Difference between silicone caulking ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
GE Kitchen and Bathroom Clear

GE Window and Door Clear

What's the difference ? They're both 100% silicone and they're both clear.

I know you guys will know; you guys know everything.
55.gif

Kitchen and Bath have an increased amount of mold and mildew inhibitors (7 yr mold guarantee). It is also not recommended for exterior use.

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy
Kitchen and Bath have an increased amount of mold and mildew inhibitors (7 yr mold guarantee). It is also not recommended for exterior use.

The GE rep explained to me that it's in the additives. The interior has additional mildew protection. The exterior protects against UV.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
The GE rep explained to me that it's in the additives. The interior has additional mildew protection. The exterior protects against UV.

So that means there's not enough room in the chemical equation for BOTH mildew and UV protection.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

So that means there's not enough room in the chemical equation for BOTH mildew and UV protection.
laugh.gif

It means that if they made one product that was good enough for both outdoor and kitchen & bath, you would only buy one tube from them. By making two products, they can get you to buy both.
02.gif

Originally Posted By: JayhawkRoy

That's about it. Don't ever plan on painting over it unless it specifically states it can be painted over. Paint will crawl off of it, fish-eye, flake and peel.

Do you plan to paint over either? Since it is silicone it won't stick.

I've had better luck using the following:

Interiors: DAP Alex Plus

Exteriors vertical: OSI Quad

Exterior floors: Sikaflex SL

Originally Posted By: Reddy45

I plan on using it at the bottom of the bathroom vanity where it meets the toe-kick. There's a gap there between the two and the bugs from underneath the house are coming up through there. I'm too embarrassed to tell you what kind of bugs they are. I got duct tape on there temporarily.

I plan on using it at the bottom of the bathroom vanity where it meets the toe-kick. There's a gap there between the two and the bugs from underneath the house are coming up through there. I'm too embarrassed to tell you what kind of bugs they are. I got duct tape on there temporarily.
Merk, you might want to pull up the vanity and seal around under there too. Even if you seal the, from coming out, they could build a nest underneath and crawl around under there, vanitys are hollow underneath.

It will work fine for that. As long as you don't have to paint it, it will be fine.

That's a bigger problem than any sort of caulking will fix. Do it right and get rid of the infestation in the first place. Since you have an infestation it tells you that something is seriously wrong; bugs don't live where they don't have food and water.

GE Kitchen and Bathroom Clear

GE Window and Door Clear

What's the difference ? They're both 100% silicone and they're both clear.

I know you guys will know; you guys know everything.
55.gif

My uncle is sales rep for various plumbing and hardware lines, and GE Silicone caulking is one of his lines.
I asked him about this today.

The main Difference, besides the mold/mildew inhibitors, is the Kitchen and Bath has less odor.

He also said the Difference between GE and the other brands is that the GE is still "100% Virgin Silicone", while the others have god knows what added in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back