7200 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: Yup
Dave, reminds me of a Sears riding lawnmower when I was a kid. It was 32 years old and still purred like a kitten. No oil filter on the engine, did a "tune up" once a year (oil change, air filter foam wash, put back in coated in a little oil). We'd throw whatever oil we had into it, usually 5W30 or 10W30 even though it called for straight 30. Never used a drop. Used it to mow 4 acres once or twice per week from May 1st - October 1st. How could it possibly last that long without the oil being filtered at 99% efficiency @ 20 microns??????????

Just like the cars are scrapped before the engine fails on a nothing but quick oil change filters.

BAZINGA! Haven't you seen all the cars dead on the side of the road due to poor oil filter selection?

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
I'm with crazyoildude here. Sounds like you have easy access to NAPA so why not spend the extra $5 and use a NAPA Gold. I'm sure most here would agree it will go 7500 miles.

Why would I do that when I had a supply of QS for $1.99? Now I can't find them any more (don't live near a Menard's any more) so I went back to Honda OEM. They are $5.15. Still cheaper than a NAPA, FRAM, etc. etc. etc. I believe I've read on here that OEM filters (for Honda???) are about flow over filtration? So...if it's good enough for Honda, why would I get roped into a huge upgrade?

Originally Posted By: Kira
Yup said, "How could it possibly last that long without the oil being filtered at 99% efficiency @ 20 microns??????????"

By being well overbuilt in the first place.

I'm all for anything funny but a "you don't really need to filter your oil" thread? New ground for BITOG.

I don't think I said I don't need a filter. Just an example of a lawn mower that got used hard and hardly taken care of. I take way better care of my car. I just use cheap, albeit "meets OEM specs", filters. Why would I spend as much or more on a filter as I did on the $8.16 SuperTech oil I just bought? Or almost as much as the $15 NAPA syn I just bought? I'd question a no name filter. But something with a QS, NAPA, FRAM, PUROLATOR, BOSCH, Motorcraft, AC Delco, etc...if it's cheap, it'll be fine.

I take way better care of my car. I just use cheap, albeit "meets OEM specs", filters. Why would I spend as much or more on a filter as I did on the $8.16 SuperTech oil I just bought? Or almost as much as the $15 NAPA syn I just bought? I'd question a no name filter. But something with a QS, NAPA, FRAM, PUROLATOR, BOSCH, Motorcraft, AC Delco, etc...if it's cheap, it'll be fine.

I'm with you here ,Yup.
Somehow lower priced goods(that meets specs and requirements) are associated with inferior/sub-standard quality and/or detrimental application here....
sick.gif

Originally Posted By: zeng
I take way better care of my car. I just use cheap, albeit "meets OEM specs", filters. Why would I spend as much or more on a filter as I did on the $8.16 SuperTech oil I just bought? Or almost as much as the $15 NAPA syn I just bought? I'd question a no name filter. But something with a QS, NAPA, FRAM, PUROLATOR, BOSCH, Motorcraft, AC Delco, etc...if it's cheap, it'll be fine.

I'm with you here ,Yup.
Somehow lower priced goods(that meets specs and requirements) are associated with inferior/sub-standard quality and/or detrimental application here....
sick.gif

It's humorous that many of the same "if it's API certified oil it's fine" people cringe at using a "meets or exceeds OEM requirements" filter for less than or equal to an OEM distance. The silliness.

The issues I've had with the QS filters was not the media tearing, but the ADBV getting brittle and hard after 3-5k. The one I took off of my sister's Vue V6 was hard and there was hardly any oil left in the filter when I cut it open.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
The issues I've had with the QS filters was not the media tearing, but the ADBV getting brittle and hard after 3-5k. The one I took off of my sister's Vue V6 was hard and there was hardly any oil left in the filter when I cut it open.

I'm not too worried. Oil pressure and pump start throwing oil quickly. A few ounces missing in the filter won't kill it. Especially since my filter is angled downward a bit.

Classic is supposed to be for factory interval so that used be 15,000 miles on a Honda 4 cylinder. 7,500 miles on a Chevy V8.

QS oil filters are not the same as Purolator Classic.

Purolator posted Classic media was cellulose and 97.5% efficient @ 20 microns, and suitable for either 3K miles OR OEM interval.

Shell publishes QS, Pennzoil, & Performax filters are synthetic blend and 95% efficient @ 20 microns and suitable for OEM interval. Manufactured by Purolator to Shell specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back