radiator hose install, 08 Matrix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had some "fun" yesterday installing 2 radiator hoses in my wife's 08 Matrix.

Factory hoses were very soft, and we are getting into the hot weather down here, so it was time to replace.

Purchased goodyear upper and lower hoses. Seems like a simple job, I'm no mechanic but it looked simple.

Purchased a cable operated hose clamp pliars. Well worth buying, job would have been impossible for me without them.

Got both hoses off without much incident, however spring loaded OEM clamps could not be reused. Could not get the clamps to slide over the neck of the radiator for anything!

Used some rubber safe lube, everything.

Ended up using standard worm type clamps for all the connections. Read many stories about how people crack the necks of the plastic radiator by over torquing the clamp. I was very careful and did not over torque the clamps, and made sure they were straight before tightening them down carefully.

Refilled with Valvoline coolant for Asian Vehicles (as recommended on here). Works great no leaks.

I also bought two new heater hoses but I was too darn tired of looking at the car, so they will wait for another weekend.

Sometimes the spring clamps leak after reinstall anyway - I put on traditional clamps every time.

I've found that sometimes the aftermarket hoses are thicker than the OEM hoses. The OEM spring clamps won't work on the new hoses. There are aftermarket spring clamps available. I used some on my Cruze with good results.

That's a problem with some aftermarket hoses, they are too thick. Worm drive are the worst ting you can use, in cold weather they leak and the raised part inside puts stress on the joint in one place if you tighten them.
Use constant tension worm clamps if you cant use the spring clamps, they have no riser inside. Gates hoses are pretty true to size and the OE clamps usually fit fine.
Gates also make a heat shrink clamp that works well.

Don't use the hose clamps on the shelf at the parts store. They're junk.

Better to use the ones they sell behind the counter in a big box to the mechanics, they're cheaper too.

Ran into the same issues with my daughter's 2003 Corolla last summer when I had to swap the radiator. The Vibe/Matrix are essentially a Corolla hatch, so I can imagine your joy in doing the job.

While the worm clamps may not be the best solution, you can check them periodically.

Just keep an eye on them and the coolant level for the next few weeks and check them when you are under the hood and sleep well.

You first put the spring clamp over the radiator hose neck, then push the hose on. Then, you only have to expand the clamp enough to go over the hose, not the barb.

That's only if you run into this type of issue.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
You first put the spring clamp over the radiator hose neck, then push the hose on. Then, you only have to expand the clamp enough to go over the hose, not the barb.

Bingo.

Screw clamps should never be used. It might not crack now, but the stress from all those hot/cold cycles could fatigue the radiator neck if it's plastic.

Spring clamps usually don't wear out, but on older hoses if you don't put the spring clamps on exactly where they were, you may get seepage. The reason is because of old hoses that have permanent deformation around where the clamps hold.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Got both hoses off without much incident, however spring loaded OEM clamps could not be reused. Could not get the clamps to slide over the neck of the radiator for anything!

I can't figure that part out. Were the pliers not expanding the clamps all the way ?

What brand of cable operated pliers were they ?

On the pliers I've used, they have two sets of jaws that squeeze the clamps. Each set of jaws covers a different range of clamp diameters. If one side didn't open the clamp far enough, I'd flip it over and use the other side.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

I can't figure that part out. Were the pliers not expanding the clamps all the way ?

What brand of cable operated pliers were they ?

On the pliers I've used, they have two sets of jaws that squeeze the clamps. Each set of jaws covers a different range of clamp diameters. If one side didn't open the clamp far enough, I'd flip it over and use the other side.

Jaws were clamped all the way. Clamp was open all the way, the goodyear hose was bigger than the OEM hose by a little bit.

Brand of pliars is Autocraft, the advance auto parts house brand. Had to buy it in a "pinch" so to speak.

Find it funny that the two different parts stores I called did not carry constant torque clamps. Doing work on memorial weekend, I guess you get what you get.

System has burped all the air out of it, added a little more coolant, everything looks good no leaks.

Not a fun job.

I recently had the same problem with my Subaru using gates radiator hoses. I ended up buying 4 constant tension hose clamps from Napa for $28, but no more aftermarket radiator hoses for me I think.

+1 that works most of the time. There are a few that have a hard enough time with the OE hoses.

Brand of pliars is Autocraft, the advance auto parts house brand. Had to buy it in a "pinch" so to speak.

Just as I suspected.

Originally Posted By: Trav

+1 that works most of the time. There are a few that have a hard enough time with the OE hoses.

Plus, I should probably have bought hose clamp pliers a long time ago. I have always done these tasks with slip-joint or channel-lock pliers. Not ideal, I know, but I've managed.

Hey at least you got them now. Every mechanic I ever knew needed something they didn't have and should have bought a long time ago.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Hey at least you got them now. Every mechanic I ever knew needed something they didn't have and should have bought a long time ago.

Actually, I don't have them...yet. I have been doing good work on cars for over 35 years and, yet, never knew there was such a thing as hose clamp pliers. It's on the shopping list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back