I bought a Stihl weed trimmer, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a 4-stroke Yard Machines trimmer that was great for 14 years until it broke the flywheel and trimmer shaft attachment. I bought a Stihl FS 50 C-E which has a long shaft for taller users that want a curved shaft. I find it easier to do more precise sidewalk and driveway edging with a curved shaft. Bought it at Rural King. The warranty was doubled as I bought a six pack of Stihl HP Ultra 2-cycle oil. This trimmer has the same displacement but a little more rated power than the other two curved shaft trimmers Stihl offers. It starts up and runs great, but I preferred my old 4-stroke trimmer more. My old 4-stroke trimmer shook and vibrated more, but this Stihl trimmer while appearing to run smoother, produces a tingling vibration that starts wearing at me after using it for a few minutes. Never had that issue with my 4-stroke. I'm going to try wearing leather motorcycle gloves and see if that helps.
I only bought this Stihl as I'm tall and they offer a curved shaft model for such people. Otherwise, I would have bought a 4-stroke Troy-Bilt at Lowes with a curved shaft.

ezj4no.jpg

Stihl (and probably husky, echo, etc.) sell anti-vibration gloves, which are aimed at chainsaw users. They work very well, although they are a little spendy.

I have found stihl to be the worst built for vibration and Tanaka the absolute best I feel your pain get use to it found nothing to make it better me I get rid of it.

Is their some kind of engine mounting isolation system? Maybe its over tightened or something?
Stihl was infamous for keeping its rubber chainsaw handle mounts in their pro saws when husky went with metal springs for less vibes. I've got an old FS85 brush cutter with bike bars and its a bit tingly too... Maybe its a Stihl thing.

Originally Posted By: dave123
I have found stihl to be the worst built for vibration and Tanaka the absolute best I feel your pain get use to it found nothing to make it better me I get rid of it.
Does that Tanaka have an air bag?

It also needs to break on a bit, run a few tanks through it and it will improve as well.

I have an fs55r and its been a great trimmer, father in law before me had it for 6 years, still runs like new

All this sounds like I'd better keep my old pre-smog 2-cycle Echo running as long as possible. It's powerful, no vibration and easy to handle.

Vibration is the exact reason I did not buy one, and instead bought a curved shaft Echo. Put an Echo Speed Feed Head for curved shafts on it available from Home Depot for $20. I now have a light and powerful combination, and my hands are not shaking when I am done. When I bought my Echo, the motors were still made in Japan, but they were assembled in China.

I sold an almost new Stihl stick edger several years ago for that very reason. Went back to Echo.

Seems to be a problem with Stihl spend that much I expect more mine was a FS 55 best thing ever happened was it died really opened my eyes up to better equipment for same or less money.

My FS-55R is in the shop, mine. It's at least 12 years old. Part of my parts list is a new muffler, $27 shipped on fleabay.

Anyway, I think there is life left in it. I'm a Stihl guy for most things, chainsaws and weed whippers, etc...

So are there better weed whippers than Stihl?? Some jest there, we all have favorites. If it does come down to me buying new, what's worthy of consideration.

If you like your 55r they have the 56r as well, very similar, bit more power and weighs less.

If you want more power? The 94r gets awesome reviews as well, light weight and tons of power.

I'll look into them. I do think mine still has some life left in it. I was also looking into a 4-stroke Hona.

I don’t know when you bought it but most Stihl dealers are really good about making sure the customer is pleased. The dealer experience is actually part of the allure. Maybe they will let you exchange it towards one with the Anti-Vibration System. I am sensitive to vibration as well and have never been anything but pleased with my Stihl OPE equipped with the Anti-Vib.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back