Lengthy question for the seasoned oil gurus

Status
Not open for further replies.
So pretty much everything I own has a motor on it. I'm constantly changing oil in something. I try to use the best quality oil for all my engines since I feel quality oil is cheap insurance. I own a landscape company in GA and it gets pretty hot in the summer. As of now, all my equipment has quality synthetic oil in the manufactures viscosity. After reading tons of old posts, my head is spinning. Here is a list of most of my equipment and what I run in it now. Can you guys help simplify my oil change routine or see somewhere I can better myself with a different oil?? I'll
List my vehicles and equipment as follows;

Commercial exmark mowers with kawi engines -syn 5w-30
Commercial exmark mower with Kohler engines- syn 5w30
Commercial Honda pressure washer- syn 10w30
Commercial stihl 2 cycle weed eaters, blowers etc -stihl commercial oil and 93 octane fuel
Genetrac portable generator- new: has oil from manufacturer in it with less than 5 hours on it
2009 corvette z06- syn Castrol edge 5w-30 last oil change
2015 ford transit with turbo ecoboost engine-syn 5w30 Mobil 1 extended performance
2009 Infiniti G37- syn pennzoil platinum 0w30 last oil change.

I'm wondering if I should switch all the small engines over to rotella t6 5w40 to make things easier??
Switch the z06 and the infinit over to Mobil 1 0w40
I have to keep the transit on 5w30 since it's still under warranty but what brand oil?

Corvette has 16,000 miles
Infiniti has 60,000 miles
Transit has 5000 miles
Commercial equipment ranges from 50 hours to 900 Hours

And I haven't even started thinking about all the hydro fluid, rear end fluid etc that I have to keep track of lol

Last edited:
That would do it.

I'm not a Mobil fan boy. That's just me.

If you are going to buy bulk T-6 for the shop, check with your Shell Distributor and see what you can get in QSUD for the cars... As good as M-1 and it'll all bill through the shop account.

I always run my 2-strokes a tad heavy on oil. My moto is that no 2-stroke ever died from too much oil - ever. I used to work on outboards that tried 50:1 and 100:1 - that's why I worked on them.

Now I advise and counsel a bunch of tree guys who have fleets of stuff like you do, and we build saws for fun. They all get Motul-710 at 40:1. That's not cost effective for you, but maybe something similar ...

I've also had good luck with Poulan Synthetic 2-stroke (bulk) and Supertech TWC-3 50/50 at 40:1 for stock motors. Seems to keep rings free, not too much combustion chamber build-up after hundreds of hours operation.

BTW - the oldest saw we have is a Mercury powered Disston straddle-chain saw that was logging in the valley in the 1940's. We have many 1950's saws in the collection. The real old stuff runs 32:1 on modern oil. The 1960's to today's strato-charged all get 40:1
smile.gif

I feel for your task of keeping it all straight ... Just the filter inventory is nuts
frown.gif

Last edited:
Don't need the 5w in the 40 oil 15w-40 is the better choice as 15w is good to 17*f for starting according to the viscosity chart in my John Deere tractor manual. Less viscosity improvers as well. Castrol 5w-30 syn blend in the Ford Eco.

Everything with an oil pan that you need to empty the oil can be all changed to Mobil delvac le 5w-30 ! for two stroke . Sorry cant help you (2stroke are nice for racing but for making a living working ?find 4 stroke alternative

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you can just run a 5W-30 full synthetic in everything including the equipment and cars. I suggest Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1.

As long as your 2015 Transit is under warranty you can run 5W-30 PP/M1 in all your cars. As I read it, 5w-30 is the factory spec for all of them.

Your choice for the M1 lower Ca/High Mg oil or the High Ca/No Mg Pennzoil motor oils. The M1 tends to be a little higher viscosity at op temps than the PP (11.0 vs. 10.0). Once the Transit is out of warranty you could probably run 0w-40 or 0w-30's in all of them. M1 0w-40 is now an even thinner 40 grade, really only a strong 30 grade.

Mobil 1's $12 rebate for $5 gall jug ends today. You can buy 2 jugs at a net of $10.88 via Walmart. Pennzoil Plat $10 rebate is running all year long. You can buy up to 48 qts total.

Chevron Delo SD 15W30 in the Equipment.

Mobil 1 5W30 for the cars if you don't mind rebates.
Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W30 if you don't want to fool with rebates.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Don't need the 5w in the 40 oil 15w-40 is the better choice as 15w is good to 17*f for starting according to the viscosity chart in my John Deere tractor manual. Less viscosity improvers as well. Castrol 5w-30 syn blend in the Ford Eco.

There is no reason to avoid a 5w-40 simply because of the weather. There are certain reasons to choose a synthetic, and not simply because of a number peeled off of SAE J300. I'd be the first to say stick with a 10w-30 HDEO for many of the choices on his list. But, to say he should specifically avoid a synthetic HDEO because his weather won't justify it or VIs is a bit misguided.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I'd be the first to say stick with a 10w-30 HDEO for many of the choices on his list. But, to say he should specifically avoid a synthetic HDEO because his weather won't justify it or VIs is a bit misguided.

I will be the sercond to vote 10w-30 HD oil. My "HDEO" of choice is actually Mobil 1 10w-30 HM (check the specs). I run it in 4 of 5 vehicles I maintain. The other gets the 10w-40 of the same. You could do that, then put the 5w in the Transit. The 5w-30 M1 HM is not as robust as the 10w-30; the latter meets ACEA A3/B3 and the former does not.

I will also check out the PP 10w-30 HM that is new to the market and see what it's add pack is like; have not investigated it yet.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
M1 5w30 in everything. Done.

That sounds like a great option if you really want to keep it simple.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Rotella T6 5w40 in the outdoor equipment, Mobil 1 5w30 in the 3 cars.

This is a good option too, and I think either one would serve you well. As for me personally, I favor Mobil1 5w30 for the Honda powered OPE and T6 for the remaining OPE, but that is based on gut feeling and nothing more. These are both good options.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Rotella T6 5w40 in the outdoor equipment, Mobil 1 5w30 in the 3 cars.

This is the answer. The cars dont need a 40 weight unless you are running them on a road course race track.

The outdoor power equipment should be ran on a 40 weight, in the south. Kawasaki engines prefer the 40 weight. As to the pressure washer, it is ran at full load, all the time, so 5W40 is an ideal choice. Since you maintain your equipment and change the oil regularly, regular 15W40 would be fine. I dont really see any benefit running the 5W40 over 15W40. 5W40 would theoretically last longer before breakdown in neglected engines, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back