Jeepers Creepers! (Jeep Patriot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you spend time trying competition it seriously pales in comparison. My experience is rental twice. I also got a Hyundai Tucson between and its vastly superior.

I think it's best asset going is price.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

Yes, price would be a factor: I'm guessing it would be between 12-14k..not too bad of a price...

Is that price for a brand new one? At that price point you can look past a lot of the shortcomings! I've had these as rentals, they get the job done. I do like the amount of room throughout the cabin and the utility offered by the form factor, it beats a small sedan for hauling bulky cargo and backseat passengers. I also like that it rides a bit higher than typical small cars.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Yes, price would be a factor: I'm guessing it would be between 12-14k..not too bad of a price...

Is that price for a brand new one? At that price point you can look past a lot of the shortcomings! I've had these as rentals, they get the job done. I do like the amount of room throughout the cabin and the utility offered by the form factor, it beats a small sedan for hauling bulky cargo and backseat passengers. I also like that it rides a bit higher than typical small cars.

Yep...I expect about the same discounts as they start finishing up these jeeps by the end of the year. Granted, this would be for one slightly above base level, but still! Thinking the higher end ones should still go for around 20ish grand themselves. If I get this one, we can save up for an even better car/truck/whatever with the savings....

New wagon/SUV for 12-14k? AWD too? Seems like a winner to me.
I don't even know if I'd bother driving the competition, if its 10k more but better, you don't need to know what you are "missing"... They all get you down the road in reasonable comfort.

Dave, like you say, there's better small "SUV" options out there in terms of fit, finish, ride, handling and fuel economy to name a few things, but IMO, this chassis has good stuff going for it. The 2.4L, 6spd auto and 4x4 system have been around for years and you don't hear of problems with them. There's tons of them on the road, so parts and info are plentiful.

I test drove a fairly basic Sport model in 2015 before buying my Forester. It would have been my second choice had I not been able to make a deal work for the Forester. My base model Forester (with a few options like aluminum wheels) cost me about $2000 more than I could have bought a Patriot for.

Last edited:
I had a 2011 Patriot 4WD FDII w/ 2.4L and it was a great little vehicle. Excellent MPG, roomy even for my fat butt, and no problems to speak of. Had it for 3 years and took a lot of long road trips/vacations with it. I would buy one again in a heart beat. I sold it in 2014 because I always bought a new car every 2-3 years and the new Cherokee was out and I wanted to try one of those.

Most commonly reported issues with the Patriot are front suspension issues( cheap and easy to fix if you run into that ), sunroof leaks( I had a sunroof and not one drop ever leaked even when going through a high pressure car wash - issue is the drain tubes get kinked during assembly or blocked layer with dirt and debris ), and the CVT( I had a CVT and it was fine ). Those are really the three common things with the vehicle that I read about in my years on the Patriot boards. Most models come with a 6spd AT now though so the CVT is avoided in most cases.

The only other "issue" people would complain about quite often is the MPG with the FDII Off Road option. I guess people didn't bother to look at the MPG rating and see that w/ FDII the MPG really takes a hit. It is a real and substantial hit too and from what I saw the MPG rating was overly optimistic and hard for those owners to reach. You should ONLY get the FDII option if you will do a lot of real off roading. Otherwise stick with the FDI if you get a 4WD.

I loved the MPG of my 4WD FDI Patriot though. Conservative drivers can far exceed the MPG rating in FWD and 4WD FDI with ease. I would get as much as 34 MPG highway on trips and always averaged 30 MPG+ for the entire trip. Normal mixed driving netted me low 20's. Another area I felt the Patriot excelled in was bad weather. That thing was a little tank in the snow. It would go through anything I asked it to.

It did everything I wanted it to do and then some. I was very happy with what I got vs. what I paid. Only thing it really struggled with was towing my boat. Even though my boat @ 1700lbs was under the 2000lbs max towing capacity of the vehicle( with tow group which is a MUST )it was about as much as the vehicle could really handle. 2000lbs is not some underrated government agency mandated "safety limit" purposely set low to protect us from our selves. It is a real world max weight the vehicle can handle. If you are going to tow make sure the weight of the towed item( include trailer and all stuff in it )does not exceed 2000lbs!! 1500-1700 is better.

Hope this rambling helps. Haven't had one for a few years and I remembered things as I was typing.

I am not a fan of the vehicle but..

It seems like an expensive move to have a "new" 50% daily driver 50% spare vehicle. I would just ride the existing cars out unless there is that big of a need.

I am of the opinion that basically any and all small SUVs are a better choice, even at the pricepoint. The only really advantages are some of the off-roading kit on very specific models but 99.99999% will never use it. The stripper 4x4 is ok if you are only looking at a new "4WD/AWD" options because there just are not a lot of 4WD/AWD under $20K

Geeze. Fuel economy is fairly poor for a 2.4 with power to all the wheels. 20/26 with a 13.5g tank will get very old, very quick.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

It seems like an expensive move to have a "new" 50% daily driver 50% spare vehicle. I would just ride the existing cars out unless there is that big of a need.

I am of the opinion that basically any and all small SUVs are a better choice, even at the pricepoint. The only really advantages are some of the off-roading kit on very specific models but 99.99999% will never use it. The stripper 4x4 is ok if you are only looking at a new "4WD/AWD" options because there just are not a lot of 4WD/AWD under $20K

Geeze. Fuel economy is fairly poor for a 2.4 with power to all the wheels. 20/26 with a 13.5g tank will get very old, very quick.

I was going to recommend looking at a 2012 Elantra Touring(wagon) but its mileage is about the same, but so is the cargo space. Its probably a nicer drive and I guess will be pretty cheap now.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I don't even know if I'd bother driving the competition, if its 10k more but better, you don't need to know what you are "missing"... They all get you down the road in reasonable comfort.

