Do I need a better tire for PNW trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting in the middle of July, my wife and I are going to be road tripping our way to and through the PNW. We plan on tent camping and some touristy riding as well. Portland for sure, parks, etc. We plan on some Pacific Crest Trail time- whether on foot or cycle is up in the air.

I am currently riding on Gatorskins in 700x25 but am wondering if something like a Panaracer in 700x28 would be better? What do you folks think?

I've spent some time (on foot) on sections of the PCT between hwy 22 and hwy 58. there is a lot of loose sand, scree, mud and maybe even some snow left around (even in July although it's finally starting to warm up around here). Seems like the gatorskin is more of a pavement type tire that would struggle on the rough terrain of the Cascades. I would think the wider tire with some tread would be better for your ride

I'd even go to 700 by 32, that should eat up whatever road surfaces you encounter. 25 is more of a racing tire, you are touring.

I don't know if they'll fit in your frames but have a look at the Surly Knard in 700cx41mm. That's what I'd use.

I'm not sure that 41's would fit... I think the biggest factor would be my rim width? What is the minimum rim width for a 32?

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Starting in the middle of July, my wife and I are going to be road tripping our way to and through the PNW. We plan on tent camping and some touristy riding as well. Portland for sure, parks, etc. We plan on some Pacific Crest Trail time- whether on foot or cycle is up in the air.

I am currently riding on Gatorskins in 700x25 but am wondering if something like a Panaracer in 700x28 would be better? What do you folks think?

It depends of the frame and/or brakes can clear larger tires. It if can, then the next question to figure out the max size.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Does anyone make NON-tubular (cyclo)cross tires??

Yes. Most companies offer clincher cyclocross tires, ie COntinential, Vittoria, Specialized, etc.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
I'm not sure that 41's would fit... I think the biggest factor would be my rim width? What is the minimum rim width for a 32?

I searched some with Google and one site said 1.8 times the rim size is what the tire width should be.
You might want to treat yourselves to a separate set of wheels for the 32mm tires.

Last edited:

Yes - and many times with the same tread pattern as a tubular. I really loved the Clement Crusade PDX when I did a few 'cross races. Too bad they were short-lived on pavement, I liked having the bike equivalent to an all-terrain truck/SUV tire.

You can also use a "touring" tire like a Vittoria Randonneur or Conti Touring Plus or TopContact.

I used to commute on Continental Contact tires in 700x35'ish. They were reasonably fast, comfortable and could handle any terrain short of single tracks, if the rider was able.

I have also put a lot of miles on conti TourRide tires in 700x42. A bit slower on pavement, especially if you are coming from a road tire like 700x23... but they can handle any terrain out there. From Commuting on road to single track in the hills of Kentucky.

Right now I use Conti Grand Prix 4 Seasons on my touring bike for commuting (occasional as it is) about 15 miles each way through some sketchy industrial roads. They are fast, they are comfy and they have only flatted once due to a pinch flat on a pot hole. Super tire, even with my 260lbs rider weight PLUS commuting gear.

Originally Posted By: nthach

Yes - and many times with the same tread pattern as a tubular. I really loved the Clement Crusade PDX when I did a few 'cross races. Too bad they were short-lived on pavement, I liked having the bike equivalent to an all-terrain truck/SUV tire.

You can also use a "touring" tire like a Vittoria Randonneur or Conti Touring Plus or TopContact.

I figured that many companies did, but not sure since the last times I rode in cross races, WAY BACK in the early '70s, there were ONLY tubulars available.

At that time, there were only tubulars available for ANY serious road riding/racing as well.

Well I thought I'd post an update- first, thank you all for your input!

While out to dinner the other night, my wife and I were discussing the various aspects of camping and touring out west. She had mentioned that she read about a couple who had their bikes stolen from their camp sight in spite of the fact that they were chained to their vehicle... Well that got us to think- we while we do plan to ride some some, the bikes would spend the majority of their time on the rack or at the camp site, making them a rather large liability since we can't monitor them 24/7.

So we elected to leave them at home and just hoof it everywhere, or take our SUV.

I am still considering mounting some slightly larger tires though for daily riding- I really like the idea of some 28's... They shouldn't really be any slower should they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back