Done with Sandisk USB Sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I had a Cruzer mini 512MB many years ago. It failed. Had a Kingston that got too small, so I got a new Sandisk about a year ago. One was bad out of the box, the other I got (two pack) just unmounted and failed on me.

Trying to recover data now.. UGH. Yes, I have backups but they are not the most recent...

Whats a reasonable brand that wont fail regularly???

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I use Lexar and Kingston mostly.

I have a Lexar 32GB (orange top). It's USB3, but is choosy about which USB3 ports it's willing to talk to.

My Kingston DataTraveler 16GB USB3, on the other hand, works everywhere.

I remember wring 80 minutes of music to a cd. Or going through a stack of floppy to write a single folder. man...makes me feel the speed of time whizzing by.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Yeah ive had issues with lexar and sandisk.. Kingston traveller is solid.. Never an issue with it.

Same here.

Still bitter about getting one of the bad batch SSDs that SanDisk put out this year. I'm fluent in Indian now.

I have been using the Corsair Voyager GT 3.0 250GB for a while with no trouble, the old Voyager GT 2.0 is 11 yrs old or more and still going strong.

I have had good luck with the metal samsung flash drives.

I use them at work all the time and beat them up.

I buy the 16gb or 32gb, not too expensive ($10), so I don't worry about losing it.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I wonder if SanDisk has a new supplier because my 14 year old SD are still going strong and I update the data on them every quarter? Ed

I've got various SanDisk SD cards as well, ranging from 1-year-old to 10+ years old. No issues with any of them.

But the OP is referring to USB flash drives. Maybe the USB controller is what fails?

Originally Posted By: Rand
samsung.

64GB = 20$
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Flash-Driv...msung+usb+drive

or if you want a mini one for car music storage..
32GB 11$
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Flash-Driv...+usb+drive+32gb

A little OT here, as it may not be relevant to the OP, but do you own one of these by any chance? How fast are they when it comes to reading/writing small files? Most of these flash drives are super slow under such usage. I was just curious as I need one for an OS drive. Ideally, an SSD would be better for this purpose, but a USB stick is still smaller.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Whats a reasonable brand that wont fail regularly???

SanDisk is one of the more reasonable brand, the other is Lexar.

Kingston USB is usually from Samsung and SD from Toshiba, so they are not bottom of the bin in quality either.

I'd say you should try a different retailer or a different computer and see if you have better luck. These electronics devices are pretty sensitive to statics and voltage spikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back