The Top Dexos2 Oil Available in the USA is What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for the "best" Dexos2 oil to be had, here in the USA. Like everyone else, I can't define "best". For conversation sake, I'm looking for the oil you would want, if cost was not a factor.

I just bought a 2016 Chevy Colorado, rear drive pickup with the 2.8L DuraMax diesel engine. V M Motori based engine, from what I have read. Listed specs call for a 5W30 Dexos2 oil. Great engine, I got 30 - 31 mpg, on the first tank, straight out the gate, in a highway application. Cruising range should be around 600 miles with a 20 gallon tank. Tow rating of 7,500 lbs.

I have never owned a Chevy truck, but Ford's midsized Ranger is 3 years away. Will the EPA take small diesel truck engines away from us 3 years from now? Also will they offer a diesel engine that leapfrogs the Ram diesel and Chevy diesel? I could not sit and wait to find out. Will Toyota offer a diesel pickup - or just be fat, rich and happy? So I pulled the trigger now.

My default oil, is looking like it will be Pennzoil Euro L 5W30. On paper, this looks like a great oil: Flash pt 238C, Pour Pt -45, VI 174, HTHS 3.5 or 3.6., CCS 4300, MRV 14,500. I found a Shell distributor who will sell me a 6 gallon "Eco Box" that is the quick change places use for $153. Quarts available too. Questions:

1) If I ignore price, are there better options available? From what I understand Schaeffer Oil has a low SA oil
(# 8008), there is a Mobil Super 3000 XE 5W30 (local distributor will sell for $6/ qt). Both Dexos2 5W30
rated. There is an A C Delco Dexos2 that the dealerships sell, but information about it is shrouded in
mystery and secrecy.

2) How about Mobil 1 5W30 ESP? Would you use it here? It's a low diesel rated SA oil, with VW, Mercedes and
BMW approvals. Flash Pt 254F, HTHS 3.58, VI 164, SA of 0.6. No Dexos approvals.

I own a 2010 Fusion Hybrid that should have 200,000 miles on it next year. I hope to put at least 300,000 on this truck/engine (or drive it until the wheels fall off). What say you? Don't be shy Bitogers.

http://www.amazon.com/RAVENOL-J1A1531-SA..._23&sr=8-23 Excellent oil and a whole lot cheaper than what you are being quoted.

You have a OLM? Change it a 40~50% with this (cause it's cheap enough and it meets a ton of specs)
smile.gif

Your motor will last a long time
smile.gif

You need Low-SAPS oil bcs of DPF.
I use in BMW Mobil1 5W30 ESP and works great. I found in NAPA Valvoline 5W40 MST that meets BMW LL-04 for $4.99 for bottle, and will switch to that next OCI.
M1 worked flawlessly! Great cold performance and no burn at all.
Stick to oils that meet first and foremost Euro specs such as:
MB 229.51
BMW LL-04
VW 504.00/507.00
Porsche C30
Look oils that meet all these spec. together.
As for Pennzoil, that is great oil!

Last edited:
APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL European Car Formula 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil is engineered for use in gasoline or diesel vehicles that requires any of the following specifications:

API SN; SM…
ACEA C3
BMW LL-04
Mercedes Benz 229.51
Porsche C30
GM dexos 2™
Chrysler MS-11106
Manufacturer Approvals: VW 504.00, 507.00

Originally Posted By: Rat407
APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL European Car Formula 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil is engineered for use in gasoline or diesel vehicles that requires any of the following specifications:

API SN; SM…
ACEA C3
BMW LL-04
Mercedes Benz 229.51
Porsche C30
GM dexos 2™
Chrysler MS-11106
Manufacturer Approvals: VW 504.00, 507.00

Is it approved by GM for Dexos2? If not, do not forget he is under warranty.
Also, that oil is nothing special compare to Mobil1, Pennzoil etc. and doe snot carry manufacturer approvals.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
What about the free oil changes that come with the truck?

Go into a GM dealer, and the odds are pretty good they will change the oil with the same stuff they use in the larger Dmax... a 5w40 CJ-4 oil.

I had the VM engine that this Dmax is based on. I just used a CJ-4 oil. There are some real good 5w30 CJ-4 varieties on the market. Each has to make their own determination, but I wouldn't sweat too much about the dexos2 idea. CJ-4 is clearly made to meet EGR, SCR, DPF emissions requirements and over 1 million commercial trucks racking up over 100K miles a year are doing just fine on it. There really is nothing earth shaking about the 2.8L Dmax.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
The one I linked to above meets all those specs, is made in Germany and readily available with free shipping
smile.gif

Thanks for the link. However at $54 for a 5 liter jug, it isn't exactly cheap. Also, with a flash point of only 210C and a Pour Pt of 36C, I am wondering if it is mostly mineral based.

Some of the other synthetic Dexos2 oils list flash points of 230C and up. Pour Points a good bit colder than 36C.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
What about the free oil changes that come with the truck?

I got two free ones within the first 2 years or 24,000 miles. A third one may be added, as a result of a sales dispute. Why, how many did you come away with?

I must have read your story wrong. I thought you just bought a 2016 Colorado Diesel, and wondering which oil to use.
Don't you get free oil changes up to 24,000 miles or two years, which ever comes first?
In Canada, it's 40K km, or about 5 changes.

Is there anyone who knows if Mobil 1 5W30 ESP will functionally work as well as any of the Dexos2 rated suggestions for this vehicle? It has a SA of only 0.6. If not, what are the drawbacks (other than lack of Dexos2 certifications)?

Originally Posted By: Best F100
Is there anyone who knows if Mobil 1 5W30 ESP will functionally work as well as any of the Dexos2 rated suggestions for this vehicle? It has a SA of only 0.6. If not, what are the drawbacks (other than lack of Dexos2 certifications)?

I do not see any drawbacks. Low SA, very high flash point (254c), very good pour pint, HTHS of 3.58.
I personally think among Low-SAPS oils this one is the best. As far as I know, according to some people here VW 504.00/507.00 is most stringent spec among 5W30 oils when it comes to wear, and M1 5W30 ESP and Pennzoil PP Euro are meeting that spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back