Flight Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use flightaware.com (or the Flightaware app for mobile devices.)

Works great. I particularly like the feature where you are sitting at the airport gate but your plane isn't there- you can enter your flight number, and click "check inbound flight" to see if the equipment is going to arrive on time for your flight (doesn't tell you about the flight CREW though).

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I particularly like the feature where you are sitting at the airport gate but your plane isn't there- you can enter your flight number, and click "check inbound flight" to see if the equipment is going to arrive on time for your flight (doesn't tell you about the flight CREW though).

BTW, the FlightView app on smartphone has this feature, too.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Looking for a free AIRLINE FLIGHT TRACKER. One that shows where the plane is when flying along with expected arrival time. Ed

If you're a plane spotter, or aviation enthusiast, then the above recommendations are good.

If you're going to pick someone up at the airport and want to know what time they're getting in, then the best way is to download that airline's app to your phone and subscribe to notifications. They're all free.

What you can't tell from flight trackers: assigned approach procedures, approach speeds, taxi times, gate availability.

For example, an airplane is 20 miles from EWR. They fly at 250 KTS, right? So, how far away are they?

Well, if they're on final and slowed to 180 KTS, then that airplane is about 8 minutes from landing, because they'll slow to final approach speed at about 4 miles.

But, if they're on vectors on the opposite side of the airport, then they might be 30 minutes from landing as they get sequenced into the arrival traffic, vectored away from the airport, etc.

You can't tell, even with extensive aviation experience, which one of the above cases is true. Even then, you don't really know the average ground time after landing.

But some of the airline apps use known arrival averages for that city, at that time of day, for that time of year, and they are far more accurate than a guess looking at aircraft position. The airline also knows if the gate is open (or not) and so, the app will account for those delays.

Finally, the app sends you push notifications, so all you do is subscribe, and you'll be updated in real time without having to do anything else.

Easy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
google does it without much fanfare. just google the flight number.

https://www.google.com/search?q=delta+1211&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Except that Google doesn't send you real-time push notifications as the flight information changes.

I spend a lot of time at airports, and so does my family.

The airline's own app is the best way to track a flight and to meet people that you're picking up.

Further, the app uses very little of your phone's data...unlike web pages...

Originally Posted By: Astro14

The airline's own app is the best way to track a flight and to meet people that you're picking up.

That's actually not always been my experience. I've used the airline apps and FlightAware at the same time, and FlightAware's data is usually quite a bit ahead of the airlines. I think at least some of the airlines deliberately hold off on telling you about delays, but you can watch the delay happen in realtime on FlightAware.

That said, Southwest's app is pretty darn good if you setup notifications. On a recent trip I started getting delay notices from SWA 12+ hours ahead of a scheduled flight... so I traced the aircraft scheduled for the flight back through a whole day's worth of hopping about the western half of the US and discovered that it had been delayed by a thunderstorm in St. Louis by 45 minutes. As the day wore on, the aircraft slowly made up time and got back on schedule, Southwest pushed out another couple of notices reducing the estimated delay, and my flight wasn't ultimately delayed. Southwest was honest right at the start, but to figure out what was really going on was a lot easier with FlightAware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back