Another dealer oil change story

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually DIY oil changes in my cars. My Pilot has been out-of-town with another family member recently. I was visiting said family member when the MM came on saying the car needed an oil change . In this car, I ignore the MM and follow 6 mth/5K mile intervals. I've been busy with other stuff and totally forgot to do an OCI before letting him use the car. Long story short, family member said no worries, he'll just go to the local Honda dealer. Checked the dipstick the day after and it read well above the high mark (probably like a half quart). Half quart over shouldn't do any damage but it's still upsetting to see this. Don't shops use those oil dispensers with a digital gauge on them showing how much oil is coming out? Is reading numbers that difficult?

Just wanted to share this and add it to the other 10,000 threads about dealer oil changes.

Imagine the total amount of wasted oil overfilling crankcases in north america each year?

if you have an extractor you could siphon it off and save it for top ups later.

The guy at the dealer might assume that many vehicles take the same amount of oil, so they don't bother to check levels after the oil change is done.

I witnessed many people put 4.5 quarts into a GM OHV 3.5 because they were used to most other GM v6 engines which used 4.5 quarts. a GM 3.5 OHV takes 4 quarts.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Imagine the total amount of wasted oil overfilling crankcases in north america each year?

Or ignoring the MM and doing 5K OCI.... (j/k)

Consider yourself lucky. We had a 40,000 mile service agreement with the Lincoln. It came home a qt low Everytime. I just added a qt. I got sick of complaining about it and getting the run around. They even asked me if I was sure I was checking the right dip stick.

How can you explain the inordinate number of dealership goofs? I assume they hire mentally deficient people who'll work for little money.
Or, of the people they have, they put the "stupidest ones" on oil change duty.

Ohh, that's not to mention the truly belligerent ones...wait...aren't all employees at a dealership belligerent retards? Kira

ps "retards" was an acceptable, polite term for a retarded person before we all got so haughty in our lingo.

Half a quart over is inconsequential. Ignoring the MM is a waste.

I don't see this as a dealer mistake. I see this as receiving half a quart more oil than you paid for.

Another bash the dealer thread.......

Yawn........

When others come one here and screw up (and ask for help) they get a pass. Not dealers. Yea-they are human too and make mistakes.

Last edited:
Last week, we got my girlfriends Corolla back from Toyota with a strong smell of gas inside the car...went away after 2 days but still..
She drove it home and said that the car had a different noise, she thought it was the exhaust. I drove it and instantly recognized it as an induction noise. Looked under the hood to find an air box held shut with only one of two clips. That's all it took to make it sound like it had a LOUD K&N fitted.

Its sad that we have to be ready for this [censored] these days...

Most drivers never open the hood and check the oil level between ocis, so I am not sure the half quart overfill is such a bad thing - a hedge against usual consumption.

The digital pump that pumps the oil into the car doesn't matter, because you can put in 5 quarts into a car that calls for 5 quarts and it can still take another quart to bring it up to the F line.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

I don't see this as a dealer mistake. I see this as receiving half a quart more oil than you paid for.

Downside is carbon on the intake valves if you have direct injection. The crank will vaporize an overfill and that oil goes through the pvc into your engine.

I had a bad experience 2 yrs ago at a honda dealer in Mn.I gave them a black wix and they put on a [censored] honda filter and also overfilled the crankcase.The oil went down also pretty quick and Im sure he didn't use the GET syn I gave him. Man did I let the manager have it! When I got it changed 6 months later the tech that I go to had a tough time trying to get the filter off .. I was so [censored]!!!!!

Originally Posted By: redbone3

Downside is carbon on the intake valves if you have direct injection. The crank will vaporize an overfill and that oil goes through the pvc into your engine.

Counter-argument: the OP doesn't rally-cross his Pilot, so the oil, at ONLY half a quart over, always stays well away from the crank. Additionally, the added capacity lowers overall oil temps, resulting in less overall oil vapor.

I don't think a dealer makes much on an oil change so they are usually rushed to get the car in and out. They most likely don't drain all the old oil out before refilling with new stuff.

Thats how I read it...

Originally Posted By: redbone3

Counter-argument: the OP doesn't rally-cross his Pilot, so the oil, at ONLY half a quart over, always stays well away from the crank. Additionally, the added capacity lowers overall oil temps, resulting in less overall oil vapor.

Many cars with direct injection have big time expensive problems with carbon build up on the intake valves. Euro manufacturers even recommend special low ash oil to reduce it. So, I still think overfilling the crankcase could easily result in oil being blown into the intake manifold and ending up on the intake valves. If you do not have direct injection, it's not a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back