Oil for a built 97 Camaro SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Justin251
While stationed in California I knew guys that kept thier whole stock exhaust system and would swap the week of inspection.

Having owned one, you know as well as I do what kind of a MAJOR pain installing long tubes in these cars is (BOTH on the LT1 AND LS1 4th gens), especially having to do that EVERY year!!
eek.gif

Besides, doesn't the Republik Of Kali have their CHiPs do roadside spot checks, and pull overs, especially for performance oriented cars which are frequently modded, with BIG fines (or even impoundment) for smog equipment infractions??

They do but they are voluntary (for now). If you have loud exhaust and the fuzz want to a-holes they can issue a referee inspection. If you get stopped act like an adult and don't drive an overly obnoxious car (like a Donk, riced out or one of those "swangers")

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I ran M1 5w30 in my '97 Camaro Z28. Drove the heck out of that car for the 3 years that I owned it. Ran fine when I tracked it. Traded it in on my '02 Z28. A stout 30 or a light 40 would be fine for it. Redline 5w30 works fine in my built L98 Corvette track car. Castrol Syntec 0w30 is also a stout 30. M1 0w40 would be good, too.

How are you going to be using the car? For regular street use and the occasional day at the drag strip or autocross, a 30-weight would be fine. Unless the engine was built with loose bearing clearances, then you may have to go thicker.

I would agree with this. I have a '99 SS Camaro LS1. Have owned 2 LT-1's and 2 LS-1's Firebirds/Camaro's. Recently switched from M1 5w-30 to 0w-40 Mobil 1 in my stock '99.

I'd go with the easy availability and cheaper price of Mobil 1 0w-40 or Pennzoil 0w-40 SRT or 5w-40 PP Euro. All of these can be bought for $10-$12 jug with rebates. I'd generally skip the Amsoil, RP, and boutique blends. I'd pass on the PP/QSUD 5w-30 as those are weaker in HTHS and 100 deg C viscosity than even Mobil 1 5W-30. You're in SoCal which is quite warm....even more reason to push up higher from a standard 30 grade.

Originally Posted By: 6lbsoft
I don't have a suggestion, never having owned an LT1 car, but HOW do you ever get through the Republik Of Cali inspections with that thing?? (I take for granted it has long tubes on it.)
confused2.gif

Do you 'know someone' who does private inspections?

Fortumately it was built with all smog legal componets. Has EO#'s on the heads, cam, headers and cats. Passes a "legit" smog check =D

So you have Edelbrock heads with JBA or Magnaflow shorty headers and Magnaflow or Walker CARB certified catcons??

REAL Long tubes and aftermarket, high flow, 'metal matrix' catcons CANNOT BE street legal in Cali!
31.gif

Originally Posted By: 6lbsoft
I don't have a suggestion, never having owned an LT1 car, but HOW do you ever get through the Republik Of Cali inspections with that thing?? (I take for granted it has long tubes on it.)
confused2.gif

Do you 'know someone' who does private inspections?

Fortumately it was built with all smog legal componets. Has EO#'s on the heads, cam, headers and cats. Passes a "legit" smog check =D

So you have Edelbrock heads with JBA or Magnaflow shorty headers and Magnaflow or Walker CARB certified catcons??

REAL Long tubes and aftermarket, high flow, 'metal matrix' catcons CANNOT BE street legal in Cali!
31.gif

They're Trick Flow heads, Edelbrock EO mid-headers, Comp Cams cam. I decided to go with GC 0w-40 and a Delco PF1218 Filter.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I ran M1 5w30 in my '97 Camaro Z28. Drove the heck out of that car for the 3 years that I owned it. Ran fine when I tracked it. Traded it in on my '02 Z28. A stout 30 or a light 40 would be fine for it. Redline 5w30 works fine in my built L98 Corvette track car. Castrol Syntec 0w30 is also a stout 30. M1 0w40 would be good, too.

How are you going to be using the car? For regular street use and the occasional day at the drag strip or autocross, a 30-weight would be fine. Unless the engine was built with loose bearing clearances, then you may have to go thicker.

Yeah, I knew a Lexus Tech with a similar Camaro that he occasionally took to the strip. All he ran was M1 5W-30 and he followed a 6k OCI with good results. Saw the motor one time with valve covers off and it looked brand new. I'm sure 0W-40 would work fine as well.

I ended up using German Castrol 0w40 and a A/C Delco PF 1218 filter. Seems to be running great. Going to install a Auto Meter oil pressure gauge in a week or so since the stock gauge is non functional.

Keep us posted as you progress through this...

The real secret here is to make it quiet. Use as long a muffler as you can fit brand is your choice) and run tail pipes. Even if it's shiny and has big rubber, they don't usually look to close if it's quiet
laugh.gif

My Buivelle project (70 GX/BBC) will get series mufflers so it'll be like a Town Car as long as it's plugged. Pull the lake caps, that's a whole different ball game. But that won't happen on public roads ...

You do not want them to confiscate a car, you may never get it back ...

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Keep us posted as you progress through this...

The real secret here is to make it quiet. Use as long a muffler as you can fit brand is your choice) and run tail pipes. Even if it's shiny and has big rubber, they don't usually look to close if it's quiet
laugh.gif

My Buivelle project (70 GX/BBC) will get series mufflers so it'll be like a Town Car as long as it's plugged. Pull the lake caps, that's a whole different ball game. But that won't happen on public roads ...

You do not want them to confiscate a car, you may never get it back ...

I doubt that. I know guys who have been busted racing and the worst they got was a 30-day impound. Driving it the past week, in traffic never alarmed the police I drove past.

Up here, you get caught racing, you will likely never see your car again ... Especially in San Jose. Car goes to the crusher, you go to jail. Draconian I know, but they had too many bystander and pedestrian deaths from the "tuner" guys going at it ...

If you come north, be cool
smile.gif

If you want good results from your oil in minimum wear terms, get rid of the K&N and replace it with the OEM air filter unit.
If you really must use a non standard air filter, then get a UOA done to figure out what the OCI should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back