351W build with a flat tappet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ssregal39
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: ssregal39
I've been thinking about changing the gear and probably will at some point.

It has an 8.8 out back right? I'm not super familiar with that car, that's why I'm asking.

9" so I have a bazillion ratios to choose from.
An AOD would be nice but, I'm keeping the C4. 3.73 will probably be the best choice.

Oh God, you are set! LOL! Good 'old 9", couldn't remember when they started using the 8.8, but looked it up and it was 1983.

A 3.55 would be a nice compromise gear since you don't have OD.

3.50 rear gears will be fine, but I would've definitely run Ford EEC-IV or EEC-V EFI and use a 4R70W transmission. As for oil, I like the 5W-40 Rotella once it's broken in, 15W-40 dino Rotella for break-in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mesozoic
3.50 rear gears will be fine, but I would've definitely run Ford EEC-IV or EEC-V EFI and use a 4R70W transmission. As for oil, I like the 5W-40 Rotella once it's broken in, 15W-40 dino Rotella for break-in.

EEC-IV conversion is relatively easy (snag a harness and ECM from a Mustang) and yeah, if he gets mass air, would need very little to run larger injectors to feed the pig, heck, even an old Pro-M 24lb "calibrated" MAF would be sufficient.

I did a MAF conversion on my '89 Townie and an SEFI harness and ECM swap on my '88 F-250 when I did the 302HO conversion on it.

EEC-IV is a real breeze to work with so thanks for mentioning it, perhaps that's something the OP can think about
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Mesozoic

EEC-IV conversion is relatively easy (snag a harness and ECM from a Mustang) and yeah, if he gets mass air, would need very little to run larger injectors to feed the pig, heck, even an old Pro-M 24lb "calibrated" MAF would be sufficient.

I did a MAF conversion on my '89 Townie and an SEFI harness and ECM swap on my '88 F-250 when I did the 302HO conversion on it.

EEC-IV is a real breeze to work with so thanks for mentioning it, perhaps that's something the OP can think about
thumbsup2.gif

I do want convert to FI but, want to do a Megasquirt and piece together everything from scratch.

Brad Penn works,Will break my 351w(410 ci stroker) on rotella 10w30 (rec from builder).
Mine is full roller through. Going in a 69 Mach1.
Had a 78 t-bird town landau in high school(late 80's) with a 429 cobrajet out of a 1970 Torino.
Would swap 3rd members for highway running and screwing around, stock and a setup with 4.10s. Big boat beat up a lot of unsuspecting Iroc camaros and the like.

Last edited:
110 on the seat is nothing, especially with a hydraulic cam. You don't need anything special. I'd run 10W-30 SuperTech dino or any name brand you want. After it's fully broken in - say 20k, you can go exotic and run M1 5W-30. Leave the 2.90 in there - don't try to make that boat faster than it's meant to be, you'll end up hurting yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back