Noticed they killed the rebates....looks like they are going to lease out the remaining 16s...

No hurry though...waiting to see what they do with the 17s...

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I had a 2011 Patriot 4WD FDII w/ 2.4L and it was a great little vehicle. Excellent MPG, roomy even for my fat butt, and no problems to speak of. Had it for 3 years and took a lot of long road trips/vacations with it. I would buy one again in a heart beat. I sold it in 2014 because I always bought a new car every 2-3 years and the new Cherokee was out and I wanted to try one of those.

Most commonly reported issues with the Patriot are front suspension issues( cheap and easy to fix if you run into that ), sunroof leaks( I had a sunroof and not one drop ever leaked even when going through a high pressure car wash - issue is the drain tubes get kinked during assembly or blocked layer with dirt and debris ), and the CVT( I had a CVT and it was fine ). Those are really the three common things with the vehicle that I read about in my years on the Patriot boards. Most models come with a 6spd AT now though so the CVT is avoided in most cases.

The only other "issue" people would complain about quite often is the MPG with the FDII Off Road option. I guess people didn't bother to look at the MPG rating and see that w/ FDII the MPG really takes a hit. It is a real and substantial hit too and from what I saw the MPG rating was overly optimistic and hard for those owners to reach. You should ONLY get the FDII option if you will do a lot of real off roading. Otherwise stick with the FDI if you get a 4WD.

I loved the MPG of my 4WD FDI Patriot though. Conservative drivers can far exceed the MPG rating in FWD and 4WD FDI with ease. I would get as much as 34 MPG highway on trips and always averaged 30 MPG+ for the entire trip. Normal mixed driving netted me low 20's. Another area I felt the Patriot excelled in was bad weather. That thing was a little tank in the snow. It would go through anything I asked it to.

It did everything I wanted it to do and then some. I was very happy with what I got vs. what I paid. Only thing it really struggled with was towing my boat. Even though my boat @ 1700lbs was under the 2000lbs max towing capacity of the vehicle( with tow group which is a MUST )it was about as much as the vehicle could really handle. 2000lbs is not some underrated government agency mandated "safety limit" purposely set low to protect us from our selves. It is a real world max weight the vehicle can handle. If you are going to tow make sure the weight of the towed item( include trailer and all stuff in it )does not exceed 2000lbs!! 1500-1700 is better.

Hope this rambling helps. Haven't had one for a few years and I remembered things as I was typing.

It helps bunches!
cool.gif
Thank you for the info....

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

While normally I would agree with ya...my fleet is 10,12, and 13 years old. While all still pretty solid drivers for the most part-at that age you just never know. All 3 cars are also small cars, so an SUV would give me more options. All we need is FWD anyways, and those tend to be good on gas....

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Noticed they killed the rebates....looks like they are going to lease out the remaining 16s...

No hurry though...waiting to see what they do with the 17s...

If there is a 17 Patriot? It has been on the chopping block now for like 3 years. It always seems to make the next year though. They are working on a replacement for the Patriot/Compass however and it is in the test mule stage( they are using a stretched Renegade body on the chassis ). The new Patriot( or whatever they call it )will be larger than a Renegade but smaller than a Cherokee.

Last edited:
See my PM, dave.

If you avoid a brands/models because of a decades old experience, then avoid the Patriot.

If you value magazine reviews over personal reviews, avoid the Patriot.

If you need to be a part of the new styles, in-crowd, avoid the "dated" Patriot.

If you dislike simple = better regarding gadgets and infotainment, avoid the Patriot.

If you dislike "reliable, but unrefined" drive train, avoid the Patriot.

If you dislike econobox value, trim, etc., avoid the Patriot.

If you dislike easy oil changes, plugs, brakes, etc., avoid the Patriot.

If you cannot man-up regarding the social stigma associated with Patriot ownership, avoid the Patriot.

If you dislike a sub $19K (maybe $18K) out the door price, avoid the Patriot.

Well it is a step up from a Compass. What was jeep thinking about when they came out with the Compass? Total POS

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Well it is a step up from a Compass. What was jeep thinking about when they came out with the Compass? Total POS

Compass and Patriot are literally the exact same vehicle other than some minor cosmetic differences in the body. Same everything other than one is rounded and one is boxy.

Bought a FWD '12 5-speed stick with 115K a few months ago and have put a few thou miles on it. Personally think it's a nice small SUV overall. It has the smaller 2.0 but it feels smooth as a BMW and easily gets over 30 mpg at 70 mph. It has a tow package and I've hauled 2,200 pounds for 350 miles on the highway and still got 25 mpg. It's seems to be put together pretty well with no squeaks or rattles. I'd probably stay away from the CVT if buying used and out of warranty though.

Originally Posted By: atikovi
Bought a FWD '12 5-speed stick with 115K a few months ago and have put a few thou miles on it. Personally think it's a nice small SUV overall. It has the smaller 2.0 but it feels smooth as a BMW and easily gets over 30 mpg at 70 mph. It has a tow package and I've hauled 2,200 pounds for 350 miles on the highway and still got 25 mpg. It's seems to be put together pretty well with no squeaks or rattles. I'd probably stay away from the CVT if buying used and out of warranty though.

Doesn't the 2.0 only come with the CVT? Know the 6 speed was paired with the 2.4...

Have an appointment tomorrow with my mom's Patriot for the CVT whine and the A/C being dead. I'll update everyone what the outcome is lol.

Originally Posted By: atikovi

Doesn't the 2.0 only come with the CVT? Know the 6 speed was paired with the 2.4...

Well, mine has the 2.0 with a stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back