CARQUEST Filters are now made by Purolator (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to AAP in West Seattle yesterday and to my surprise, the CQ red I bought is a Purolator clone with a manufactured date of April 2016.

Compared to some of the older Purolators I have in my stash, it appears the newer ones have a thicker gasket, which I think will help create a better seal. The Promotive I used in the wife's Murano was leaking slightly towards the end of the OCI.

Anyway, here is proof CQ is shifting towards Purolator. Without cutting it open, it appears to be a carbon copy of the Purolator reds, with its louver design many love to hate. Not sure what the premium CQ line is as the CQs are hidden in the back (you have to ask the sales rep to bring them out), and I wasn't interested in purchasing a premium filter for 5k OCIs. Meanwhile Puro-branded filters are on the shelf for the public to choose.

The AAP I went to is a very small store. Formerly a CQ (According to Google Street View).

CQ1_zpswqzgn9v3.jpeg

CQ_zpshap9zwxw.jpeg

CQ2_zps8r3uzipw.jpeg

Maybe someone can clarify but I thought the Blues were made by Champ and some reds by Wix (who is now in Purolator group). But some reds I thought were also made by Champ.

So does Carquest change who they outsource these to every 2 years or what?

Seems to have a Purolator date code:

F04H25E2

F = Fayetteville, North Carolina Plant
04 = Month (April)
H = Year (2016)
25 = Day of the Month
E = Line Number
2 = Shift

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

So does Carquest change who they outsource these to every 2 years or what?

It probably goes whoever offers the best pricing. It looks like Purolator won this time.

Just speculating here, but wondering if this is similar to what is going on currently with STP filters at AZ.

In this area at least, STP still Champ/Fram/Rank made. Out west it seems based on info and recent filter dissection they are Puro made.

Guess time will tell but no doubt for me this one is M&H Puro made.

Not sure why they would do this, as they already sell the Purolator Classic red can. At least with the Fram CQ's, they're something different. That was a short contract!

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
This may explain why Rock Auto clearanced the Champ made CQ reds last fall.

Fram was still making the CQ filters in January, as I bought one at an AAP a few months ago, in 2016.

Not surprising. The store brand has to be a price leader item, not one that most customers buy based upon features or performance. It seems likely that by far, when buying a store brand filter, the expectations of customers are that it meets OEM specifications, and that it is a bargain.

So it makes sense that Carquest would go out for competitive bids on a regular basis, for manufacturing of a store brand filter. Lowest price for filter with quality good enough that it won't taint the company name wins.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
I went to AAP in West Seattle yesterday and to my surprise, the CQ red I bought is a Purolator clone with a manufactured date of April 2016.

Compared to some of the older Purolators I have in my stash, it appears the newer ones have a thicker gasket, which I think will help create a better seal. The Promotive I used in the wife's Murano was leaking slightly towards the end of the OCI.

Anyway, here is proof CQ is shifting towards Purolator. Without cutting it open, it appears to be a carbon copy of the Purolator reds, with its louver design many love to hate. Not sure what the premium CQ line is as the CQs are hidden in the back (you have to ask the sales rep to bring them out), and I wasn't interested in purchasing a premium filter for 5k OCIs. Meanwhile Puro-branded filters are on the shelf for the public to choose.

The AAP I went to is a very small store. Formerly a CQ (According to Google Street View).

CQ1_zpswqzgn9v3.jpeg

CQ_zpshap9zwxw.jpeg

CQ2_zps8r3uzipw.jpeg

I noticed this last week as well at an AAP for filter #R85334. It looked like a Purolator filter with the louvered center tube.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
I noticed this last week as well at an AAP for filter #R85334. It looked like a Purolator filter with the louvered center tube.

Purolator isn't the only one using the slotted center tube. The Fram-made CQ's have the slots, too. Hastings/Baldwin/Clarcor has been using the slots longer than anyone else has. So that's not a good indication of the supplier.

The date code is a better way to tell. Dotted yellow text on the top of the can indicates a Fram made in Albion, IL. A short red code printed axially on the side of the can, in the format Axxxxx, is a Fram made in Greenville, OH.

Purolator date codes are of the format FxxHxx.., on the top of the can. H means it was made in 2016. G means it was made in 2015, F for 2014, etc. The first F is Fayetteville, NC. They can be either black or white dotted letters.

Hastings date codes are dotted black letters on the top of the can, but they are a longer format than the Purolator codes, and will have the year as a number not a letter. Hastings makes CQ's HD filters.

Wix date codes are smooth (non-dotted) white text on the top of the can. This easy to see on black cans, but can be difficult to read on white cans. Wix made the CQ filters before the AAP takeover (2013).

I have used Baldwin/Hastings filters and am currently running a Baldwin, so I am aware that Puro filters aren't the only ones with the louvered center tubes ... Puro didn't start using the louvered tubes until recently. I am also aware of the date codes, as I have used many different brands of filters. What I meant to say was that the R85334 filter looked like a Puro filter, with the same looking base plate, can, dome end (inside and outside) ... along with the Puro style date code. As soon as I saw the filter, it looked like a Purolator to me. And it has the louvered center tube like in the new Puro lineup.

Quote:
...It's true even the blues will be Purolator very soon

So that statement can be interpreted to mean that information directly from the so called "bat cave" says it's 'definitive' that Fram/Rank has lost the entire AAP CQ oil filter contract??

'If' so, that didn't last long. Similar to O'R MicroGard.

So does this mean i need to stock up on my CQ blues now till i see the date in big letters not he top?? Unreal these guys always trying to cheapen out something...

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:
...It's true even the blues will be Purolator very soon

So that statement can be interpreted to mean that information directly from the so called "bat cave" says it's 'definitive' that Fram/Rank has lost the entire AAP CQ oil filter contract??

'If' so, that didn't last long. Similar to O'R MicroGard.

How dare you question the omnipotent bat cave.

Just who do you think you are to question unsubstantiated nonsense presented as fact, and on the internet of all places?

Shame on you sir.

Originally Posted By: Shellguy
So does this mean i need to stock up on my CQ blues now till i see the date in big letters not he top?? Unreal these guys always trying to cheapen out something...

Every company / City municipality / Government agency / everyone in existence goes out for bids on EVERYTHING. How is that being cheap?

Looks like Purolator must have won the bid. Big deal. Im sure they will work just as good now as they did with the past gagillion filters made under countless other contracts.

Relax...dont get hurt by some general conversation....i more or less was saying these guys change contracts so fast its unreal...i understand how things work doesn't mean i like it...all I'm saying.

And car what u think...u like those Mobil ones u cut open huh?? they look good i must say

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back