's and 60's. A local retirement home is full of people in their 50's and 60's that have walkers, self propelled scooters and wheel chairs. They're done. And the theme is pretty consistent, smokers, drinkers, no exercise to speak of, fast food diets and fat. You hear them say things like, I might as well be dead if I have to give up smoking, drinking and my favorite food. And so, they get their wish.

Very few others are lucky enough to have good genetics and get away with unhealthy life styles but those are the few. And of course don't forget the few that live a healthy, active life style and are good to go long after their peers have faded away.

These people that are unhealthy and all done should not be driving. It's just too bad that there's no fair way to figure this out other than the obvious ones that should absolutely be shut down.

I don't think failing the DMV driving test is bad enough to warrant taking a license away permanently. I consider myself an excellent driver, but I'd probably fail the test too because I don't like driving with both hands on the wheel. How is your Grandmother's short term memory ? Has she ever been out driving her car and had forgotten where she's at ? If not, I'd say she's good to go. I'm a strong opponent to taking people's drivers licenses away, so I may be biassed. For some old people, their car is their livelihood. Take away their car and they can't take care of themselves. That's a terrible thing to do to somebody.

Merk, yes she has driven off course and forgot where she was. We believe it's dementia. Of course, she owns her own condo and has plenty of money that she is not afraid to bring up. And she takes a lot of pain meds.

Here in NJ there is no test they can drive as long as they can.. They Vote so you know how that goes..

Also cars 95 and older are for the most part exempt from inspection here in nj

qwerty, I have a neighbor across the street that's a retired school teacher. He was living by himself, so therefore he depended on his car for getting his own supplies. One day he was out driving around in the bay area and forget where he was and who he was. He didn't get into an accident, he just pulled over and stopped. He may have forgotten who he was, but he didn't forget how to stop the car safely with the brake. The doctor pulled his drivers license. The episode was only temporary; he didn't forget everything permanently. Now instead of enjoying the rest of his well paid retirement, he's gotta be in a facility. I think the doctor pulled the trigger way too soon. My point is: Wait until the person is at the end of the slide!

Merk, I hear ya. But at some point enough is enough. My grandmother took Percocet and blood pressure medication. At close to 90, I say pull the license. Now I'll have to take her to the Dr's and the hair dresser appointments.

crazyoildude said:
Here in NJ there is no test they can drive as long as they can.. They Vote so you know how that goes..

In Illinois after 80 they must take a DMV driving test every 2 years I think. Thats scary that folk in their 90's are driving around NJ.

I think you just have to suggest to drive them around where they need to go. We're sort of planning to do it with my grandfather. He has neuropathy and has trouble feeling his feet, which is dangerous since he might push the wrong pedal. I drive him lots of places but he likes to be independent. It's tough.

Please don't pull her license. I'm hopped up on all kinds of medications too, but do you see me driving around with the radio blasting and a cell phone to my ear ? Heck no, I'm probably the most alert driver on the road out there. EVERYBODY could have dementia and it wouldn't bother me at all because I treat everybody like they have dementia! I'm a defensive driver and I assume you're the one that's gonna make a mistake ahead of time. I don't wait for you to make the mistake. I see what you're doing and I think, "yep, he don't see me, I better get out of his way because in his mind, I'm not there!" You wouldn't believe the stuff I see everyday and none of those people have dementia. Don't do it, someday you'll be 89 and somebody will pull your license for not coming to a complete stop at the stop sign or forgetting to use your turn signal; the same stuff that 18 year olds do!

Nick, they all want to be "independent" but at some point it has to stop. My grandmother has damage to her front end that she can't explain. Once dementia takes over it's bad news. It's rumored that ex-president Regan had dementia while still in office.

im with Merkava on this one My mom is in her middle 80's and drives all the time with no scratches or dents in her car.. She also has great vision and great hearing although a doctor tried to scam and hard sell her a hearing aid.. She can hear the grass grow. She went to a doctor in the family and was also told she has very very very good hearing...The only thing she had that hurt her was great insurance and the first doctor saw $$

Merk, shes almost 90years young. She got stopped for driving off the center line. For a change, the police contacted me and let me take her home. I give the police credit for the situation.

Driving off the center line ? I just saw somebody do that the other day and they were nowhere near 90 years old; they were looking at their cell phone! Are you prepared to take her to her doctor's appointments and do all her shopping for her ? Because if you pull her license, that's what you'll have to do.

Merk, when I'm elderly I hope I can take public transit. I live in Chicago so I can. My grandmother was a danger on the roads. Shes just as dangerous as that cell phone/text messager on the road!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back