Another should I change my oil thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a month from now I have to go on a 12 hour, 700 mile round trip road trip into Iowa and I believe that my Accord will be close to needing an oil change according to the MM. As a BITOG member I have to ask if I should leave the SynPower in the Accord or dump it right before the trip and refill with either Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Platinum, or franken brew Mobil 1.
Keep in mind that the 3.5 VCM is suppose to the hard on oil

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
In a month from now I have to go on a 12 hour, 700 mile round trip road trip into Iowa and I believe that my Accord will be close to needing an oil change according to the MM. As a BITOG member I have to ask if I should leave the SynPower in the Accord or dump it right before the trip and refill with either Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Platinum, or franken brew Mobil 1.
Keep in mind that the 3.5 VCM is suppose to the hard on oil

I would dump it and refill with Frankenbrew.

Dump the car, leave in the oil...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
How many miles on the current oil?

700 miles isn't that much.

As of today the current fill has been in the sump for 6 weeks and 3000 miles with the MM at 50%. The trip Iowa is right at 1 month away and the MM is at 50% now, so I am assuming that the MM will be at 15 or 20% right when I am on the trip.

Last edited:
I'm in the same predicament... OCI will be up when I'm in Georgia next month. I'm going to change it prior to leaving .

I think when you get back from your trip, the MM should be at 10% ish so u should be OK leaving the oil in and changing it when u get back from your trip

You are a Bitoger, we worry about things like this. Change it and you'll sleep better at night. Just ran PP in my TL and made my valve train clatter, disliked it. Changed oil last week back to Royal Purple and quiet as can be. Both cars use the same motor, just my experience to use M1 and RP run very quiet with this engine.

Last edited:
A long trip is easy on oil and changing it right before you leave can expose you to any number of issues. I'd just top it off and do it when you get back. 700 miles is just a weekend trip to the in-laws in my neck of the woods!

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
A long trip is easy on oil and changing it right before you leave can expose you to any number of issues. I'd just top it off and do it when you get back. 700 miles is just a weekend trip to the in-laws in my neck of the woods!

+1

I'm in the leave-it-until-you-get-back crowd.

In a month from now I have to go on a 12 hour, 700 mile round trip road trip into Iowa and I believe that my Accord will be close to needing an oil change according to the MM. ,,,,,, should leave the SynPower in the Accord or dump it right before the trip

Does Honda say to use a full synthetic oil ?
If not, and any SN / GF-5 mineral oil is acceptable to Honda, then your MM is calibrated to a mineral oil and it should be fine to go further on the SynPower.

Also, I don't like doing work on my vehicles just before a big trip, you cross thread a sump plug and suddenly you have a big problem and no time to deal with it.

Change it when you get back home. My 2 cents.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch

+1

I'm in the leave-it-until-you-get-back crowd.

+2, leave it in and change it when you get back.

I had a 2013 Accord Sport
I had to leave for a 970 mile run. So maybe 2500 miles round trip. I only had 30% life left on the OLM. I felt like you. Well that was I95 Interstate mileage and I usually do local driving and not much either.
So I came home with 20% life still left and the OLM did not say change until 3 months afterwards. As they said here Highway driving like that has little impact on the oil.
I worried for nothing. It was the 4cyl. CVT with OEM 0w20

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
How many miles on the current oil?

700 miles isn't that much.

As of today the current fill has been in the sump for 6 weeks and 3000 miles with the MM at 50%. The trip Iowa is right at 1 month away and the MM is at 50% now, so I am assuming that the MM will be at 15 or 20% right when I am on the trip.

Leave it in. Highway miles are easy on the oil. It will probably still have a lot of useful life left when you get back.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Leave it in. Highway miles are easy on the oil. It will probably still have a lot of useful life left when you get back.

I agree.

We had a similar situation earlier this year on the 2013 Dodge GC. We ended up with 13942 miles in 6 months on the oil before it got changed. Normal is OLM, 10k, or 1 year. Was running M1 0w-20. The Pentastar 3.6 finally used some oil, ~6 oz. as best as I could measure. Can't have that, new fill is M1 5W-20 es.

Only 3k are you kidding? LEAVE IT. You are in the sweet spot for oil performance at mileage showing lowest wear. Trip miles are EASY on oil. That engine is WAY oversized for that car anyhow.

Yeah- agreed
Before I left low profile tires on my Honda looked sort of low.
Dummy me tried to check the air and the valve stem started leaking all over the place before I left. It got iced up bad and did some damage. Sort the car out a week or two before... Good advice!

Originally Posted By: SR5
In a month from now I have to go on a 12 hour, 700 mile round trip road trip into Iowa and I believe that my Accord will be close to needing an oil change according to the MM. ,,,,,, should leave the SynPower in the Accord or dump it right before the trip

Does Honda say to use a full synthetic oil ?
If not, and any SN / GF-5 mineral oil is acceptable to Honda, then your MM is calibrated to a mineral oil and it should be fine to go further on the SynPower.

Also, I don't like doing work on my vehicles just before a big trip, you cross thread a sump plug and suddenly you have a big problem and no time to deal with it.

Change it when you get back home. My 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back