Fuel injector cleaner that will run the engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. I'm about to buy that OTC 7448 tool that hooks inline to your injectors and cleans them while the engine runs. I know their brand cleaner will run the engine, but it's way too expensive to justify buying that for all the vehicles I service. What would be a good cleaner that would actually burn well enough to run in the engine? I know Seafoam won't work, and I've lost stock in them anyway. I'm thinking of getting a gallon of brake clean, but have no idea what kind of havoc that extremely harsh solvent would play on the injectors or if the engine would actually run on it. Basically if I can't walk into an auto parts store and buy it off the shelf without having to wait on it to be delivered, I'm not interested.

I also used a BG product when I did this years ago.

I think 3M also makes one.

O'Reillys might also carry BVD? behind the counter. You'll have to ask for it.

Originally Posted By: Red00Jetta
Hi all. I'm about to buy that OTC 7448 tool that hooks inline to your injectors and cleans them while the engine runs. I know their brand cleaner will run the engine, but it's way too expensive to justify buying that for all the vehicles I service. What would be a good cleaner that would actually burn well enough to run in the engine? I know Seafoam won't work, and I've lost stock in them anyway. I'm thinking of getting a gallon of brake clean, but have no idea what kind of havoc that extremely harsh solvent would play on the injectors or if the engine would actually run on it. Basically if I can't walk into an auto parts store and buy it off the shelf without having to wait on it to be delivered, I'm not interested.

Okay sure... You are "thinking" of buying the brake cleaner but at the very same time you call it an "extremely harsh solvent".... Then you want to add acetone...

If it were me I would not use anything that is not expressly marketed for the job at hand. Especially when apparently you know little to nothing about chemistry, and how various solvents affect elastomers in engines.

How is it that you even know the injectors need cleaning? But if you do then use something that is designed for them not a home brew.

No need to be a [censored] about it. Maybe I don't have the money to buy that expensive cleaner. Ever think of that Mr BMW? Maybe I don't know chemistry, but the next time you fly think of me. Because I [censored] sure know that Boeing you're sitting in inside and out.

You're buying the OTC tool but balk at the proper cleaner?

And I know a lot about airliners too, at least from a maintenance standpoint. But that helps very little when it comes to fuel injector cleaners.

Just how do you know they need cleaning anyway?

No need to be a [censored] about it. Maybe I don't have the money to buy that expensive cleaner. Ever think of that Mr BMW? Maybe I don't know chemistry, but the next time you fly think of me. Because I [censored] sure know that Boeing you're sitting in inside and out.

Because the car has 188k on it, it has a stumble and unlike 99% of the idiots out there who sling parts I go through diagnostic procedures. You don't know me, nor anything whatsoever about me, yet come straight out and insult my intelligence. So don't talk down to me boy. I merely had a question about whether or not it would run on it and not eat the injectors or destroy them. Why? Because when I'm not working on airliners I perform charity work on elderly people's vehicles, who most certainly don't have the money to be buying this stuff. And I don't have the money either. This is not the first time I've had a question and some I-know-more-than-you snob [censored] has come along and smarted off. I'm totally done with this [censored] forum. All you idiots seem to know is theory and have your heads too far up your [censored] to consider real world applications.

Maybe the injector is dying. Are you sure it's the injectors causing the stumble and not something else? I suppose the E85 would be a good solvent. Not sure it wouldn't ruin things on a car not meant for it, though. Maybe if just for a few minutes? Who knows...

These comebacks are so bad, it makes me think I'm missing something.

You don't have the money for the expensive cleaner to use in some stand-alone contraption you bought? The question stands: why do you think you need this form of injector cleaning over, say, a bottle of Techron every year or so, when it's on sale?

You think the guy giving you a hard time is up on his high horse, driving a 1994 BMW? At some point, even BMWs depreciate to the point of losing their status as a rich man's vehicle, wouldn't you agree?

Again, if you're not going to use the recommended cleaner, why would you trust a bunch of interwebbers to tell you what to use? Just as you telling us that you know Boeing airplanes (are you a hobbyist, a leading engineer on the design team, we'll never know) we could very easily lead you to believe we know what we're talking about with respect to an alternative cleaner to be used, and that might result in something unpleasant if it turns out of be untrue.

Because the car has 188k on it, it has a stumble and unlike 99% of the idiots out there who sling parts I go through diagnostic procedures. You don't know me, nor anything whatsoever about me, yet come straight out and insult my intelligence. So don't talk down to me boy. I merely had a question about whether or not it would run on it and not eat the injectors or destroy them. Why? Because when I'm not working on airliners I perform charity work on elderly people's vehicles, who most certainly don't have the money to be buying this stuff. And I don't have the money either. This is not the first time I've had a question and some I-know-more-than-you snob [censored] has come along and smarted off. I'm totally done with this [censored] forum. All you idiots seem to know is theory and have your heads too far up your [censored] to consider real world applications.

If you are doing charity work on elderly people's cars why not ask them to pay for the proper cleaner while you do the service for free?

I'm sure you're not paying for their gasoline. If they decline payment, then don't perform the service.

The problem is that the only way to properly diagnose an issue with fuel injectors (and not be a 99% idiot) is to remove them and then test the spray pattern and flow rate. Otherwise I'm still not sure how you are determining that you're having ongoing issues with injectors. Just because a car has 188,000 miles on it and has a stumble issue doesn't mean the fuel injectors are the problem.

And your off the chart rant has nothing to do with my response. You were offended because I questioned your chemistry knowledge. But brake cleaner and acetone are not appropriate fuel injector cleaners. Brake cleaner may or may not be chlorinated, it may or may not be combustible, and if chlorinated I wouldn't want to breathe the combustion by-products (not to mention what it might do to the catalytic converter). Acetone is a fairly aggressive solvent when it comes to elastomers and seals and could lead to a leaking fuel system. That's the last thing I would want on either my car or especially an elderly person's.

I'll stand by my comments that if you are going to do this then use a product that is designed and marketed for the procedure.

Entertaining.

Don't buy that tool. Run a full tank of the Gumout All in One (treats up to 35 gallons, so it will be a heavy dose) and see if that helps. If not, run the big techron or redline SI-1 in the next tank.

I'd much rather throw $15 of PEA cleaners in a car than muck around with fuel line systems, etc.

Also, try not to be offended and offend so easily. Its the internet after all.

Doesn't brake cleaner turn HIGHLY TOXIC when burned?
(Or, will the car's catcon render those toxins harmless)??
21.gif

LOL....good bye!

Looks like REDNEKJETTA was looking for a confrontation instead of good advice.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Looks like REDNEKJETTA was looking for a confrontation instead of good advice.
grin2.gif

Wow, it sure does.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back