Use of SAE 40 motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Straight 40HD. OMG, do you pour it in or have to clump it in with a spoon?? This is all we used for years in Detroit Diesels which were exposed to way, way below zero. They had block heaters, but on a lot of them they only heated the coolant, not the oil. So it sat cold and dormant in oil pan. Seriously, this thin oil craze is out of hand.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Straight 40HD. OMG, do you pour it in or have to clump it in with a spoon?? This is all we used for years in Detroit Diesels which were exposed to way, way below zero. They had block heaters, but on a lot of them they only heated the coolant, not the oil. So it sat cold and dormant in oil pan. Seriously, this thin oil craze is out of hand.
I've heard/read stories about guys putting charcoal in a pan, lighting it, & sliding it underneath oil pans on DD 2 stroke diesels to get them warm enough to start in subzero weather! In hot weather, in a CR diesel, I can't see where a SAE 40 HDEO would hurt anything. At -20F, don't think it's going to start very well.

Originally Posted By: Atesz792
What's the coldest temp one should be comfortable with?
I mean for regular trouble free cold starts with SAE40.

From Shannow ..
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4088650/Re:_SAE_10_motor_oil?#Post4088650

I believe MB minimum is being very conservative at 20*C, it should be ok to go even lower.

Thanks, I follow that thread too.
I was thinking more about someone's experience, who regularly uses it.
Some SAE50 oils around here state that you can use them down to 15°C right on the bottle.
I find it interesting how the MB oil chart shows the exact same temp for both SAE 40 & 50 oils.

It's a little engine specific, depending on areas of bearing surfaces (bearing including piston skirts and the like), oil pump/pickup design and the like.

Here's some charts ripped from various papers showing how some different designs fare. (the Jeep 6 seems to be the worst in a lot of the papers that I've read).

cold%20start%20engine%20a.jpg

cold%20start%20engine%20c.jpg

I wouldn't recommend using SAE 40 much (if any) below freezing...I've used SAE30 down to -7 or 8 C no issues.

Op says that S. Africa wont get to freezing in winter. I still would use multigrade below 10C, like a 15w40 or 20w40.

I'm Ok with SAE 40 down to about -5C. The horror... I only had 8 liters left, so 3 liters of SAE50 went into the Duramax.
Using the Bolivian calculator, I'm sitting at 154@ 40C, 15.9@ 100C and HTHS @ 4.6 (not corrected to 150C).

SAE 40 has quite a large range, all the way from 12.5 to 16.3 @ 100C. The question should include which SAE 40 engine oil.
Some of the group II offerings have VI's around 110 and could be tweaked with a group III or an additive package that helps cold performance.
For me, Shannow's XW/HTHS works fine and quite often results in a lower KV100 for a target HTHS when I'm not chasing VI or cold performance.

Last edited:
I don't know. I have used straight 30 and 40 weight in some boat diesels and starting around 32 degrees F (0 degrees C) can be nasty if the oil is dead cold. Your starter motor will take a beating. Personally, I'd go with whatever the manual recommends.

Last edited:
Oil i am currently using is "Megatron" "part of Oasis group ,Torry Town New York" anyone have any experiance of this oil ?

"Megatron" oil? Sheesh, never heard of it. It is probably supposed to be Tarrytown, New York, but that is not typically a community I would associate with oil products.

Address states Oasis group ,120 White plain Road ,Suite 425 ,Torry Town ,New York 10591
We also use Shell and Chevron products as our mainstream providers .

We do go by the manual ,only using straight 40 on the old stuff .South Africa isnt very strict on Roadworthys and there is no emissions testing except on brand new cars .

Originally Posted By: Red91
With your climate and budget friendly customers, I'd say the SAE 40 would be the ideal shop oil for your situation.

+1

A good SAE single grade or mono grade is a very durable oil. Zero shear to worry about and with you mild temps, it's no problem at all
smile.gif

Last edited:
I was 1200 miles from home when the temperature dropped to -5C (20F) and leaving the next day. I should have plugged in the block heater. The engine cranked over OK, just a little slower than my pucker-point comfort zone. "Oh it doesn't like that, I thought. Depending on which SAE40, I would say +5C (40F) as a low limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back