Interpreting oil pressure vs engine RPM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely. New engine program will run a break-in session and pull the bottom end and mic the bearings and look at scuff patterns. If they are all OK, we have the right oil. We never put a motor out with 5W-30.

!0W-30 or maybe 10W-40 for a street engine. More likely 15W-40. But the oil is often a cam grinders choice and we have to use their guidelines or no warranty. I know it sounds crazy, but say Howard's Racing Cams is the supplier, they have a full 5-year warranty on a complete valve train package. I won't jeopardize that by6 going off spec. They spec Brad-Penn 10W-30 (or equal) for break-in. I have permission to use VR-1 (silver bottle) as an equal.

Nitro motors do not break valve trains the same way. They lift heads and induce carnage, or hole a piston (lean) fry the bottom end. For those case we are not looking at warranty. We are looking at survivability...

I no longer care to chase the brass ring and try to build absolute class winners. Those guys are a parts vacuum machines as the breakage rates are so high. Yeah, they can be looking for 1~2 HP and anything that will get there including running tighter clearances (0.0015~0020 for 5W-20 equivalent race oils) on the big ends to reduce viscose drag. But, see where that gets them? No give at all. One surface not polished and round enough will spin a bearing and toss and engine in nothing flat.

If I tried to build such an engine, I'd be looking at 75 PSI hot for 20 grade at OP temp to try to make sure I was oiling well enough... And now I just gave up the gains to pumping losses...

I used to love to go to the boat drags because you could watch the crews rebuild the top fuel engines, It was amazing to see what they looked like. I loved the yellow greenish oil.

And the gold-green stains in the aluminum heads
laugh.gif

They slowly "annodize" gold'ish over heat cycles, if they live
smile.gif

Some back to topic discussion.

You've got a (pretty big) V-8, with some boost, and a torque curve that's not "flat", delivers 60+ percent max torque from not far off idle, to a max RPM around 6,000 RPM.

You have the capability of delivering serious loads to big end (and crank) bearings at some pretty low speeds...problem is that the minimum oil film thickness (MOFT) is determined by
* viscosity - more viscosity is greater MOFT
* RPM - more RPM is greater MOFT
* Load - more Load (torque is load, consider an arm wrestle as torque) is less MOFT

So the ability to provide massive torque at low RPM, in a weighty vehicle means that you need a completely different animal to a Vaxhaull Astra engine producing no torque, and requiring uber Revs to drive it's low inertia vehicle to the same speeds and acceleration.

Old NA domestic V8 engines blocks are not typically skirted or X-bolted, and flex under load.
On top of that; pile on crank flex, harmonics and who knows what else which add up to a .003" rod & main clearance engine build.
An increase in bearing clearance is a decrease in MOFT.
The 4th reason not to experiment with low viscosity engine oils in old Detroit (pronounced Dee-twaa) iron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back