Replacing Drywall In The Bathroom (Insulation)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was in the process of removing the wallpaper in the bathroom when I noticed some blackish stuff coming thru the drywall which I assume is mold. So I decided just to tear it all out and put up some mold resistant drywall. Should I put some insulation and vapour barrier on the inside walls to.... while I"m at it?

Yes, without question. I used to do it for a living. You will need to remove every trace of mold or it will eventually return.

Check plumbing for leaks, fix them, remove old insulation, completely dry out the framing and inside the wall, install new insulation, install green board type drywall, finish it and you are good to go.

I would have someone test the air before and after the work is done to make sure you arent breathing in higher than normal mold spores.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Was in the process of removing the wallpaper in the bathroom when I noticed some blackish stuff coming thru the drywall which I assume is mold. So I decided just to tear it all out and put up some mold resistant drywall. Should I put some insulation and vapour barrier on the inside walls to.... while I"m at it?

Opening up the wall was the right thing to do. You must identify the source of the moisture and apply the proper fix. Then let it dry thoroughly and kill the mold. My favorite cleanup is 50/50 bleach/water and spray the whole area down, then let that dry. I always use green board in a bathroom, but it depends on the circumstances.

I currently have a 4'X5' hole in the hallway wall where a shower control failed in the master bath. Found the issue while dealing with another issue. because of the location of the repairs, regular wallboard will be fine.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
You must identify the source of the moisture and apply the proper fix.

It doesn't surprise me there's mold .The house was built in 1960 and never had a Ceiling Exhaust Fan.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
You must identify the source of the moisture and apply the proper fix.

It doesn't surprise me there's mold .The house was built in 1960 and never had a Ceiling Exhaust Fan.

Baths are high moisture rooms, and without a vent fan the outside wall will have condensation inside the wall and mold.

1. Install a vent fan
2. use mold resistant dry wall
3. use good insulation on outside walls, make sure you put it behind the pipes and don't compress the insulation, add more on top of piles if need, feel free to use rigid insulation per code.

Roxul or Rockwool, I will never use fiberglass again.

Does not mold or wick up water like fiberglass does. That with greenboard and you are home free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back