Amsoil - Strategic Direction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
I'm so sick of hearing about Amsoil, I wouldn't use it if it was free.

+2

I gave it shot, and was very dissapointed. Used their recommended oil in my mid-mileage Harley Sportster 1200. Sounded worse than a threshing machine with a broken tie-bar. Made it all of 5 miles and it came out, to be replaced by a known oil.

They may be knowledgeable about oil formulations, but their application guidance is lousy
frown.gif

I though that I would find out in this thread that they had finally straightened out, and had updated their application/specifications guidance so that appropriate oils ended up in the right places.

That is not what I'm getting here...
frown.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

...I though that I would find out in this thread that they had finally straightened out, and had updated their application/specifications guidance so that appropriate oils ended up in the right places.

That is not what I'm getting here...
frown.gif

That wasn't my expectations according to the thread topic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Yeah, but I thought it might be discussed in the course of discussing business decisions and such ...

You're right. Sometimes another view helps.

At first I thought it might be about MLM distribution verses another method and the OP had some insight into a change within Amsoil.

Last experience with Amsoil was for 20w50 engine oil for the Harley Davidson motorcycle.
The HD is different because it has a separate oil reservoir for the engine oil, while most other motorcycles use a common reservoir for both the engine and wet clutch/chain.
Called Amsoil and spoke with technical representative.
Amsoil has three 20w50 oils
Premium, Z Rod, & Motorcycle.
The description for motorcycle indicates no friction modifiers.
Was also told that ZRod has no friction modifiers.
Do not know about Premium label.
Believe all of these labels are basically the same product.
This is the marketing strategy of Amsoil, same oil for motorcycle, vintage Jeep and generator, but different label, all with high ZDP concentrations with SJ rating.

I would think they would use three different additive packages for each as well as a different mix of base oil viscosities for each application.

Small blenders IMO will have an increasingly harder time staying relevant due to the majors producing top tier oils now. The gap just continues to close. There really is no performance advantage with Amsoil over any major top tier oil and on top of that, they are not even certified/approved against many industry/OEM specifications. It just doesn't make economic sense to use any boutique oil unless you need some small niche product they happen to make that you can't find among the major brands.

20w50 in synthetic is scarce.
There is the HD label for Harley Davidson & clone v- twins that use SJ in conventional.
There is 20w50 Valvoline VR1 synthetic & conventional racing.
Amsoil might have the largest market share for this niche market.
However, the vintage market tends to go with 15w40 diesel oil, even Shell Rotella T6 synthetic in my opinion.
Have no documented data to back it up.

Agree with MolaKule that all three Amsoil labels are probably blended slightly, differently. The ZRod probably has more anti corrosion additive, maybe something like Lubrizoil alkyl sulfonate or alkyl penate sulfide.

Garak wouldn't use a mono grade even if it was free.

Edit; If we keep this thread going, it will prevent another Amsiol topic start tomorrow.

Last edited:
For the most part, that's correct. The air compressor has a monograde. My lawnmower might have an SAE 30 in it after the small engine guy fixed the carb; he did an oil change. I have no problem with a monograde there, really, though it's a good place to get rid of leftovers, the same as the snowblower. I could actually handle a monograde in my snowblower, since it's never stored outside the heated garage in winter.

Your G37 is getting long in the tooth, it's eight years old already.
A good shot of Mobil 1330 will clean up the mess 5w40 is leaving behind year after year.
I'll buy you a dozen for the Infinity, but you have to post the UOA.
This will be fun!

Last edited:
Ever look at the current API list of certified products
And the long list provided by Petroleum Quality Institute of America, especially conventional engine oils?

How do these marketers market their products with X brand labels?
For example Davidson oil company has their own label that is also API certified called " Pride".
Where is this label sold and how is it marketed.
Small local grocery stores or general stores do not really exist any more?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I would think they would use three different additive packages for each as well as a different mix of base oil viscosities for each application.

I have some VOA's that bear witness to this.
I assume the basestocks are the same but the additive packs appear to be noticeably different.

Last edited:

Yet your reading and posting in a thread about Amsoil???

Amsoil does publish a fare amount of test data on their product, more than others.
However, being posted on their own site, it might be biased and skewed.
The main advantage about Amsoil is the SJ rating available in synthetic for air cooled small engines like V-Twin motorcycles, lawnmowers & generators, also vintage flat tappet v8 & the popular Ford straight six 300.There is a complete form on the Ford 300.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: VNTS
Yet your reading and posting in a thread about Amsoil???
And more than likely has never used it and so has no valid information upon which to form an opinion other than what is posted here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back