Can using TC-W3 lower octane and cause issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You remember what high octane means right? Means it's harder to self detonate

Unless the additive was something delivered to you by the bomb squad because its super volatile they all are going to raise octane very slightly or have no effect. Very slightly is like 91 to 91.2 using a whole bottle (advertised as 2 points on the bottle).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: beanoil
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
I was told clearly that the 2 stroke oil lowers octane.

Not at 1 ounce in 5 gallons.

yeah I agree.

Exactly, if it does lower it I'd like to see someone able to measure the reduction at that rate.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Exactly, if it does lower it I'd like to see someone able to measure the reduction at that rate.

Sweet thanks guys , here goes nuthin.

I use it in plenty of high-compression engines, and have recorded no additional incidences of pre-ignition events, reductions in timing, or performance. Put it in, and stop worrying.
thumbsup2.gif

A data point of 1.

I have a turbocharged, high boost 4 cylinder car with a stand alone engine management system. I record knock events.

When I was running a variable vane turbo, I would add plenty of synthetic two stroke oil (about 100 to 1) in an attempt at unsticking the carboned up variable vanes. It did work, by the way. I'd drive to work at low power and enough oil would coat the vanes to unstick them.

I never noticed any additional knock events, once the vanes free'd up. Generally about 4 knock events per pull.

Reactions: a5m
nice data point Cujet.

by definition, it must lower the octane rating...but again, what's measurable to the average punter is limited to onset of knock events, not a research engine with the ability to blend ISO-octane and N-Heptane at 0.1 increments ?

Originally Posted By: Cujet
A data point of 1.

I have a turbocharged, high boost 4 cylinder car with a stand alone engine management system. I record knock events.

When I was running a variable vane turbo, I would add plenty of synthetic two stroke oil (about 100 to 1) in an attempt at unsticking the carboned up variable vanes. It did work, by the way. I'd drive to work at low power and enough oil would coat the vanes to unstick them.

I never noticed any additional knock events, once the vanes free'd up. Generally about 4 knock events per pull.

Thank you, very interesting read. And it seems according to reading elsewhere that it is a very nice lubricant which makes sense of course.

Tc-w3 flash point is a important thing? How is better, low or high flash point? or no matter?

I buy one bootle of Castrol Outboard 2T (mineral low flash), and another one of Total Neptuna Bio-jet 2T (synthetic with very high flash). I think my car run better with Castrol Mineral low flash, is it possible flash point made diference?

Originally Posted By: sportuga
is it possible flash point made diference?

I've wonderded this too. The butt dyno can be misleading yet it makes sense. However, I've logged some of the best results when using walmart tc-w3, I have no clue the specs but I know the end results.

I think the mineral oil or semisynthetic with low flash point is the best tc-w3 choice, but I cold be wrong.

In Europe unfortunately we can't buy Walmart brand products, but it is a mineral low flash point oil, and people get best results with him.

Motul have a 2T oil JASO-FD that he claim to be safe for catalysts, better or worse than the tc-w3 stuff?

Is the Motul 510 - 710 line.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
A data point of 1.

I wonder if Mobil 1 Racing 2t could be added at 1oz per 5gal without hurting anything. It's not ashless, but low ash. I have so much of the stuff that I'd like to use it as an additive for my vehicles if it won't be a problem.

I think the effect would be similar to a car that burns a little oil. I also try to find uses for extra stock like that. I have a few quarts left of Amsoil 100:1 2 cycle mix that I occasionally add to stuff. It gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling doing things to reduce wear in my engines, but if I'm really honest with myself I'll probably never run the car long enough for that tiny reduction in wear to matter. The downside can be increased carbon production, but from what I've read combustion chamber deposits reach an equilibrium and will not continue to grow unchecked.

This tinkering is what gave us the industrial age and the moon missions, instead of all of humanity continuing to sit in the dirt and throwing spears at food. I say enjoy your experiments, visualize less metal particles being ground from the engine, and sleep like a baby knowing you are taking better care of your machinery than the average plod.
19.gif

My illness is I find myself looking forward to the next oil change, even though it costs me money and the engine is a little more worn out. Totally illogical I know.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back