Witnessed accident and driver running from scene

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was driving down a 35 mph road and a car pulled out in front of me and I had to get on the brakes pretty good. A cop car was two cars behind me and in the right turning lane. After I laid on the horn he aborted the right turn. At the next light the car that pulled out in front of me got in the turning lane and the cop pulled him over after he made the turn. About 10 minutes later I was coming back the same way and the car was still pulled over.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
The hard part will be proving that the registered owner was at the wheel of that truck.

If he keeps his mouth shut, he can get away clean with the whole thing.

Nope.
He's either going to take the rap or give up whomever he lent his rig to.
No way around it.

Bill: "Joe borrowed my truck.
Joe: "No, I didn't!"

Can't prove it, Bill and Joe both walk.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
I don't think we need vigilantes that could potentially endanger others taking the law in their own hands. Vowel, "decades in prison" for letting some wood or objects fall out of a pick up truck??? I'd advise taking a criminology course at the local college to understand what "negligent homicide" really is.

Aren't you the guy who believes drinking and driving isn't that serious?

This situation could be similar to a guy who was strangled after stealing personal care items from CVS. The poorly trained "security guard" chased him out side the store. Somehow his actions ended the shoplifters life and a huge lawsuit against CVS.

Originally Posted By: stranger706
So this morning on my way to work on the interstate, a few hundred yards in front of me a recliner falls off a trailer and lands in the left lane. Cars 1 and 2 swerve around it but car 3 nails it and fishtails into the guard rail. A lot of body damage but he stayed upright and didn't look too bad. A few people pull over to help and the state trooper behind me also pulls off to help and direct traffic.

So I drive by and I'm watching the truck & trailer the recliner came from. He pulls over about 1/2 mile down the road. Its an F250 type truck with a garden variety flatbed trailer. There's a bunch of junk on the trailer not even tied down. Beds, boxes and some yard equipment. I keep driving and as soon as I pass him he pulls back onto the interstate and goes flying by me. Hmm, looks like he's leaving the scene and trying to run. So I speed up a bit just to see what he does. At first I thought he was looking for a better place to pull over or just turn around and go back. Nope! He's doing 80 - 90 mph, passing several exits and not looking back. When I realize he isn't stopping, I take a few pictures of his vehicle and tags.

When I got to work I emailed the pics to the local PD. They responded, thanks we forwarded these to the State Troopers, they are looking for him.

Hope they find the dirtbag.

Back in the early '90s my wife and I were driving on I-71 North behind a 944 when a moron in a ragged F150 cut it off, causing the Porsche to spin into the guardrail. We slowed down to help and then noticed the truck taking off. The 535is I was driving wasn't all that fast(140 mph top) but I was able to catch the DB and get his plate number. I turned it over to the KSP trooper who responded to the call and once he ran the tag he recognized the name immediately- a guy who had a suspended license and several outstanding warrants.
Some people deserve to suffer a slow and excruciatingly painful death- and not just for trashing the 944...

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Bill: "Joe borrowed my truck.
Joe: "No, I didn't!"

Can't prove it, Bill and Joe both walk.

It would obviously depend on the jurisdiction. Here, the registered owner is financially responsible, through his insurance, unless he has reported his vehicle as stolen. That has gotten some idiot parents into hot water up here. Junior borrowed the truck without permission, is the excuse. Well, that's theft. Are you filing a complaint against Junior for stealing your truck? No? Well, then it's your responsibility.

Oh yes, it certainly is. But, we also have parents blaming their kids, or shielding for their kids, and so forth. Sort of a funny story, years back, someone nearby failed to report an accident, having been drunk while being in the accident. It was a single vehicle accident, a rollover with no property damage other than his own vehicle, fortunately. Well, he didn't report it, and someone picked the vehicle clean, stealing everything off it that could be unbolted. Insurance was not very kind to him.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Kettle meet pot.

This guy endangered motorists
to get a "good pic" of the license plate. And yet he gets kudos and compliments from the usual crowd. Law enforcement usually doesn't like this type of actions because they know that amateurs have no business being the real police.

You admit to driving drunk on the roads ... you should take your own advice.
wink.gif

You expect a repeated drunk driver to take advice? Drunk drivers are the scum of the earth knowingly endangering the lives of others.

How anyone can compare taking pictures of a criminal to the actual one doing the endangering is beyond me except someone living a life of delusion and stupor.

Garak, he could of told the insurance that he was "disorientated" from the crash and went for immediate medical attention. In the U.S., the burden of proof, on paper, falls on the prosecution. I don't let law enforcement judge my behaviors. The only person who has that right is God himself.

Oh, in the case I'm mentioning, he didn't get charged, as far as I know. But, the insurance company hammered him with two deductibles. They judged his behaviour, and billed him accordingly.

I don't let law enforcement judge my behaviors.

You don't have a choice, unless you wanna end up like Michael Brown...

Originally Posted By: grampi
I don't think we need vigilantes that could potentially endanger others taking the law in their own hands. Vowel, "decades in prison" for letting some wood or objects fall out of a pick up truck??? I'd advise taking a criminology course at the local college to understand what "negligent homicide" really is.

Querty1234 doesn't like vigilantes chasing down cars and getting license plate numbers because they tend to do that whenever they see drunk drivers. If it wasn't for those pesky anti-drunk driving vigilantes, he would have gotten away with it even more than he already does.

That's why he thinks that someone getting a license plate number and reporting it to the police is such a bad thing (for him, and any other criminals out there).

I bet he hates the idea of Amber Alerts too, where they broadcast a description of a vehicle and license plate, while they try to get a kidnapped child back, safe.

BC.

I don't let law enforcement judge my behaviors.

You don't have a choice, unless you wanna end up like Michael Brown...

We can but hope...

Garak, he did the right thing though. I'd imagine he would of got dinged even more if they arrested him for a DUI violation.

I don't know about the "right" thing, and I'm not sure about the best choice for him, either. He may have avoided a criminal conviction, but his deductibles cost him over double what the fine would have been for impaired driving, and if the insurer wrote his vehicle off, he still would have paid two deductibles and they wouldn't have given him much, and would definitely have played hardball on the stolen contents.

The guys stripping his vehicle down did a great public service. The authorities didn't lift a finger to track them down for him, either.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

Querty1234 doesn't like vigilantes chasing down cars and getting license plate numbers because they tend to do that whenever they see drunk drivers. If it wasn't for those pesky anti-drunk driving vigilantes, he would have gotten away with it even more than he already does.

That's why he thinks that someone getting a license plate number and reporting it to the police is such a bad thing (for him, and any other criminals out there).

I bet he hates the idea of Amber Alerts too, where they broadcast a description of a vehicle and license plate, while they try to get a kidnapped child back, safe.

BC.

He's also anti-police...must be pro-thug...

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
The hard part will be proving that the registered owner was at the wheel of that truck.

If he keeps his mouth shut, he can get away clean with the whole thing.

Nope.
He's either going to take the rap or give up whomever he lent his rig to.
No way around it.

While not believable, he could say that he rented his truck to someone he met on the street for a short haul. That would be difficult to disprove.

The only thing that will come about of this is truck owner will end up using insurance or dealing with insurance company who pays out accident. Troopers are not going to investigate this too deeply or likely prosecute.

Maybe a ticket for not properly securing a load in addition. This comes from someone who had wife's vehicle rear ended by van (left imprint of plate) who ran and responding trooper said insurance will sort it but put imprint of plate pic into police report. Insurance chase down the violator who fessed up and his insurance likely paid because no deductibles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back