351W build with a flat tappet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the middle of building a 351W for a 78 Thunderbird. I haven't messed with a flat tappet cam since 2008. The hydraulic flat tappet cam will have about 110 pounds on the seat and 270-300 open. .576" lift with 1.7 rockers 220* at .050 duration.
Obviously use the cam lube for break in but, what oil? What oil after break in?
Thanks in advance!

$$$$ I really wanted to but, cost was a major factor. Almost $700 just for the cam and tie bar lifters. FT was 175.

Yeah, FT is definitely cheaper. The TFS lifters are $430, the TFS #1, which would be somewhat comparable to what you are running, is $246.00. I picked the one I used to run in my 302 up for around $150.00 (great thing about roller cams, you can recycle them easily and without worry) but yeah, still much more than what you paid for the FT stick.

What are the rest of the details on the combo?

I'd just run Delvac 1 5w-40 if you can get it. An HDEO is a good choice for FT rigs with higher levels of AW additives, yet readily available.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I'd just run Delvac 1 5w-40 if you can get it. An HDEO is a good choice for FT rigs with higher levels of AW additives, yet readily available.

.030 over with Icon forged pistons 9.7:1, stock crank .010/.010, N351 iron heads unported 2.02/1.60 valves. I haven't decided on the intake and carb yet.

Sounds like a nice ride. Pics please. I've a couple 1970's t-birds. My favorite was my 1977. Bought it from a guy cheap. It had a 351M with a Holley 650, headers with thrush mufflers. He had work done to the engine but he wasn't very knowledgeable of what was done. It was pretty quick for a large car and would burn the rear tires off with no problem. It was posi also.I miss that car.

Originally Posted By: ssregal39

.030 over with Icon forged pistons 9.7:1, stock crank .010/.010, N351 iron heads unported 2.02/1.60 valves. I haven't decided on the intake and carb yet.

FMS irons eh? Did you buy them complete or are you setting them up yourself? Looks like peak flow is at .600, so your lift selection makes sense.

I have a built 302 sitting in my garage with some pretty hogged out GT40's, custom CI cam, Weiand X-Celerator, and a Holley HP750 on it. My buddy is buying it from me and putting the parts on his '85 mill. I have a pretty decent amount of experience with the SBF family.

What cam are you running? Do they recommend an intake or intakes to use with it?

This is my Grandmothers old car. She took a dirt nap 12 years ago and nobody wanted the car so they put it in storage until I took it a year ago. I figured I'd hotrod it a little.
Cam is a Howards 220991-08 but ground on a 112 instead of 108. No intake recommendations.

Last edited:
We do hundreds of performance builds here,The Valvoline VR is a great choice, We sell alot of Brad Penn (Now Penn Grade) for the flat tappet customers, never a problem with a customer. 110 pounds on the seat is a good number. Gregg

That is going to be a TOTAL sleeper, LOL! You keeping the old hubcaps and everything on it?

I just may keep the hubcaps (kinda want some magnum 500s) and yes SLEEPER is the key here. Quiet mufflers too.

Originally Posted By: ShotGun429
We do hundreds of performance builds here,The Valvoline VR is a great choice, We sell alot of Brad Penn (Now Penn Grade) for the flat tappet customers, never a problem with a customer. 110 pounds on the seat is a good number. Gregg

Cool.

I'd probably look at the Weiand Stealth for this setup FWIW.

I think I agree. Or the RPM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back