351W build with a flat tappet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ssregal39
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I'd probably look at the Weiand Stealth for this setup FWIW.

I think I agree. Or the RPM.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Don't believe everything you read, but regardless, this is an interesting website: Scroll down a million words if you wanna see his test data. https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

I've looked at this, a few times. I don't really know what to think of it. Is it real? What's the test? I'd like to believe it....

Well, he says it isn't designed to replicate the conditions which are found inside an engine, which is exactly what you would be looking for something to perform well in, at that point is pretty much loses most of its value.

It has been talked about on this board what must be 100 times now. Some of the most favoured oils for FT applications do poorly in his "test". Oils with high levels of ZDDP, which are recommended for FT applications, do poorly.

In fact the Valvoline VR-1 recommended here, places #27, whilst Quaker State 0w-20 places #3. Mobil 1 5w-30 is #5.

Joe Gibbs Racing 5w-30 is #23, Joe Gibbs Racing DT40 5w-40 is #32.

Rotella 15w-40, which has like twice the ZDDP as the Quaker State, is at #133.

Draw your own conclusions.

(RE: OP says the roller setup was too expensive)

$$$$ I really wanted to but, cost was a major factor. Almost $700 just for the cam and tie bar lifters. FT was 175.

Casting code F4TE blocks are roller ready. These blocks were from the mid-90s Ford trucks. But since you've already spent your money on a flat-tappet setup, I digress.....
Nice ride, BTW. Somewhere in my inventory, I've got a Motorsport M-6303-B385 forged 393 stroker waiting for good use.

1.) There's a long thread here somewhere where RAT's testing has been dissected at length. I do think he has something to contribute and I correspond with him on oil testing occasionally. BUT, his whole test scenario was to figure out an oil/additive combo to keep class-limited circle track motors alive (his initial customers). These motors have to run flat tappets and they get scary aggressive with lobe ramps and such.

So his testing has some oblique application, but it's not all there is to know, even if he says so
laugh.gif

2.) I have a Poll over at Chevells.com - http://www.chevelles.com/forums/13-performance/831521-what-oil-do-you-use.html Over 150 responders, so decent sample size, and the leader is VR-1 by far. That's 2:1 lead over Mobil! and all the others including Brad Penn.

3.) I've had good luck with Delo400 15W-40 in warmed over street engines with flat tappets including the 302 in my big Bronco with over 200K on the ODO.

Chevron has new slightly lighter Delo 15W-30 Severe Duty (SD) that looks very promising. I might go that way for your build if you can get it locally.

But I'll bet that VR-1 is at the local AutoZone for reasonable $$, and is almost the default oil for you
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
1.) There's a long thread here somewhere where RAT's testing has been dissected at length. I do think he has something to contribute and I correspond with him on oil testing occasionally. BUT, his whole test scenario was to figure out an oil/additive combo to keep class-limited circle track motors alive (his initial customers). These motors have to run flat tappets and they get scary aggressive with lobe ramps and such.

So his testing has some oblique application, but it's not all there is to know, even if he says so
laugh.gif

2.) I have a Poll over at Chevells.com - http://www.chevelles.com/forums/13-performance/831521-what-oil-do-you-use.html Over 150 responders, so decent sample size, and the leader is VR-1 by far. That's 2:1 lead over Mobil! and all the others including Brad Penn.

3.) I've had good luck with Delo400 15W-40 in warmed over street engines with flat tappets including the 302 in my big Bronco with over 200K on the ODO.

Chevron has new slightly lighter Delo 15W-30 Severe Duty (SD) that looks very promising. I might go that way for your build if you can get it locally.

But I'll bet that VR-1 is at the local AutoZone for reasonable $$, and is almost the default oil for you
smile.gif

I'll have to do some searching.

I'd go 15W-40 Chevron Delo with a bottle of Justice Brothers added to it.

I hope that cam isn't too high of a lift for 2:90's on the back end.

2.90 I think.

Thats pretty tall for any performance. A 3.55 or 3.80 would be much quicker.

In that big of a boat, yes you are surely going to want to go with a 3.73 gear at minimum or that nice motor will never be able to reach its potential.

I've been thinking about changing the gear and probably will at some point.

It has an 8.8 out back right? I'm not super familiar with that car, that's why I'm asking.

I said 3.55 or 3.80 earlier but thinking about this, a 3.90 or 4.10 would sleeper quick with quiet exhaust. 4.56 without overdrive would really be winding and slurp the fuel.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I've been thinking about changing the gear and probably will at some point.

It has an 8.8 out back right? I'm not super familiar with that car, that's why I'm asking.

9" so I have a bazillion ratios to choose from.
An AOD would be nice but, I'm keeping the C4. 3.73 will probably be the best choice.

Last edited:
With an Automatic and any decent stall, I'd opt for 3.55's for a street car. Even at that, if the motor is not asleep, you'll have a hard time hooking street tires on real pavement most evenings
laugh.gif

With a high lift cam a 2:90 gears, it's gonna be a dog off the line - and I mean real bad. I would've went with a stock/mild cam and massaged the heads a little bit. Probably would've went with an EGR delete intake manifold and port matched it to the heads.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
With a high lift cam a 2:90 gears, it's gonna be a dog off the line - and I mean real bad. I would've went with a stock/mild cam and massaged the heads a little bit. Probably would've went with an EGR delete intake manifold and port matched it to the heads.

We shall see. The cam will only have 267* seat duration.
This is really a big experiment, something for fun.

We shall see. The cam will only have 267* seat duration.
This is really a big experiment, something for fun.

Did you think to consult the cam manufacturer before deciding on that cam ?

The first question the guy would ask you is the rear end gear ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back