Which butter do you all use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im a fan of unsalted bread on Callandra's Panella - one of the best simple flavors youll ever encounter. On crusty cread with sesame seeds, Ill take salted butter from a local PA farm. Delicious.

If it's not grass fed it's not welcome in my home. Cows are not engineered to digest corn. Food is too important to be tampered with.

Why not just use vaseline? or your favorite grease, it has about the same effects on your arteries. As they say, a moment in the mouth, forever in the veins.

Use olive oil instead, preferably from California, it has a sweet fresh taste that in everything but smearing your morning toast cannot be beat. And for that is unsweetened preserves.

I don't understand how anal guys who obsess over the intricacies of which motor oil or filter to install in their car can be so neglectful of themselves. if not for self respect, donlt you have anyone who actually needs and depends on you?

Un-salted real butter. I don't notice much difference between brands. Just tastes good.

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I also use Kerrygold for spreading, and I use the Wegmans (grocery store) house brand for baking.

I have no problem with margarine or vegetable oils, but each item should be assessed individually for nutritional value. Nothing is good or bad because it's natural or synthetic.
My wife went to college when the kids were both in school, took some biology and chemistry. She likes to say margarine in one molecule away from being plastic.

Too true...look at linoleum versus flax-seed oil...one very healthy to consume.

Have read some of the early texts on margarine, and it was invented as a butter substitute so that the butter could be used for the war effort (the good stuff went to the troops)...then became an industry that needed to promote and support itselfe.

The whole "saturated fat" thing arose because there was no way of knowing about the trans/Cis bonds that were formed in the hydrogenation.

Originally Posted By: Noey
Why not just use vaseline? or your favorite grease, it has about the same effects on your arteries. As they say, a moment in the mouth, forever in the veins.

Use olive oil instead, preferably from California, it has a sweet fresh taste that in everything but smearing your morning toast cannot be beat. And for that is unsweetened preserves.

I don't understand how anal guys who obsess over the intricacies of which motor oil or filter to install in their car can be so neglectful of themselves. if not for self respect, donlt you have anyone who actually needs and depends on you?

You are way off the mark there...butter has been wrongly demonised, and isn't even close to what you are suggesting.

I have not tried anything domestic beyond what's available at grocery store.

I do have a connection for taking care of an international 767 pilot home occasionally when away and one of the treats was French butter she brought back. It was a different world/realm. Maybe no pasteurization?

When I go out to eat at steakhouse I get two loaded baked potatoes with nonstop butter. When I make mashed potatoes at home I use multiple spoons of butter.

Finlandia.

finlandia-imported-butter-unsalted-c5464c0267e46a6d.jpg

I grew up on margerine and now prefer the taste
20.gif
21.gif

Excuse me while I go slather some blue bonnet on some wonder bread and wash it down with a glass full of Tang

Olive oil is good for you I agree. But eating "healthy" one still winds up in a pine box.
Enjoy life, eat in moderation.

I grew up eating lots of butter and milk...what we would call natural these days, we are hard pressed to find anything as pure now. Then I went off dairy for many years, and used an olive marg. Now I'm into dairy again, not happy about marg, it's not really for eating, so getting back into butter. New Zealand and grass fed of course, that's what cow eat here.

I don't use real butter much anymore but still do on occasion. I buy what is cheaper and that is usually the store brand. Occasionally a name brand is offered on sale and I will get that. The name brands I see and use here are Land-O-Lakes and Cabot.

Also I always get salted real butter. Can't stand unsalted real butter. YUCK! It tastes like old time cheap margarine to me when it isn't salted. I don't even use it in baking. Always salted. I don't care if it is older and unsalted is newer. That doesn't make it lower quality.

For margarine type spreads I use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light. The regular version not the nasty one made with olive oil( gag ). To me it tastes the most like real butter. However, if you use it on hot foods it melts and releases a lot of moisture so I don't really like it on hot foods like toast that you want to stay crisp/crunchy. It's fine on veggies, potatoes, pasta, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back